Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

Lesuit said:
This doesn't actually grow the city in question does it.

Sadly, any number plus zero is going to result in no change to the city population. It'd be nice to be able to use settlers to move population, but that no longer works.

I do have a question, though, does deleting a unit add production to cities, like it did in civ2?

If you only turn certain victory conditions on, does that affect the AIs playstyle?
For example, if only conquest is on will it be more aggressive (sure hope so, better be)?

What is Inflation and how does it work in civ IV? In my current game i have a 36% inflation which is costing me 15gpt what is it and how do i reduce it?

I've searched everywhere for an answer to this question but i cant find one not even in the manual or the civilopedia so i guess this is the best place to ask.

T_Raccoon said:
What is Inflation and how does it work in civ IV? In my current game i have a 36% inflation which is costing me 15gpt what is it and how do i reduce it?

I've searched everywhere for an answer to this question but i cant find one not even in the manual or the civilopedia so i guess this is the best place to ask.

The more gold you have cash, the more inflation you get. You can reduce it by spending money.

I'm playing on a laptop and as I have no numpad it's quite troublesome to move units around the map (need to use the mouse). I haven't really searched but can keys be mapped to our needs or are there alternative keys usable? Thks.

thamis said:
You can only bombard city walls. Then you just have to attack. The higher the collateral damage of your catapult, the more additional units in the city will suffer damage. With three or four catapults you can get four defenders down to a ridiculous strength and then take the city with other units. Downside: You probably lose 2 or 3 catapults.

@Krikkitone: Correct.

thanks for the info.

nosta said:
I'm playing on a laptop and as I have no numpad it's quite troublesome to move units around the map (need to use the mouse). I haven't really searched but can keys be mapped to our needs or are there alternative keys usable? Thks.

you should have a num pad key on your laptop to turn it on. thus changing the right hand said of your keyboard into a number pad. If you look at the letters you should see small and fainter numbers printed on the keys. 789 will have 789 uiop, jkl; m,./ are all the keys that duplicate

to activate it i believe it should be a key combination of the function key and possibly print screen. something along those lines but dont have a laptop infront of me at the moment to check

oljb007 said:
you should have a num pad key on your laptop to turn it on. thus changing the right hand said of your keyboard into a number pad. If you look at the letters you should see small and fainter numbers printed on the keys. 789 will have 789 uiop, jkl; m,./ are all the keys that duplicate

to activate it i believe it should be a key combination of the function key and possibly print screen. something along those lines but dont have a laptop infront of me at the moment to check

Ooww thanks ... I feel stupid now hehe :rolleyes: . I'll try tonight but it should be as you said, thanks !

@nosta: I haven't played Civ 4 yet but isn't it EASIER to use a Mouse to move units anyway? :confused:

I only moved units with a mouse in Civ 3. :)

It's pretty handy to be able to use the keyboard for movement on a laptop with no mouse handy, just those useless touchpads or rubber nipple things.

:) (smiley added for E "smiley" Man ;))

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_Raccoon

The more gold you have cash, the more inflation you get. You can reduce it by spending money.

Actually i found out later today that my searches were not thorough enough. Inflation is in the civilopedia and it says that the bigger your empire is the more inflation you get and there is nothing you can do about it. The only thing you can do to counteract this is to produce more gold.

Are you sure that it depends on how much gold you have in reserve because not being able to control inflation sucks and is unrealistic. Ill check to see if spending cash lowers my inflation in my next game but if it doesn't they should change it cause inflation is annoying.

What is 'Global Input Mode'? Sometimes, I'll see this when I'm zooming in and out. Then, I'll try to move the currently selected unit, and nada, zilch, it just won't move. It was a bit annoying before. Now, it's starting to feel like a game stopping bug.

Just wondering.. Throughout the game I get a popup stating that my cities have reached half a million or a million people.. Does this popup have any effect? What happens when that popup comes up? Erm.. Also is it good to have LOTS of cash or very little? Just wondering..

nRevan said:
Just wondering.. Throughout the game I get a popup stating that my cities have reached half a million or a million people.. Does this popup have any effect? What happens when that popup comes up? Erm.. Also is it good to have LOTS of cash or very little? Just wondering..
I think it has no effect. The most useles popup in the game.

Re. extra cash, it depends. You have to remember that cash in the bank could be tech, so building up lots is usually a bad idea. It could be good to have a lot when you need to upgrade your units. The other big reason to have cash is so you can trade techs more efficently. Ie. you have a tech worth 500, and an AI has 2 worth 260 each. You could get only one for the tech, but if you add a bit of cash you could get both.

Top Bottom