Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

DaviddesJ said:
How do you use the Military Advisor, and what is it good for? I can open it, but there's never any information there.

It is useful for finding a certain unit on the map. Click on the name of the unit and all of that type will glow on the map then click on the glowing dot and you will zoom in to the spot. Other than that it pretty much sucks.

My Question:

When a building goes obsolete (such as scientific method obsoletes monasteries) What does that really mean? Can't build it anymore? (probably) What happens to the ones that are already built?

Steve2000 said:
It is useful for finding a certain unit on the map. Click on the name of the unit and all of that type will glow on the map then click on the glowing dot and you will zoom in to the spot. Other than that it pretty much sucks.

Why are there images of the other civilizations' leaders on the Military Advisor screen? I can click on those leaders, and this adds or removes a highlighted frame around each one, but it seems to have no other effect. What is the point?

Steve2000 said:
When a building goes obsolete (such as scientific method obsoletes monasteries) What does that really mean? Can't build it anymore? (probably) What happens to the ones that are already built?

In the case of monasteries, I believe that you can't build them any more, and you no longer get the 10% bonus to research. But they still allow you to build missionaries, if you have them.

Probably, the exact effects of obsolescence for each building type need to be determined on a case-by-case basis.

DaviddesJ said:
Why are there images of the other civilizations' leaders on the Military Advisor screen? I can click on those leaders, and this adds or removes a highlighted frame around each one, but it seems to have no other effect. What is the point?

IF you can see any of the units of the other leaders (because you have line of sight to their cities due to religion, or the units are in your territory, or you have a spy in their territory) then you can search for enemy units of particular civs by selecting or deselecting their picture.

Thanks for your answer - funny that we each knew the answer to each other's question.

This is a thread for quick questions and quick answers. Just post your questions here without worrying about if it's already covered somewhere else, and hopefully some of the experts will answer them.

Haha my computer fried before I could get some hardcore playing done. With the later improvements are you able to build some of them on the same square as pre-existing ones (eg windmill and farm)? Also, recommendations on where to build cottages?

DaviddesJ said:
In the case of monasteries, I believe that you can't build them any more, and you no longer get the 10% bonus to research. But they still allow you to build missionaries, if you have them.

No. If the monasteries go obsolete, you cannot build missionaries unless you run the Organized Religion civic, which allows you to build missionaries independent from monasteries.

DaviddesJ said:
Probably, the exact effects of obsolescence for each building type need to be determined on a case-by-case basis.

AFAIK, there's a simple rule: An obsolete building will lose all of its effects except its culture production.

no you can't build two improvements on the same tile eg. if there is a cottage and you want to build a windmill it will destroy the existing improvement (the cottage)

I Like to build quite a lot of cottages usually on empty (no resources) tiles. Except next to fresh water where i built farms.

Hope that helps

~Ryanstein

Ryanstein said:
How do I airlift troops and what tech do i need again?

You need an airport in the city where your airlift starts. You can lift to any city, though if the destination has no airport, you can only lift 1 unit there per turn. The tech required is -obviously- flight.

Can I rename units as in Civ3, and if so how? I want to name them according to specialization, i.e. Storm Tanks for tanks with the city raider improvement, Field Tanks with the Pinch and Combat improvements, etc.

Are all the bonuses from promos cumulative? Obviously the Combat ones, +10% each, must be, but Barrage I gives you +20 Collateral Damage, II gives you +30 and III gives +50. So is that a total of 50 or 100?

Quick Question....
Population in Paris has dropped to 1 ! This is in late game (195?) What could be a reason for this ? I did have 'emphasize artist' turned on. Is that it ?
TFHIA :crazyeye:

Hi guys, I'm new to the forum but already am having trouble with rally points and v1.09. I updated yesterday and noticed that now when I set a rally point, then units built in a city do not move to that square automatically. Anyone any ideas on why this is or what options need to be enable to allow the units to move to a rally point, is it is really starting to irritate me, cause as you all know it is so useful for making large attack forces. Suggestions are appreciated. Also I should add that I have just recently tried to see if I could fix the problem via the initialization file but there is nothing in there about rally points, so that has left me with absolutely nothing, which is really annoying because I thought the problem may be in there. Anyway, hopefully someone has found and fixed the problem or at least brought it to the attention of the developers for a patch. Cheers, jakob51

Psyringe said:
No. If the monasteries go obsolete, you cannot build missionaries unless you run the Organized Religion civic, which allows you to build missionaries independent from monasteries.

Are you sure? I was told otherwise (that Monasteries allow you to build missionaries even after Scientific Method), and I set up a test game (using hte world builder) which seems to confirm that.

I was sure, but I was also wrong. Just rechecked one of my savegames and found that I indeed can build missionaries in obsolete monasteries, without having to switch to the organized religion civic. May have changed with the patch, but it's also very well possible that I confused domething when I played that game, perhaps I had the max number of missionaries built and erringly attributed the inability to build more to the obsolete monasteries.

I stand corrected. Thanks for asking and making me check.

Scott Trebble said:
Quick Question....
Population in Paris has dropped to 1 ! This is in late game (195?) What could be a reason for this ? I did have 'emphasize artist' turned on. Is that it ?
TFHIA :crazyeye:

I think this actually happened to one of my games once.

Not sure why.

~Ryanstein

What has happened to "saltpeter"? Why is this resource not in Civ 4? It was one of the most important resources of Civ 3!

Top Bottom