Civs don t build cities?!

Vladi

Chieftain
I d like to play archipelago map, and I saw that all civs don t build cities even they have place in their continents. Many islands are empty. In Civ 3 and 4 you couldn t find place to build city. Can I something set in option or you have the same problem?

I d like to play archipelago map, and I saw that all civs don t build cities even they have place in their continents. Many islands are empty. In Civ 3 and 4 you couldn t find place to build city. Can I something set in option or you have the same problem?

They will build cities eventually, but the AI tends to be quite bad at adapting to sea maps in general, and Archipelago will often have unfilled landspace. Not that it matters greatly, as Frigates + Archipelago map = easy domination victory 90% of the time.

If you find the AI is expanding too slowly, its time to up your difficulty level.

Morocco, Iroquois, and the Zulu are the ones I know that spams cities like crazy.

Russia appears to have the highest expansion flavor and one of the lowest happiness flavors as well. You'll often see them in negative happiness when Catherine chooses an ideology even with the massive AI default and human on Immortal+ happiness handicap.

AI only expand if you are at Immortal level or higher. Otherwise they usually just sit there with 3 cities and get behind in everything. Their second city is ALWAYS in a crap spot close to their caps unimproved luxes, regardless of difficulty level.
They should really add a routine to check what luxes the AI have already settled a city close to....

Top Bottom