Europa Universalis IV

A successful PL Commonwealth, I take it? Huge Austria and Hungary too.

Yeah although weirdly Austria own Danzig so Poland had to integrate Lithuania. Naples have something like 45k troops as well and are allied with Spain and Poland so basically every large nation has a decent alliance.

Why does Austria have Danzig I am still so confused

I'm not sure either. Danzig was an independant state but I'm not sure why Austria ended up annexing them.

Cool, picked up Art of War. Seems like it has stuff I'd be likely to make use of most games.

Art of War is definitely one of the best DLC for EU IV.

A decent amount of Art of War changes are free. I like the idea of league wars but they seem to work a little weird so for instance if a league member is at war they don't seem to be pulled in to the war. Also I don't really like that the league leader can agree separate peaces with everyone which puts me off joining a league if I'm relatively small and have lots of releasable nations.

Just for completeness here is a screenshot of how the game on the other page progressed:
Spoiler :

After several wars with Austria and others I was able to get enough free cities to make it likely that I could form the HRE as Saxony. After that I decided I had to break the alliance with Poland to get their HRE provinces and took some more to expand the HRE and get more IA. The penultimate reform was passed in 1732 with Austria, Hansa and Regensburg rejecting the reform. Since then there have been a couple of wars with Austria to get some vassal cores back and grab some claims.

Amusingly I got a PU over France. Poland without allies decided to contest the claim which didn't go well for them. The Papal States and UK and my current allies whilst my only available rivals are the Ottomans and bizarrely the Papal States.

Its Madurai and the Papal States sieging Colombia btw.

Dat Sarig Yogir. Have they, Nogai, and Scandinavia teamed up to bring down Russia?

I suggest integrating France and thus becoming a monster.

I have successfully dismantled the HRE for the first time in EU4:

Spoiler Large Screenshot :

It was only by the thinnest of margins, as evidenced by the size of my armies on the outliner. I declared war on Austria in 1774, with a goal of taking Munich as well as surrounding lands with the aim of establishing Germany. That initially succeeded, although as seen eventually I lost Munich and Croatia (my ally, whom I freed from Hungary a few decades prior) occupied it. But I realized that of the six electors (one had been conquered), I was already occupying The Palatinate, and if I declared on Nuremburg, I'd be at war with the other five electors as well, including Bohemia who was the Emperor. Alas, Hungary also would fight on Bohemia's side.

So I started a second war, with no allies save my vassal Poland in that war. I intentionally placed troops such that within two months, all save Augsburg and Bohemia (level 4 forts) and Hungary were defeated. But Bohemia and Hungary have about 70,000 troops just on the screen, and a few more not visible; they likely could have defeated my armies had they broken through my outdated fort in Ratibor, and then I would have had no hope save mercenaries of dismantling the HRE that war.

All in all, my armies went from 175K with 156K manpower in reserves to 37K. But I gained many provinces, forced Austria to release a few nations, took a couple of my rivals' strongest forts, dismantled the HRE, and got 92.5% overextension. The amazing thing is that France hasn't declared war on me; I do have strong forts on their borders that would slow them down, but this would be the perfect chance for them to defeat me, and while you can't tell it from this screenshot, they are a worthy rival and nearly equal in military prowess.

Future plans involve forming Germany, attempting to vassalize several small states in southern Germany/northern Italy, potentially experiencing a Revolutionary country, and potentially seeing if I can help the Ottomans recover from grabbing defeat from the jaws of victory - they've been imploding in slow motion for decades, but did finish westernizing. Currently they're losing to Ragusa, but that's their only war, and it would be a challenge to restore them to the better part of their former glory. A century and a half ago an alliance with them was my preferred route to defeat France; now it's questionable whether they can defeat an OPM.

This game is still on 1.12 without Art of War, Common Sense, or El Dorado, but I also have some multi-player games in progress with 1.13 and all of those expansions.

Edit: The Ottomans just became an Orthodox Republic. Mind = blown. It's quite possibly the best thing that's happened to them in decades nonetheless.

how the hell is Kebab losing to Ragusa

Also do you get a relations modifier with HRE princes after you dismantle the institution? Also what even's the point of doing that?

Just as a minor point its useful to put large screenshots in a spoiler tag so that the text doesn't require scrolling.

how the hell is Kebab losing to Ragusa

Also do you get a relations modifier with HRE princes after you dismantle the institution? Also what even's the point of doing that?

Bankruptcy -3 stability, -99 prestige, having been the punching bag of Europe, Asia, and Africa for decades, stuff like that.

Unfortunately you do still have the Unlawful Territory modifier that hasn't burned off yet, but you cannot accrue any more. You also can't have the Emperor demand that you hand over unlawful territory and suffer +10 revolt risk for years if you don't, which is kinda nice. To be sure, though, it would be more useful (though likely more difficult to pull off) earlier in the game - I'll have Unlawful Territory modifiers for the rest of the game since it burns off so slowly.

Just as a minor point its useful to put large screenshots in a spoiler tag so that the text doesn't require scrolling.

Oh yeah, forgot about that since Photobucket images don't display in my preferred browser, so I couldn't actually see the image. I've now spoilered it and verified it's working in Gecko.

Thanks for changing the screenshot. As far as I can tell the biggest problem is that the Ottomans can't get any decent allies so they are basically doomed in the late game. I had a game as Florence recently where I had my usual alliance with France and Poland plus others and the Ottomans just had no chance considering that each time I had a larger navy anyway. If they could ally another great power in Europe then it wouldn't be so one sided.

Finished the Teutonic Order -> Prussia -> Germany game. Formed Germany right around 1800, after annexing Ulm (who controlled Munich) and conquering Nuremburg.

Spoiler Whole World :

Spoiler Europe in 1200p :

Ming did really well this game, they had the world's largest army and were unstoppable. Warsangali came to dominate East Africa, slowly but surely. Yaroslavl -> Russia was my ally for the last 200+ years of the game. They allied with Sibir, rather than conquering them. Muscovy regained independence late-game when Bashkiria imploded, thanks in part to the Horde. If I'd kept my alliance with the Horde instead of Yaroslavl -> Russia when the two went to war, the Horde would have been even more powerful.

Britain and France have kept all their colonies, although French Canada and the Thirteen Colonies in particular have high liberty desires - the Thirteen Colonies has already lost a fight for their independence once. Portuguese Brasil is not actually a colony of Portugal; they gained independence well after (Castillian) Brazil, and the game apparently didn't have another name for them.

Closer in to Europe, Trebizond is my other current ally, though that's a very recent occurrence (last 5 years). From around 1808 to 1817, I was fighting a coalition of France, Venice, Hungary, Switzerland, Austria, and the Papal State, in a duel to determine whether hegemony of central Europe extended to Europe in general. It was a hard-fought war, with excellent fortifications all around; in the end I lost 2 provinces and 2 one-province vassals after 9 years of fighting. I'm actually kind of happy that I did since it meant that even in the endgame, it wasn't a runaway.

The Ottomans have managed to stop their implosion (minus a few Neapolitan noble rebels, but they're no longer going broke every other year). Castille and Naples, however, are currently in the process of imploding. Gelre has the distinction of being the only place in the HRE I didn't try to conquer, thanks to their alliance with Britain and not wanting to fight their navy. Scandinavia has been in a union under Great Britain for more than a century, a situation which has led to lasting peace on the Scandinavian-German border.

Probably going to take a break from single-player EU4 for awhile and get around to some of the other games I have. So far, that's meant playing Civ. :mischief:

I've not used the Paradox forums for some time. They have changed a lot and I cannot log in. They now ask for the e-mail-address instead of the username. When I enter the e-mail my account was linked to to and my old password, it says they cannot find the account. I do not want to open a new account because some of my games are registered under the old one and that registration is needed to access the tech support forums. Any advice?

(I hope it's ok to ask here. I did not want to open a separate thread for this.)

I had a similar issue, turns out you have to go to register a new account using the same email as your old one, and then once you log into the forums you will be asked to merge accounts since they share the same email.

Top Bottom