Weekend Specials Online

NomNom Galaxy is $2
Unity of Command is $4

I still have a back log of games to go through so there no rush to buy grimrock2. Which wont be played for some time. Need to finish Valkyrie Chronicals and Panzer tactics.

The The Witcher series is currently ridiculously cheap on GOG: the first one for £1, the second for £2 and the third at a "mere" £35 (which is a 30% reduction). They even come without Steam DRM.

And it's easily worth ten times that.

yes I'm glad I didn't buy prior, but man, that voting was stupid. How do I know what the best wii U family game is? I haven't played any of them! And you had to verify 3 emails lol. O well, took less than 10 mins

I should point out that my post referred back to my previous post about The Witcher. I have not played Bioshock. :)

Yeah Bioshock Infinite is not worth more than $1 :p

yes I'm glad I didn't buy prior, but man, that voting was stupid. How do I know what the best wii U family game is? I haven't played any of them! And you had to verify 3 emails lol. O well, took less than 10 mins

You don't have to vote in every category. I just voted Splatoon for the Nintendo stuff. I also voted pewdiepie for best gaming personality because that catagory is a joke and so is any awards ceremony/contest.

Yeah Bioshock Infinite is not worth more than $1 :p

You get $1 dollar back when you link Steam to playfire and then play BSI. Though that is $1 in GMG credit.
Theres not much you can get for $1 on GMG. Probably get one of those game bundles to farm steam cards, get some steam wallet money.

The Humble Sale has a make your own paradox bundle going on, it's needlessly confusing with all the different and often conflicting DLC packs for their games. Seriously what the Paradox, I shouldn't have to spend an hour trying to figure out which five DLC packs for EUIV with the base game are the cheapest and most complete. I know people who want their games but don't feel like buying them because the DLC is too confusing, and you never feel like you're done paying for the game.

Really? I just took a look and the stuff HB is offering doesn't look too confusing to me. There's a lot of it there, but the layout is purely HB's affair.

The DLC packs for EUIV are a cluster of confusion anyway, utterly unhelped by Humble's layout of randomly mixing all the games up and the cart's side bar thing not displaying the full name of everything in it (it mostly just shows "Europa Universalis IV: ".

If you mouse over it the full name displays.

Anyways, regardless of clutter the sale is a great way to pick up the five expansions for super-cheap. The clutter forces you to research, sure, but that's always a good thing when it comes to spending money.

I've given up on Paradox Games after CK2. One day I just had enough of feeling like I didn't have a complete game, and trying to figure out every so-often if a new thing coming out for the game was worth it or not. I thought I'd just wait for a final version of their games, a real final ultimate edition or whatever... But when that comes out, they have a new, better version of the game out there, like EUIV after EUIII complete is available, and I lose interest in the ultimate finally complete edition of the previous game. Maybe it works for some people, but personally, I've been done for a while. A lot of the DLC is purely cosmetic, I find these are the worst type of DLCs in my opinion, as they kind of cut off some of the things that contribute to immersion factor, one of the most important aspects of any game for me, yet I'm supposed to feel like it's not necessary DLC so it's okay to sell it apart from the game.

It's a bit like yesterday, I was at the store, there was yogurt for sale, the signs were unclear as to which brands were on sale, and if only certain flavors were on sale, and the "best before" dates were all over the place and rubbed off. There must have been a deal in there, but I just said "screw this" and I didn't buy any yoghurt. I'm a bit of a "give me a thing, or don't, everything in between annoys me too much for me to bother" kind of guy, and I absolutely loathe unnecessarily gray or complicated things. So Paradox, you're like that yoghurt sale, and you're staying on the shelf.

IA lot of the DLC is purely cosmetic, I find these are the worst type of DLCs in my opinion, as they kind of cut off some of the things that contribute to immersion factor, one of the most important aspects of any game for me, yet I'm supposed to feel like it's not necessary DLC so it's okay to sell it apart from the game.

And yet if they sold the cosmetic DLC with the main DLC, people would complain that they're way too expensive, that they're being forced to buy useless cosmetic stuff, that Paradox is gouging them etc.

They don't have to raise the price of the DLC packs if they included the cosmetic stuff in them, nobody is forcing them to that. Given how Ck2 is mostly staring at character portraits and you are trying to remember and keep track of numerous different characters, having them look different is pretty god damn important.

As it is to get into CK2 and get all of the most important of the DLCs, you need someone to tell you which ones to get and you have to wait for a sale or you'll be paying a huge chunk of money which most people simply aren't willing to do (if they are even able to). The way DLC is presented on Steam has improved, but it's still not enough simply due to how much there is for CK2. Going through it is time consuming and a gigantic wall of DLC is definitely intimidating for new customers.

The excuse that "oh it just lets you pick what you really want" is even further eroded by Paradox combining all of the "extra" Horse Lords content into it's own pack. So you can't get the Early Frankish & Germanic units or just the Cuman Portrait Pack by themselves. It costs more than some of the smaller/older expansions... and Horse Lords itself is $15 USD.

It's great they have supported the game and added so much, but it is a bit overwhelming, expensive and time consuming (at leas,t waiting for sales so you can actually afford to buy it). It definitely does leave a feeling of incompleteness at times too, it's certainly put me off playing the game until I got certain expansion.

And yet if they sold the cosmetic DLC with the main DLC, people would complain that they're way too expensive, that they're being forced to buy useless cosmetic stuff, that Paradox is gouging them etc.

That is such a weird way of thinking and it kind of scares me that we've come to this.

Separating assets from games or expansions to be sold separately wasn't even a thing until recently, and I don't think anyone was out chanting "please remove everything that isn't a game mechanic from your expansion, I want to buy it for less".

Especially since "less" isn't that much less in the end. To me it is dishonest to sell things at a ridiculous price and then pretend there is a sale. I'm looking at CK2 on Steam right now on the canadian store and it says there is 250$ of DLC to be bought. That isn't a real price for a game. I mean it can't be. The actual real price is Sales price. I mean, sure, people are free to pay as much money as they want if they so wish, but as I said, personally, I'm out.

Well, you might be surprised, Rub'Rum. If I've learnt anything from frequenting the Paradox forums, the fans generally want multiple differing options and frequently all as vehemently as the others.

I quite get that people can be baffled by the sheer number of DLC and I almost always wait until the new DLC goes on sale, but Paradox used to sell the units packs, face packs and the like all totally separately, which created an even bigger list of "nickel-and-dime" DLC, which of course the fans complained about. I used to buy those packs with my GG blue coins, but since GG stopped selling most EU/CK stuff, I rather went off that idea.

Well, you might be surprised, Rub'Rum. If I've learnt anything from frequenting the Paradox forums, the fans generally want multiple differing options and frequently all as vehemently as the others.

It might work for their current fanbase that they have now, the one actually hanging out on forums. But it doesn't work for me, and who knows how large a potential market of people whose eyes just glaze over.

Top Bottom