Football Manager 2013

I've won promotion to the Conference Premier with three games still to play.

It was straight forward in the end. Once I went for the diamond formation I had no issues.

Now, I expect to have one season of consolidation in the next league followed by promotion in the following season. Is that a reasonable expectation or is it possible to get promoted at the first attempt? Many big grounds to play on next year, Wrexham holds 14,000 people. It is going to be an interesting journey.

It's certainly doable to get back-to-back promotions at the lower levels of English football. There's not a huge difference in ability between divisions. Winning the Conference might be a bit too much of an ask, but the playoffs are definitely a reasonable target, particularly if you've brought in some good players over the summer (and there are usually plenty of decent freebies lying around at the level).

Hmm...I really need to get back into my FM career. Haven't played for a few weeks.

Interesting^^ Phrox. At this level buying players is a mugs game. I've improved my squad by picking up the countless contractless pros floating around the FM universe. I will have a good crack at the Conference. I'm hoping the board will give in and improve the training ground/number of coaching staff i can have (John Harton is my attacking coach atm).

You ought to PhroX! There are some tasty challenges out there. I'm pretty sure that the mod with the new database is availiable as well.

Interesting^^ Phrox. At this level buying players is a mugs game. I've improved my squad by picking up the countless contractless pros floating around the FM universe. I will have a good crack at the Conference. I'm hoping the board will give in and improve the training ground/number of coaching staff i can have (John Harton is my attacking coach atm).

You ought to PhroX! There are some tasty challenges out there. I'm pretty sure that the mod with the new database is availiable as well.

New database doesn't interest me. I'm not starting another game, I'm only 7 years in with this one. Just burnt out for a bit - I tend to play FM intensely for a couple of weeks, then leave it for a month or so.

The main limitation that I faced was that after each promotion my wage budget didn't increase enough to be able to sign a totally new team whilst still having the players from the previous season. I think its definately doable though if you are sign the right players.

The main limitation that I faced was that after each promotion my wage budget didn't increase enough to be able to sign a totally new team whilst still having the players from the previous season. I think its definately doable though if you are sign the right players.

Heh...when I do go back to my save, I'm about to face my first season in the Premiership having signed a grand total of three players, as well as being forced to sell my best performer from the previous year. Should be....interesting :p

What club were you / what were your finances like? I think Lincoln gave me 15 million to spend so I was able to sign a few more players and brought in a couple of players in on loan for a bit of depth.

My club are forced into renovating the stadium in order to meet the stringent rules of the Conference Premier, so my wage budget has been lowered...

My club are forced into renovating the stadium in order to meet the stringent rules of the Conference Premier, so my wage budget has been lowered...

They may increase it again once the season is about to start or after a few games once they realise that they are making more money. On the plus side the free transfer deadline is later than the transfer window.

What club were you / what were your finances like? I think Lincoln gave me 15 million to spend so I was able to sign a few more players and brought in a couple of players in on loan for a bit of depth.

Oh, I've got the money to spend, but I'm being a bit tightfisted, and I'm not prepared to blow my clubs wage structure apart (like, double my current highest wage), which is what I'd have to do to genuinely strengthen based on the players I've found. If I could get some work permits for the non-EU players my scouts have identified, that might be different, but it ain't to be. That said, I'm still pretty optimistic, as I feel my squad is probably good enough for survival.

I'm Sunderland, who I took over 3 years ago after they'd managed to not just get relegated to League 1, but then failed to get back up at the first try. I achieved that, finished comfortably mid-table in the Championship the next season, then won it last year. Before Sunderland, I spend 4 years at Eastleigh (hence my advice to Quackers), getting them into League 1 in the process (from which they were sadly relegated last year).

Anyway, this is my 1st team squad as I prepare for kickoff against Man Utd for my first game...

Heh...whenever the Silverlake needed renovation/improvement in my game, we spent a few months playing at St. Marys. Which was interesting given we had about 1000 regular fans the first time that happened :lol:

Ah okay I've spent quite a lot of time in the last two off seasons going through lists of available players trying to find people who are good, will get a work permit and will accept 20k or less. This season I will be able to offer 30k. Looks like you have a lot of players with great potential so I can see why you don't need to sign anyone else. I think my squad was a bit worse so there was more of a need. Its a slight shame with regen teams that its difficult to compare teams quickly as all the players are unknown. It might be interesting if there was an FM mode that allowed you to pick a game start year with real life players appearing as regens. Could be too easy though.

I have a player who has 3 years of his contract left, he wants a new contract on 45k and I can offer 30k. Should I be looking to sell him now or keep him for another season? Obviously it'll be dependant on whether I get a very good offer for him but I'm curious whether happiness will be an issue.

Also if the ground is being upgraded do you always play games at a different ground? My stadium is being upgraded at the end of the season so I'm wondering if I'll be playing elsewhere. Maybe the City Ground?

Edit: Ended up selling Garcia for 17.5 million to Everton which seems like a good deal although time will tell. Weirdly my stadium upgrade failed to get planning permission after 8 months of planning however on the plus side the board immediately started a new larger expansion which still has the same completion date. I'll be playing at Hillsborough.

They may increase it again once the season is about to start or after a few games once they realise that they are making more money. On the plus side the free transfer deadline is later than the transfer window.

Hasn't happened yet but I haven't needed it. I sold a few players and got some cheaper replacements. Sub-optimal in the short run but these players should develop in the future.
Heh...whenever the Silverlake needed renovation/improvement in my game, we spent a few months playing at St. Marys. Which was interesting given we had about 1000 regular fans the first time that happened :lol:

This didn't happen to me. I'm still at the Silverlake.

I've gone very hard in on the tutoring in this game now i fully understand it. I've completely altered the mentality of many players. Had a player go from semi-pro to championship level determination. Certainly worth it!

10 games into the Skrill Conference Premier league i'm #1. Just one point ahead of 2nd place.
Dell said:
I'll be playing at Hillsborough.

oh-oh...
How has Lincoln developed Dell? Pushing Europe?

i'm gonna be starting a new game on my new computer as an unemployed dude. i've got at least the top two leagues in the top seven countries in europe as playable, plus league 1/2 in england. let's see where i can end up.

^^Tell us what happens. I like reading FM stories.

^^Tell us what happens. I like reading FM stories.

i created an irish/french dude named james murphy. (obscure music reference)

i started out unemployed. my first interview was with blackpool (no declaration of interest either, weird). but then the guy running estac troyes got canned and i took over.

four games in, i'm trying to implement my diamond system on the double. first two games were painful, 0-1 and a 0-2 loss. the next two games, against top five ligue 2 teams, i won by a combined score of 7-1. :crazyeye:

the league table is also crazy, much crazier than i ever had to deal with in portugal. 18 of the 20 teams in ligue 2 are between 27 and 17 points. if my diamond works out well, i can be looking at a good chance of promotion.

also half my team is trash. i'm gonna have some serious overhauling to do in the transfer window.

I've gone very hard in on the tutoring in this game now i fully understand it. I've completely altered the mentality of many players. Had a player go from semi-pro to championship level determination. Certainly worth it!

How has Lincoln developed Dell? Pushing Europe?

Do you sign players specifically to be tutors? I've signed a 15 year old striker however looking through my squad there isn't anyone with a good personality to use and who is old enough. Might ask my main striker to tutor him once he turns 23 in September but his personality is actually slightly worse.

I've just finished pre season and played the third round Uefa cup qualifier round. Won comfortably and now face Aberdeen in the final qualifier. Didn't sign as many new players this season as most players are similar to what I already have.

@madviking, what reputation did you give your manager?

Edit: Won 5-2 (3-1,2-1) against Aberdeen and have been placed in a group with Genoa, Genk and Debrecen. Also signed Cavani on a free transfer, he is 35 now but still probably my best striker. Planning on playing him mostly in cup competitions so that I'm not forced to extend his contract. The added benefit is that I now have a great tutor for my youth striker.

Also Croatia won the 2022 World Cup beating USA 2-1 in the final

Do you sign players specifically to be tutors? I've signed a 15 year old striker however looking through my squad there isn't anyone with a good personality to use and who is old enough. Might ask my main striker to tutor him once he turns 23 in September but his personality is actually slightly worse.

I haven't done that. I've been very lucky that my captain a midfielder, has 19 determination so he can deal with the midfielders whilst i have a supreme highly determined CB and a ST.

I've just finished pre season and played the third round Uefa cup qualifier round. Won comfortably and now face Aberdeen in the final qualifier. Didn't sign as many new players this season as most players are similar to what I already have.

Edit: Won 5-2 (3-1,2-1) against Aberdeen and have been placed in a group with Genoa, Genk and Debrecen. Also signed Cavani on a free transfer, he is 35 now but still probably my best striker. Planning on playing him mostly in cup competitions so that I'm not forced to extend his contract. The added benefit is that I now have a great tutor for my youth striker.

How has Cavani done? I expect to see you qualify from your group. Lincoln City in the knock out rounds of Europe :lol:..fantastic.

----

I've got bad news. I was 1st/2nd battling away with Barnet till about February. Now I've taken a bit of a nosedive. I can't stop leaking goals and my strikers don't want to score anymore. I am 2nd, 10 points behind 1st place. I expect to finish in a play off position but I'm looking at another season in the Conf. Prem :(.

Your form could turn around just in time for the playoffs and I guess a second season in the conference isn't the worst thing in the world as your wage budget should increase.

Cavani has been a little disappointing so far but so has the rest of the team. Lost 6 league games in a row, two wins have lifted the team out of the relegation zone. Our European campain is going okay, lost 0-3 to Genoa but then picked up away wins against Genk and Debrecen. My defence of the league cup is also over after losing to Arsenal in the second round.

Well, my boss just gave me two season tickets to my local team, Real Salt Lake, for the next 15 years. Guess I need to start learning how the sport is played. So I picked up the game on Steam thinking it would teach me.

Started off with my hometown team, watched as they won the MLS Cup two years running before I got job offers to two American owned teams, Man U and Liverpool, the latter having won the Capital One Cup and England's Premier Championship (Forgot what it was called) so I chose them. Promptly started losing and could not figure out why, on paper my team looked good, excellent strikers and a topnotch goalie, but they just could not win on a consistence basis.

Is there a big difference between the way the game is played in America as opposed to Europe or England? I have been trying to do it the way I did it with Real Salt Lake and it is obviously not working. Maybe they just don't want to play for an American. :p

Top Bottom