Stellaris: Paradox can into space

I find the "everybody starts small" and the randomized sandboxy aspects an intriguing, attractive combination. I generally like starting from smaller situations and working my way up rather than having to manage a giant state from the get go, and I love my sandbox gameplay that allows me to do wtf I want. Might be very good synergy here.

I find the "everybody starts small" and the randomized sandboxy aspects an intriguing, attractive combination. I generally like starting from smaller situations and working my way up rather than having to manage a giant state from the get go, and I love my sandbox gameplay that allows me to do wtf I want. Might be very good synergy here.

In my opinion, considering the focus on exploration, the something symmetric, small starts make perfect sense from both a thematic and gameplay standpoint.

In my opinion, considering the focus on exploration, the something symmetric, small starts make perfect sense from both a thematic and gameplay standpoint.

That's a good point. I'm interested in how they'll make random emergent narratives about the backstory of your species or whatever especially if you have a custom one.

Speaking of custom races, I think I'm gonna make my first be Space Asians who practice Xwedodah. Actually I think I'll make all of them like that. Bring Xwedodah back to the stars, from whence it came.

This reddit link has a list summarizing everything known so far about the game, including some stuff taken from non-English sources: https://www.reddit.com/r/Stellaris/...we_know_so_far_a_somewhat_comprehensive_list/

Of interest to me is the fact that all the races/factions in the game will be randomly generated based on 7 phenotypes - molluscoid, mammalien, fungoid, avian, human, and reptilian and one currently unknown base - so instead of having seven established, rigid factions with determined traits and abilities like you would in another game, the factions will be completely random based on these seven bases.

The focus on CKII-style characters with backstories and traits also sounds very good.

Johan posted a thread on Paradox linking to a...first impression video or something. It is apparently in German but some of the highlight, according to a poster, is

1. Characters can be generals, admirals, scientists, and governors, but it isn't entirely clear if "governors" are like Civ/4x governors or CK2-styled dukes.

2. You can spawn with up to sixteen starting spacefaring civilizations. These spacefaring civilizations can rise and fall and splinter over time. Since they said "up to", I

3. You science ships can come across non-spacefaring civilizations. Depending on how radical the scientist is, you can simply observe for a science gain, abduct and experiment on the species of the planet, enslave them, conquer them, give them space tech, etc.

4. Speaking of scientists, the traits of your scientists determines how they will react to certain discoveries. A religious zealot of a scientist may choose to demolish a blasphemous artifact.

5. Apparently, breeding a slave race is a thing.

6. End game crisis system is closer to the Revolution/League Wars of EUIV than the crisis system in V2. Civilizations can react in different ways, including banding together to confront the problem or taking a wait-and-see position and let some poor schmuck take the blunt.

That's a good point. I'm interested in how they'll make random emergent narratives about the backstory of your species or whatever especially if you have a custom one.

Same here. There's a lot going for this game hype wise, and the first impressions I've read/seen from people at Gamescon have been positive, though they all note there are still balance issues (late alpha build, that is to be expected).

I would really like to see some set of victory conditions available in this, the paradox grand strategy formula is good but the lack of "winning" has always turned me off after the midgame.

So, we could be seeing the game in just a few months then.

Hey I'm the one that's supposed to post des diaries! :gripe:

Anyways hopefully they pull off the 4X stuff while still keeping the mid and late game interesting.

I'm also hoping they will tell us about the RPG/character-focused/Xwedodah elements more, that's my main interest right now.

Make your damn mod not require Horselords portraits and we'll talk :p

Unless I can use an old version of the portait mod with the current (or whatever it was when I downloaded) it version of HIP... I haven't checked yet.

So, we could be seeing the game in just a few months then.

If I had to use a guess with absolutely no basis I would say late Q1 or early Q2. Of course that would clash with a probably HoI4 release so maybe not :dunno:

Make your damn mod not require Horselords portraits and we'll talk :p

Unless I can use an old version of the portait mod with the current (or whatever it was when I downloaded) it version of HIP... I haven't checked yet.

Hey man, I've retired from modding a long time ago, I don't really keep up with what my successors at CPR are doing. :D

Back in my day I usually waited a month or two before I integrated the newest portrait sets, to give players a chance a bit more flexibility to buy the portrait DLCs.

Anyways, I think I might have some older versions of HIP lying around, I can post them on the CKII thread if you're interested, but you'll have to merge the old files to the new ones yourself at your own risk.

I'll definitely be watching this as it develops. I've been looking for a modern game to capture me like olde schoole Master of Orion did and nothing has so far.

That does look very interesting.

Not only does it look pretty interesting, I also have a new desktop background. Definitely a fan of the art direction so far.

Wonder if you'll be able to choose who you play as, or if there are certain aliens that you'll meet but can't play as? Don't know if it would be a good idea to play my first game as a mind-controlling parasite or not...

Not only does it look pretty interesting, I also have a new desktop background. Definitely a fan of the art direction so far.

Wonder if you'll be able to choose who you play as, or if there are certain aliens that you'll meet but can't play as? Don't know if it would be a good idea to play my first game as a mind-controlling parasite or not...

You can start as one of a few premade races or make one from scratch as far as I understand it.

Top Bottom