Dawn of Colonization Sign-Ups

The Empire of the Dragon (Note: The Dragon has to do with the traditional Chinese symbol, and comes out of legend. There are no actual dragons.)

Capital: Wherever Shanghai is, and claim 4 territories adjacent to it.

Religion: Celto-Catholicism (If I can, I'd like to make a schismatic religion that is more influenced by Eastern ideas...)

Type of Government: Monarchy

History: The Chinese people have occupied the land of the Far East for thousands of years. In the year 1300, the Emperor Xu Kong I told a great epic story about his slaying of a dragon at the age of nine. The people tried to build him a temple and worship him as a god, but Xu Kong refused and instrad told the people that Jesus Christ revealed the way to Salvation, but that the Celto-Catholics had lost many key elements of the message, including Monotheism and a number of Eastern ideas. However, he did stress that in spite of this, the Celto-Catholics were a force for good in the world, and that reunification of the Churches should be sought and, to assist with this, the Eastern Catholic Church (If he officially approves it, I'd like to call our branch of Catholicism "Oriental Catholicism", which, I will note, is in schism with the Church) should appoint him the Emperor and the Pope. The tradition of the Head of State being the Head of the Church did not remain, however. Instead, within seven years, the new leader was assassinated, with one of his sons taking the Papacy and the other the Empire. The two families frequently dispute, but still insist both are on the same path to righteousness and a strong empire in the Empire of the Dragon, and that both seek a reunification with the western Celto-Catholic Church, as well as a strong empire for the citizens of southern China to work prosperously in. This system has continued on to the present day.

Legal system: There's one Emperor. However, there is a sort of limited Parliament with three Houses, the Clergy (Elected by the Clergy of the Oriental Catholic Church) one house elected by the nobles (A small percentage of the population descended from Xu Kong I) and the house of the masses (The rest of the population, though only Oriental Catholics are allowed to vote). In the interest of reunification, we try to deal as fairly as possible with the Celto-Catholics without compromising the religious integrity of the Oriental Catholic Church. We allow them to keep their own religion in their own homes, though we do have financial incentives to come to the newer Church, and we do prohibit any Celto-Catholics from proselytizing Oriental Catholics (The other way around is legal) and anyone breaking this law are deported to any Celto-Catholic country that will take them, or imprisoned. Any other religions must either recant or be executed by the state. We do allow a few Celto-Catholic parishes, but we do not allow conversion from Oriental Catholicism to Celto-Catholicism, even if voluntary and non-proselytized.

Capital Punishment is firmly in use for the vast majority of crimes, though minor crimes are punished with less, and feudalism is still the prevailent economic system of the nation.

@Sonereal If there are any problems with this nation, or anything you need added, please let me know

At first galance, I have none other than do you have a prefer name for your schismatic religion (otherwise I'll call it Chinese Catholicism).

At first galance, I have none other than do you have a prefer name for your schismatic religion (otherwise I'll call it Chinese Catholicism).

If you really wanted it to be Chinese Catholicism that's fine, but I do prefer the name I picked, which is Oriental Catholicism (The idea is that its based on Eastern ideas, but I don't want to imply its only for the Chinese:p)

just pick up Taoism and roll with it. Its more culturally appropriate (and thus realistic) anyway than putting some form of syncretic christian/pagan fusion in the east.

1. Buddhism (Mongolia)

This probably needs to be explained. Anyone that knows Buddhism is probably wondering how the violent Mongolians can follow this religion. It is explained below. Basically it is a new spin on a already strange off-shoot on Buddhism. Others can branch off BACK into the original Buddhism if they so wish.

Shadow Buddhism

Written Historical Record; (Boring Factual Version)
Spoiler :
The age of the last Buddha ended when the Red Death spread across the globe. His words lost to legend. Gautama Buddha's teachings were gone, all that remained were a few scraps that Temujin carried with him.

These scrabs contained not the original works. But that of Vajrayana Buddhism and even this off-shoot was not good enough for the war-like Mongol's. Temujin attained enlightenment like all Buddha's but his focus was not on escaping the suffering inherent in the world. But in fighting it.

Based from the off-shoot of Buddhism known as Vajrayana Buddhism. This old religion was rife with Death Symbolism and exoneration. Those that fell were not allowed to go to waste. Skulls became Idols of focus, Trumpets were made from thigh bones. This was done to remind the people that death was coming and nothing they did in this incarnation would matter. Only if they achieved enlightenment and escaped this world would they have meaning. A second lesser known reason was that experienced practitioners would offer up a portion of themselves, their very ego unto malevolent spirits. This was considered a bold sacrifice that could help them attain enlightenment.

Temujin attained enlightenment but he did not seek to flee the world. It would be cowardly to both himself and his people to do so. Instead he set his sights on changing the world itself. He acknowledges that it is a dark and cruel world full of suffering. But he preaches that people can eventually change the world to make one where everyone can ascend if they so choose. He does not hold with the old ways of pure Order and Pacifism. Seeing this as cowardly escapism. He also does not hold with the dark ways of Chaos and consorting with Demons. Seeing this as Selfish, bargaining up parts of yourself and others of mankind only to buy your own freedom, leaving others behind to suffer.

Thus the Mongolian Buddhism has a strange duality. It honours those that choose to walk a path of sin and murder for the benifit of mankind, knowing they will stay stuck in this world for more incarnations. But it reviles those that would do these things only for themselves to escape or because they crave the darkness. While they respect those that choose a life of peace they only do so If it is a life that also leaves the world a better place. Those that refuse to fight at all are seen as cowards. Running from the world.

Temujin, or as he is now known, Genghis Khan II, is the new Buddha. He is not perhaps the Buddha people expected but he is perhaps the one they need. He calls his religion Shadow Buddhism as it stands between the darkness and the light. Between Order and Chaos.

Spoken Historical Record; (Interesting Word of Mouth Version)
Spoiler :
These are the words of our ancestors and our descendants still to come, still locked in the cycle of cruelty. Listen now and know that which you once knew;

Hear us, oh poor children, in your lives of despair locked in your prison do not give in! Darkness encroaches upon you and tempts you with cravings for sin! Light burns you and lures your with a promise of escape! Do not give in Children! Hear us!

Know in your hearts that the battle was lost long ago, when the world was thrown into Darkness! But while a battle has been lost, while your souls shine, the war continues onwards! Hear our history so that you may plan our future.

In the time before time this battle has been fought! This is not the first world, the last world fell in fire, but it's death heralded a primordial wind that birthed this cosmos. Each cycle arose from Darkness, all with an escape to Light. Yet here we arise, the few pale sparks of life and our endless Struggle!

Thus began the fate of Mortals. To wade through the darkness, fighting and dying by the untold millions. Only to be reborn again and again! Though you are young your soul knows the terror of this world, it has not forgotten these terrible truths! We have hidden, we have fled, we have fought and we have died. Listen... you small few who come after us learn from our mistakes. listen! You who stand on the furthest edges of time may yet have hope.

Rejoice in the endless Struggle! The Paradox of your existence, for what you learn you will leave behind for the next cycle. Your words will be their wisdom, your creations their weapons and your bones their tools. Do not give in, do not flee, but rejoice against the Choas! Live, Love, Laugh, Know the passions in this world and relish them. Let not the cruelty and despair of this world touch you.

Create Children! Build with your own two hands something that will endure, if it falls let the next generation build it better, learn from our mistakes. Do not flee to the Light or give in to the Darkness. Each of you that stays and fights makes this world a better place. We build something of our own making until one day we will pierce the heavens themselves and tear down this cruel cycle of terror.

Believe. Stand against your enemies. Let the darkness tremble for we are legion and unending. We are the dead and our voices whisper in your ears. Build a throne atop our bones and let nothing stand in your way.

These are the words of the first council of Shadow Buddhists, those loyal to our lord and the vision of building a paradise upon this earth.

Schism is so much more fun:p

Then go schismatise from Buddhism or something and found some other buddhist sect. I can think of about 20 sects of Buddhism off the top of my head at the moment :p (Shingon, Zen, Drukpa, Gelugpa, Theravada, Pure Land etc etc)

You could even schismatise off into some other east asian religion/philosophy. You could go into chinese legalism from Confucianism for example, or Cao Dai if your really into syncretism :p

And this is why I'm secular.

meh, just add some more pagans to the mix :p, although I suppose the worshippers of the monolith fit that.

. Others can branch off BACK into the original Buddhism if they so wish.

Challenge Accepted

Name: Kingdom of Tibet

Government: Theocratic Non-Herediality Monarchy (Current Ruler: Gendun Gyatso Palzangpo, 2nd Dalai Lama)

Capital: Lhasa

Religion: Tibetian Buddhism (schism of Buddhism reconizing the Dalai Lama as the reincarnation of the previous one, who is turn the reincarnation of Buddha. They reconized said position as the true leader of the Buddhist faith, and is trying to steer the religion back to its pacifistic, utopian roots)

History: Later

Map:

Attachments

• Tibet.png
    Tibet.png
    15.2 KB · Views: 52
Now all we need is some people to occupy sub-saharan/west africa.

People are just saying that they will be schismatising from the outset. Ergo as soon as the game starts people will start schisms against this, that and another in-game religion.

Challenge Accepted

Buddhism of Light and Order Revealed
Pledge allegiance or suffer excommunication! Heretic, you obviously do not understand the ways of the Buddha, for those that escape the cycle of Terror through enlightenment are not reborn or reincarnated, thus your leader cannot be one of the old Buddha's Reincarnations!

We will however accept and acknowledge your Dali Lama as a enlightened wise man choosing to forever reincarnate instead of escape and teach others to escape in his place. It is both Cowardly to encourage others to flee yet also Brave to stay himself. In this we could find understanding. IF you accept Shadow Buddhism as the founding philosophy and do not try to tempt those in our flock to your ways. You may try to enlighten those unknowing and those of other faiths but not our own.

We dub thee Order Buddhism in our own tongue, The Light that tempts, will you reveal yourselves as cowards and admit this or pledge some form of allegiance and usefulness?

Armies cost $2/1 pop each

What does this mean?

Does it mean each army costs $2
Does it mean each army costs $(2 divided by population of the nation)
Does it mean each army costs $(2 per population of current army)

Also, any upkeep costs?

People are just saying that they will be schismatising from the outset. Ergo as soon as the game starts people will start schisms against this, that and another in-game religion.

Yeah, but at least put the original religion in your religion box to make it easier for the GM.

What does this mean?

Does it mean each army costs $2
Does it mean each army costs $(2 divided by population of the nation)
Does it mean each army costs $(2 per population of current army)

Also, any upkeep costs?

I'm pretty sure it is $2 AND 1 pop, so you lose one population everytime you build a unit. Is that correct?

Top Bottom