Tech industry general discussion thread

You, nor Mozilla, should not make that decision for every other user on the planet. Luckily, there are choices on the market. Just like how I immediately rejected the latest Opera because they stupidly... REALLY STUPIDLY... decided bookmarks were passé.

Should browser controls be made available to easily disable HTML5?

I haven't actually seen that advert, but someone else informed me of them. Now you're the second one. Still, it has taken 8-9 months for some proper advertising.

I'm going to buy that pikmin game later today. I'll let you or any other curious person know how it is.

Should browser controls be made available to easily disable HTML5?

Hypertext markup language is how information is displayed in a browser. That's the whole point of a web browser, to display HTML via a HTTP connection. That's a browser's most core, basic function, so to disable that is just...well, no to answer your question.

JavaScript is an optional non-necessary feature that enhances web browsing, nothing more. It should be treated as such and the user should be able to easily disable/enable it (if it is included in the browser's built-in capabilities) just as easily as any 3rd party plug-in should be able to be easily disabled/enabled by the user.

Hypertext markup language is how information is displayed in a browser. That's the whole point of a web browser, to display HTML via a HTTP connection. That's a browser's most core, basic function, so to disable that is just...well, no to answer your question.

JavaScript is an optional non-necessary feature that enhances web browsing, nothing more. It should be treated as such and the user should be able to easily disable/enable it (if it is included in the browser's built-in capabilities) just as easily as any 3rd party plug-in should be able to be easily disabled/enabled by the user.

HTML5 is an optional non-necessary feature that enhances web browsing compared to HTML4, nothing more.

In fact, HTML5 does a huge portion of what Javascript used to be necessary for on pre-HTML5 browsers.

How about stylesheets? They're also an optional non-necessary feature that enhances web browsing, nothing more.

No, it's not. HTML4 is being deprecated, many tags having already been done away with. HTML5 is the new standard for hypertext markup language. It's nothing "optional" at all, it's the standard to be.

I just need a command line and Lynx to browse, everything else is optional.

You shouldn't disable javascript.

It's like having a checkbox to disable css or html5.

This falls into a "big brother knows best" category huh? Well here is my middle finger bro.

The reason I like the windows OS (still) is because they give users more options then [cr]apple. So no, I don't think it's good for Mozilla to be eliminating user options because the lowest common denominator cannot resist clicking on a check box. #$@%, stop letting these devs from catering exclusively to the base intellect of a 4th grader.

Ofc I'm not surprised at your view on this as you are an apple fanbois yourself.

Personally I value the option to make most websites inoperable. I don't often do it but I like having the option to do it easily.

Regarding Firefox and the eliminated checkbox:

As long as I can change it in about:config or by editing a simple text file, I don't mind. In general, I think a lot of software is overloaded with supposedly simplified controls for everyday tweaks.

Software should work like an appliance if you don't care about details, and be accessible under the hood for those who care to look.

I have to agree with you Iranon, as long as I can disable it in about:config eliminating the checkbox is tolerable.

Ofc I'm not surprised at your view on this as you are an apple fanbois yourself.

I wouldn't call someone that is (practically) the only major defender of Windows 8 on this entire forum an 'Apple fanboy'.

edit: wouldn't.

Top Bottom