New Unit; Early Marine infantry

Smoking mirror

Ships Captain
Hello Sailor!
Ive got the whole infantry thing done finaly, realistic run, good death animation, and non jerky movements. Great, so now I am gonna work on some other infantry units, the medieval swordsman has been confirmed as a non UU in the new XP, as has a gurilla unit; The next one I do will probably be a kind of light "guards" infantry, with SMG and grenades.

For the moment this is a early marine infanty unit, Marine infantry were used frequently as military reserves in WWII by the Russians, with several marine infantry battalions taking part in the battle of Stalingrad.
The units look is based on my memories of Captain nemos Marines from red front (summer version), though when I looked at the unit again there were differeces :D, not least of all the fact that it turned out to be done by alex the magnificent.

Heres a shot of my unit, and for comparrison, alex's marine unit (summer/winter) and a few light infantry units;

Attachments

• russians2.gif
    russians2.gif
    4.9 KB · Views: 5,531
To use the unit create a folder in your civIII/art/units folder called Sailor and put the contents of this zip file in it;

Here

If you use this unit as marine infantry (with the Amphibious tag) you could use the firaxis marines as modern infantry, as people have been saying that they need something to use if they don't have oil/rubber resources (In the modern era you should be able to produce a synthetic rubber) otherwise the most advanced ground unit you can ever build is the rifleman.

Also the firaxis marines look far too advanced for the industrial era.

Here is a preview of the death animation;
(Does anyone know how to speed up Gif Animations, ive set the frame delay at as low as it will go and its still turtle speed, are there any special settings, remember I use corel photopaint).

Attachments

• sailorpreview.gif
    sailorpreview.gif
    76.2 KB · Views: 3,956
Is it just me, or is that link faulty? It comes up that the page is not available.

Smoking Mirror,

The link does not seem to work...

C'mon Smoking Mirror, get your freakin' act together! Too busy playin' around with your sailors, eh?

hey i noticed the AttackB i haven't played it in the game but what is he doing and how does your two attacks work when your attacking in the game, does it play both in a loop?, does it play B once then loop A?

Sorry guys I was away from the computer for a couple of hours and I forgot to test the link:(
originaly I was going to use attack A "readies gun" and attack B "fires Gun" but I found out that before an attchk the fortify animation is played so I just switched the attack a over to fortify.

I'll change the link in the first post, I did'nt expect so many responses so quickly.

Nice animation! I have one comment however, if this guy is wearing a barret....it seems strange that something like a barret actually fly so far when he dies (A heavier helmet I could understand ;) )

Kick ass! This is a great unit, now I can use the marine graphic for my Foot Soldier.

Thanks for the compliments; I kind of lost controll of the hat on the way down, it was attached to the object group "Torso", so as the torso moved, so did the berret, when I tried to ungroup it out of the torso, and in to the main scene, it rescaled itself and went all weird; guess Iv'e not got all the bugs out yet:) . I finaly finished the unit late last night, and realised that one of the animations I did had overwriten something else (I forgot to turn the story board in to a flic) any way, after a couple of hours of moving the guys limbs I was eager to be finished, So I just left the hat as it was (I wanted the fall of the gun to be more gradual as well, but I lost control of it too) Next time, i''l be more carefull with my groupings.

I still don't know what happened with the link, I uploaded properly, and put in the right text. It even wouldn't work when I tried to fix it. Eventualy after three tries it worked, I'll have to keep a closer Eye on the download link in the future

As a former US Marine who loves soviet units thanks for all your hard work Smoking Mirror I will try this one out

Originally posted by EasilyConfused
Smokingmirror, can the US Military Team use this unit? If so, do you want to join? Here's a link:[/URL]

Moderator Action: Please don't advertise other sites here. Either put it in your sig, or on the Other Civ3 Sites. This was posted about the time I told everyone there not to advertise, so I'm letting you edit this post.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Welcome to CFC Fredeye... but please do take note when the last post in this thread was: 5 years ago. ;) You just bumped a really ancient thread.

Top Bottom