Special Unit Effects

Gary Childress

Student for and of life
Overall this is going to be a thread for "special effects". I hope to have a couple of different variations of a paradrop added eventually to this thread as well as improved versions of my prior Flak Bursts and a bomb dropping animation or two (including an improved Blockbuster).

PARADROP

I consulted Vuldacon for help on this and tried to follow his advice as best I could. I may have strayed off on a couple points but overall I think I came reasonably close to what he suggested given my current abilities.

Basically, it's a single FLC file which can be added to any of Wyrmshadow's truly awesome transports to simulate a paradrop. I've included instructions for application in the Readme file in case anyone needs them. There are no PCX files as this is not a stand alone unit.

I've game tested it and everything appears to work OK. Just let me know if I need to correct anything. Thanks.

[EDIT] Note: all directions appear the same in the FLC. I didn't see a need to vary the direction of the drop as the net effect would be the same in every direction anyway.

Version 1

Version 2

Download is here:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=7305

[EDIT] As of 5:00AM 10/7/07 this file has been upgraded in the database. The new file incorporates a palette which Vuldacon created specifically for the unit and which cleans up the unit substantially in the game. If you downloaded this before 5:00AM 10/7/07 PLEASE go back and download this one more time. I've also included a second variation of the paradrop in the new download so you get two for the price of one even!!

Thanks.

That's a very good idea!

Thanks Steph!

I just received a palette from Vuldacon and uploaded a new cleaned up version of the paradrop, actually 2 versions in one pack now. With the new palette the FLC is much, much slicker than I originally had it.

I tried to make something that I thought did the most justice to Wyrmshadow's incredible transports. Hopefully this does the trick. :)

I like them. :)

Great animations, they look really cool :). Keep up the great work :goodjob:!

Good animation!

If you plan more of those, I strongly suggest you have a look at the Firaxis Bombard animations (the land impact animations and water splashes)

You find them in \Civ3\Civ3PTW\Art\Animations\Trajectory

They could really need some replacement.

Good animation!

If you plan more of those, I strongly suggest you have a look at the Firaxis Bombard animations (the land impact animations and water splashes)

You find them in \Civ3\Civ3PTW\Art\Animations\Trajectory

They could really need some replacement.

Yes, this would be great!:)

Great paradrop animation. I love paratroopers so much. I will have much use for this. (It looks great in the ww2 pacific scenario.

Thanks guys. I'm glad people will be able to use them. I think that's always the best feeling for any unit maker.

@ Ares de Borg and Civinator: I hope to give the bombard effects a try at some point in this thread. The only problem I had been having is that the explosion scenes I have been working on lately have been causing Bryce to run extreeemly slow. If I can't figure a way to get Bryce to speed up a little to where I can do some experimenting I may not be able to do any explosion graphics. :( On the optimistic side, I haven't had a chance to try Bjornlo and Wyrmshadow's advice yet so maybe that will help. :)

Instead of "flashy" explosions, I'd prefer some dust thrown up high in the air. This would makes it more versatile because it could be caused by any impact, even before the atomic age.

Great concept! I look forward to seeing your work!

Top Bottom