Srivijaya or Majapahit?

ElmoEmo

Chieftain
Personally, I don't like that they added Indonesia the game. No offense to the Indonesians, it's just that I prefer the historical empires.

So, if the developers were to choose between Srivijaya and Majapahit, which empire has your vote? and why.

To be honest, you could make an argument that Indonesia as is in the game is a representative of the old empires given how they're set up, they just chose to name it Indonesia for name recognition.

To be honest, you could make an argument that Indonesia as is in the game is a representative of the old empires given how they're set up, they just chose to name it Indonesia for name recognition.
Well, it's not just an argument. That's how it is.

The OP just seems to want the name to be changed.

Pretty indifferent myself. They used my candi idea, so I'm happy. :)

For all I care they could have called Indonesia "The Dutch East Indies", it was called that longer than it has been called Indonesia.

The civ name is fine - the anachronistic use of a modern city list with a Majapahit-themed civ is somewhat awkward, and I'd have preferred a Majapahit city list, bit it's hardly a serious problem.

I think that this was done to sum up the island's entire history, rather than a part of it. It's comparable to Germany, with a leader primarily famed for Prussia, and a UA reflecting its previous people. On the subject of changing names, "America" refers to the continent rather than the country.

Basically, the only good reason to go with Majapahit over Indonesia would be if they had material for a contemporary Indonesia, which they don't. There really aren't clear points of demarcation for when a civ stops being one civ and starts being another.

I know many people in this forum like neat little symmetry and universal qualifiers, but that just isn't Civ V. I mean, the Huns, man. The Huns are a civilization in this game. 'Nuff said (well, should be anyway).

Personally, I don't like that they added Indonesia the game. No offense to the Indonesians, it's just that I prefer the historical empires.

So, if the developers were to choose between Srivijaya and Majapahit, which empire has your vote? and why.

They chosen Majapahit, named Indonesia and gives a modern Indonesian city list.

So you're saying you don't like the names of the civs ingame? So in that case, Firaxis can make an Abbasid Caliphate civ with Harun al-Rashid and a Rashidun Caliphate civ with Abu Bakr. Anyway, I prefer Majapahit cause Gajah Mada was a Prime Minister of the Majapahit Empire

Between Gajah Mada, the Candi, and the Kris, Majapahit is represented almost 100%

The only difference is the city list and the title "Indonesia" - but that is hardly a concern because we've seen how the devs do this with many other civs. And Indonesia, centered around Java, is the cultural, geographical, spiritual and historical extension of the Majapahit so it's not like it's a stretch either

Top Bottom