[Religion and Revolution]: Mod Development

Status
Not open for further replies.
If a colonist is still alive after 10 battles I assume they would already have a 10% strength promotion. Are you just talking about changing the uniform, or are you going to give them another 10% because they are a veteran?

I am talking about changing the UnitType just as it is written in the concept. :)
(UNIT_COLONIST -> UNIT_VETERAN, see again Colonists become Veterans through battles won)

Mapsize "Gigantic"

Hi guys, Gomer once asked to implement a bigger mapsize.

I was totally against that, because experience had shown, that a lot of games were crashing (mostly midgame or lategame) at very big mapsizes,
because of performance reasons.
(A very typical Civ4 and CivCol problem.)

Also, we are introducing a lot of new features and a lot of new graphics, which might all have an impact on performance ...

I was simply afraid of having many complaints from players, because of games crashing.

My experience is, that - for me personally - extremely huge maps (8times bigger, than what TAC has as largest mapsize) generally work ok.
(Of course, round times may become pretty long ...)

Also, we have introduced a lot of new Native Nations.
I would really be a pitty to have games, with not all of them on the map ...

So, should we take the risk and implement Mapsize Gigantic ?
(Nobody would be forced to play that new mapsize. :dunno:)

Maybe going from 6400 plots (64*100, as current biggest mapsize) to 15000 plots (100*150, as new biggest mapsize).
Also, we would have of cours all nations on map.

Mapscripts that define size themselves would be adjusted in similar relations.

Sometime in the future (later release), it would then of course be really great, if we also had maps using that new mapsize.

Feedback ? :)

Yes! I agree, because I always think that the maps are not big enough. :D

And with the new nations it would be fine, if we find a way to bring bigger maps into the game without crashing the game...

Yes! I agree, because I always think that the maps are not big enough.

I absolutely agree too!:D The maps have always been far too small, even the huge ones. If you play on a historic map, it is even more noticable. South America is not too bad, but the Caribbean is rarely more than three or four tiny islands, and North America is very squashed, especially the east coast. You cannot get more than four colonies along it.:aargh:

I've been playing around with the idea of a map size of 200 plots in length and 150 plots in width. That way the map is big enough to accomodate all the civs we have, and still leave enough empty areas on the continents so's not to spoil the discovery aspect of the gameplay. I haven't got too far into any game, but so far this size has not crashed. It has however made game turns quite slow.

We could also try my "normal" settings for maps ... :dunno:

200 width * 300 height = 60000 !
(As I said, it is about 8times bigger than biggest size in TAC)

As I said, for me this was working (with TAC).
Game turns got pretty slow in lategame ...

Playing on own risk ! ;)
(Don't complain, if you choose this and your game will crash in lategame ...)

Ok, after we have added our last 3 planned new Native Nations, I will create that mapsize. :)
(XML and also adjusting mapscripts where necessary.)

Maybe sometime in the future somebody would also like to create a map (complete "New World" for example) of that size ...

In Col Vanilla I could load empty wagons onto ships.

TAC removed this feature, as did some other mods. I raised it in the TAC thread and said that there really shouldn't be a problem loading an empty wagon if you could load 100 horses into a cargo bay.

At the time my comments were picked up by the R&R mod and I thought you decided that you would reinstate this, although suggested that an empty wagon would take more than one bay and perhaps only on bigger ships.

Anyway I don't seem to be able to load an empty wagon onto an empty galleon. Did you decide not to do this?

Anyway I don't seem to be able to load an empty wagon onto an empty galleon.
Did you decide not to do this?

Are you sure, that you cannot load a Wagon Train on an empty Galleon ? :confused:
(Galleons should be able to transport Wagon Trains, but they will use up a lot of gargo slots.
Otherwise you could have cheating strategies ...)

Maybe I just forgot. :)
I will check. :thumbsup:

Are you sure, that you cannot load a Wagon Train on an empty Galleon ? :confused:

Yep sure, made sure I had an empty galleon in port.

When I select an empty wagon in a port with ships I should see 2 loading command icons.
- one icon saying - load this unit (onto a carrier) - which brings up a box with ship choices (or loads it if there is only one suitable ship),
- one icon saying - load goods (onto this unit) - which brings up a box with cargo choices.

Currently I only get the load goods command icon.

I have corrected berth sizes now. :thumbsup:
(It is uploaded to SVN.)

Galleon will now be able to carry 2 Wagon Trains.
Galleon will now be able to carry 1 Trek.
Galleon will now be able to carry 2 Stage Coaches.
Galleon will now be able to carry 1 Carrier.

I think that is fair. :)
(Also it does not allow cheating strategies.)

I have corrected berth sizes now. :thumbsup:
(It is uploaded to SVN.)

Galleon will now be able to carry 2 Wagon Trains.
Galleon will now be able to carry 1 Trek.
Galleon will now be able to carry 2 Stage Coaches.
Galleon will now be able to carry 1 Carrier.

I think that is fair. :)
(Also it does not allow cheating strategies.)

Excellent.

I don't think players will be doing a lot of this, but it is very useful to be able to do it when you need to.

Just to confirm:
- Can they still walk on / walk off at land points like treasure? They could do this in vanilla. Again there isn't a historical problem with this, most trading ships had flattish bottoms to allow them to be beached at low tide and complex goods unloaded.
- Also are the trek and carrier taking all 6 berths, or perhaps they only take 4 or 5, and you can still put something else in the other berth(s)?

Can they still walk on / walk off at land points like treasure?

They should be able to do that.
If not, please tell me. :thumbsup:

Also are the trek and carrier taking all 6 berths, or perhaps they only take 4 or 5, and you can still put something else in the other berth(s)?

They both take 6 berths.

@team:
A new revision is available in SVN.
(Please get that one, especially if you are working on texts.)

1) A huge package of translation into German is done.
(Although translation into German is not completed yet ...)

2) Originally planned graphics for Algonquian leaderhead uploaded.
(Maybe we could use the other one for another Leader of our next 3 planned Native Civs ...)

3) I have repositioned the "Immigrants waiting" in Europe Screen a little.
(Now there should not be an overlap to "Buy Unit"-Button.)

Hm, I love the color of England (and I always play England or Netherlands). I would be very sad, if we change red into white...

Portugal: I would say: Dark Green would be the right color (would fit better with the flag); I will do the change.
England: As it is... ;)
Denmark: A light red maybe would fit (I will agree with every color, as long as I can keep my beloved red for England... ). I will find out the right color

Hm, I love the color of England (and I always play England or Netherlands). I would be very sad, if we change red into white...

Portugal: I would say: Dark Green would be the right color (would fit better with the flag); I will do the change.
England: As it is... ;)
Denmark: A light red maybe would fit (I will agree with every color, as long as I can keep my beloved red for England... ). I will find out the right color

Then why not do it like that ? :think:

Portugal -> (Dark) Green (a color that fits to the flag)
England -> Red (as it is)
Denmark -> White (would also fit, to my opinion)

Basically we would simply switch Portugal and Denmark.
(And eventually adjust the Green of Portugal to be a little darker. :dunno:)

We should really not have 2 times "Red" (even it is "Light Red" and "Dark Red"). :nono:
The European players need to be distinguishable by colour at first sight.

@Schmiddie:

Could you eventually also fix the flag for Denmark if we won't give Denmark player colour "Red" ? :thumbsup:
(If we had "Red" as player colour for Denmark, this would automatically be fixed, because the background of that flag is always player colour.)

If we go to "White" as player colour for Denmark, that flag would be white only. :(

By the way:

The UnitArt-Graphics of UnitArtStyle for Denmark still show Dutch flags. :blush:
(I used the one of Holland as copy-base for Denmark.)

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0011.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0011.JPG
    95.7 KB · Views: 97
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom