Brave New World Scenarios: Disappointing

Scramble For Africa is a fun scenario but the restricted war feels wrong.

Civil War is tedious, set-piece, and boring and if i wanted a CW sim I could buy one crafted specifically for the purpose. Not to mention the international fans are seemingly alienated by Firaxis.

They should have added another scenario to beat G+K's three scenarios, but perhaps they were strained for time after the Pueblo cancellation (not sure how bad that was in terms of a delay).

Perhaps better ideas for an extra scenario:
-Rise of Rome
-Pre-Islamic Indian Kingdoms (we've never had an Indian scenario)
-Warring States of China (my favorite Warlords scenario)
-Traders of the Indian Ocean
-Crusades (but this is kind of ItR, so maybe Civ6)
-Reconquista (same thing)
-Napoleonic Wars
-WWI
-WWII (though IMHO the former is better because it hasn't been done)
-Cold War

What we REALLY need is Rhye's and Fall Civ 5! But the site says that could take a while...

I wouldn't say that. We may not care much about that 'over here' (whereever that may be) but couldn't the same be said about the Korean scenario ?

I don't mind it being about the American Civil War, that's not a negative point for me, most of the scenario however is negative points for me, it was poorly made, showed none of the new features and in general a let down.

In regards to the restricted war, imo the fun nations are not European, European nations make the scenario too easy. Playing Boers(I think they're called?) however has been great fun as you're always at war with 3-4 nations on higher difficulties, with minimal space to expand to.

I would love to see Rise of Rome scenario. It is my favorite one from the Civ3C. Also Napoleonic Europe would be great.

They should put more effort into the scenarios. Creating some really deep and customized ones and different from the base game. With a new deeper Tech tree and a lot of new buildings and units like in C3C.

While I don't have the expansion yet I have seen a a playthrogh of both of the scenarios. I thought scramble for Africa looked really good and the smallness of the map is what gives you the MUST EXPAND feeling that is part of the magic of the scenario. Also anyone complaining about the war restrictions should know that if war was allowed it WOULD become the main part of the scenario. For the Civil War I cant decide if I like it or not because while it is a bit too zoomed in however it also provided special production centers you needed to protect and capture (city's with the unit building buildings like stables).

There was a Civil War scenario for Civ 4, and I remember looking forward to it, and being disappointed, because there was little in the way of economy manangement and it basically was just a giant set-piece battle. And here comes the Civ 5 version, and guess what it is? Nothing but a set-piece battle.

Haven't tried Scramble for Africa yet.

I bought Civ5 Gold Edition, G&K and BNW. None of them were fun for me except Empires of the Smoky Skies. I want a Scenario where I get to control every aspect of my civilization. A Cold War scenario sounds mighty interesting, nukes, World Congress, ideologies, colonies freed from imperialism and trying to develop for themselves. Europian Front teared between Capitalists and the Communists, Asian Front where a lot of countries suffer through dictatorship(Autocracy) and Japan, South Korea and China become economic powerhouses.

I still wish for an Empires of the Smokey Skies updated scenario for CivV.

Oddly, the ACW scenario fits better in Gods and Kings in the theme, and Smokey Skies better for BNW.

People play scenarios in Civ? I had no idea. I don't think I've ever played a scenario and I have, literally, thousands of hours in Civ IV-V.

I bought Civ5 Gold Edition, G&K and BNW. None of them were fun for me except Empires of the Smoky Skies. I want a Scenario where I get to control every aspect of my civilization. A Cold War scenario sounds mighty interesting, nukes, World Congress, ideologies, colonies freed from imperialism and trying to develop for themselves. Europian Front teared between Capitalists and the Communists, Asian Front where a lot of countries suffer through dictatorship(Autocracy) and Japan, South Korea and China become economic powerhouses.
...proxy wars with minor civs or CS in the game.

Perhaps they are saving some interesting scenarios for DLC.

There was a Civil War scenario for Civ 4, and I remember looking forward to it, and being disappointed, because there was little in the way of economy manangement and it basically was just a giant set-piece battle. And here comes the Civ 5 version, and guess what it is? Nothing but a set-piece battle.

Isn't that the way it's intended to be, a pure military scenario? Pure combat won't suit everyone but I find it refreshing every once in a while.

People play scenarios in Civ? I had no idea. I don't think I've ever played a scenario and I have, literally, thousands of hours in Civ IV-V.

This. :lol:

Thats a bit of an overstatement, I think. I feel Civ has reached new heights never before attained, especially in terms of fun factor and replayability. In no way do poor scenarios forecast the end of Civ, considering what has been achieved with the overall game system.

That being said, however, I do think it may be hard for a CIV 6 to top what's going on here. What could they really add? Weather, maybe, which could be interesting for battles, trade, etc. A return of government systems? More trade/diplomacy options?

New hights of broken AI, I am assuming you don't play on Immortal or Deity.

I love scenarios in general. Because they are so short, they remain interesting 'till the end most of the time.

Really good scenarios should do all the following:

- Provide a variety of experiences, angles and story archs from a variety of playable civs. (Replay factor & balance)
- Introduce new mechanics, units, techs etc which aren't found in the main game (Take the game engine to new levels)
- Be interesting and challenging right through to the end, not become next turn clicking snooze fests (Well paced)
- Shine a light on and immerse a player in a time period and setting that is somewhat unusual and under-represented. (Edutainment value)

There are some periods and settings which always defy this last measure because they are so popular with players: Rome, WW1 & WW2, Cold War (but these have already been done to death through the various iterations of Civ.)

Good scenarios - released by Firaxis, not player made ones which almost always outstrip Firaxis offerings - include:

Civ 3: Sengoku, Napoleonic Europe, Meso-American, Fall of Rome
Civ 4: So many given the fan made inclusions but Rhyse is the stand out of course
Civ 5: Viking Britain, Fertile Crescent Wonders, Into the Renaissance, Scramble for Africa

Anything which doesn't meet the criteria above isn't ready for or worth releasing.

Too bad they don't update old scenarios.

Most scenarios do suck. (wonders of the ancient world was a bit of fun...at least so you wanted to finish it anyway) Often because you are tied by a time limit or bad balancing. I think you get too little room for a what-if-the-south-had-started-and-carried-out-the-war-differently in that particular scenario for example. Its too controlled and framed for my taste. Not to mention the historical inaccuracies in that civil war scenario with giving some cities way too much importance. The africa scenario was just boring and uninspiring. But i dont care because i see the scenarios as a small sideshow that you can play when you are extremely bored.

It is a more honest approach to create a scenario where the devs are thinking "ok we cannot make it totally correct because that would be boring and more of a flawed history lesson than a challenging game". With warmth in my heart i remember how i played with italys victor emmanuel and snatched france from germany in civ4:) Now THATS a scenario!

Most scenarios would be a lot more fun without the time limit, which is the worst victory condition in the normal game anyway.

Sounds like Twilight Struggle! A great board game, card driven, I could really see this translating over to CIV.

And speaking of card driven board games, not sure how many of you are aware of this, but Ed Beach, who worked on GnK and BNW, also did some of these games, notably, The Virgin Queen and Here I Stand....these are great games, albeit ones that take very long (8+ hours), but if you've played Into The Renaissance you will see the immense similarities.

Most scenarios would be a lot more fun without the time limit, which is the worst victory condition in the normal game anyway.

This.

Typical Civ scenario: Here's two Settlers, a Worker and a couple of Warriors. Conquer the entire known world in 20 turns. GO!

Most scenarios do suck. (wonders of the ancient world was a bit of fun...at least so you wanted to finish it anyway) Often because you are tied by a time limit or bad balancing. I think you get too little room for a what-if-the-south-had-started-and-carried-out-the-war-differently in that particular scenario for example. Its too controlled and framed for my taste. Not to mention the historical inaccuracies in that civil war scenario with giving some cities way too much importance. The africa scenario was just boring and uninspiring. But i dont care because i see the scenarios as a small sideshow that you can play when you are extremely bored.

It is a more honest approach to create a scenario where the devs are thinking "ok we cannot make it totally correct because that would be boring and more of a flawed history lesson than a challenging game". With warmth in my heart i remember how i played with italys victor emmanuel and snatched france from germany in civ4:) Now THATS a scenario!

The time limits are always generous enough IMO.

Top Bottom