More uses for artifacts

Melendor

Warlord
1. Build a Landmark inside a City State territory should increase your influence over it.

2. Sell to the private market (get gold). It would be very good when there isn’t space for artifacts in your museums and the dig is outside your border.

I remember when I got a Landmark built in Quebec City and later they declared war on me, allied to my hostile neighbor. I live in Quebec Province by the way.

There really needs to be a way to sell them, no archaeologist thinks "oh well there aren't any more museums left that want artifacts, I guess I'll stop trying to find these priceless culturally significant pieces of history."

Selling to the private market is a great idea, or maybe we could add more to the great work swap page to allow bidding with gold for artifacts. THAT would be fun.

I'd like the sell for gold idea. I like to clear all the Antiquity Sites off the map so the other civs can't utilize them for artifacts or for landmarks. Then I run out of museum space. It would be nice to simply sell them for gold and fully deprive my rivals of most of them.

Should be able to sell your artifacts, and landmarks over city states for influence wouldn't be a bad idea.

If it was changed that way, it would just strengthen the strongest or runaway civs. The first one to archaeology would have a massive advantage over everyone else. It's more balanced in its current state IMO. Technology should provide an advantage but not too big...it's a fine balancing act.

It would be nice if you had the option to give (or sell) to the originating civ for a diplomatic boost.

We are walking on thin ice here. Keep in mind that cultural victory is already quite easy and all the new mechanics proposed here will only make it easier. The whole system needs to be somehow redone to allow some kind of trading, however something must be added or rebalanced to nerf this victory path.

I'd suggest trading system with some new penalties introduced to management of artifacts. For example, there could be a significant happiness penalty for having your heritage hauled away to other civilizations or there could be some influence bonuses from civilizations from which you one "borrowed" artifacts (if I have a portuguese artifact, their cultural influence is boosted by 10% + portuguese/non portuguese artifacts in my collection).

We are walking on thin ice here. Keep in mind that cultural victory is already quite easy and all the new mechanics proposed here will only make it easier. The whole system needs to be somehow redone to allow some kind of trading, however something must be added or rebalanced to nerf this victory path.

I'd suggest trading system with some new penalties introduced to management of artifacts. For example, there could be a significant happiness penalty for having your heritage hauled away to other civilizations or there could be some influence bonuses from civilizations from which you one "borrowed" artifacts (if I have a portuguese artifact, their cultural influence is boosted by 10% + portuguese/non portuguese artifacts in my collection).

I think you should one trade with "friends".

Yea trading artifacts may work. Perhaps montize it so that it's not a 1-1 swap but AI will attach prices to artifacts, some more than others.

And human players can do the same. It would make it easy to get some theming bonuses going at a price if a human player happen to collect a bunch of lame artifacts and is looking to get a higher theming bonus.

Also "They Belong in a Museum", so selling for gold only is against the spirit of the archaeology tech :indy:

I like the idea of being able to sell Artifacts to other civs if you don't have the room to hold them in a building. It would also make sense to just store them somewhere and not get a bonus for them if you don't have room... not like that sort of thing doesn't happen in real life. It just doesn't make sense to be forced to create a landmark because you cannot display an artifact.

It's that whole "balance" thing. By "forcing" you to choose the artifact or monument, this compels you to work for those artifacts (you MUST build/buy enough buildings to hold them) rather than willy-nilly snatching them up and worry about the consequences later. It also "balances" in that, if you don't have the slot (but chose to greedily snatch the antiquities up, like I do), you are potentially "giving" a landmark to a rival nation.

^ I sometimes end up building landmarks in the middle of nowhere only to make sure that nobody else will claim it.
The slot requirement is indeed an important factor and especially efforts of tall empires can be thwarted by it. In one of my games I had to conquer two cities to facilitate my artifacts ;)

On the "we should be allowed to sell them" subject, I had a similar idea but on the other side of that.

There should be a black market.

It would be cool if everything all Civs sold for gold went into a pool of artifacts, which would randomly "surface" for the civs to bid on.

Yea trading artifacts may work. Perhaps montize it so that it's not a 1-1 swap but AI will attach prices to artifacts, some more than others.

When art/artifact trading was announced, I was hoping it would be done in the diplomacy screen. That could have also meant
- selling art for money/resources/whatever
- trading art beyond "one-for-one"
- demanding art as tribute or peace settlement

But nope...

Top Bottom