If I've *never* played this game, should I start with vanilla?

Although I still haven't figured out if railroads made it into the final release or not (I'm still in 1600s in my first RAR marathon speed game).
They got renamed to some massive wagon train unit as using steam in the 17th century didn't make much sense. The concept of having a great unit, which requires special roads is still there though. It's just a graphical change.

Nightinggale, I'll definitely give RARE a go after this game btw. I was just hoping to see a final version come out before.
I'm not sure there is ever a final. There is no active development right now, but it picks up if/when bugs are found or somebody wants to make something new and interesting.

I'm a veteran player, probably older than most of you here :) and since I have become a father,
I'm not sure about that statement. The forum users tend to be older than the reputation, especially the modders. I for one remember when civ 1 came out. I also remember how awesome it was to get a 40 MB HD, which meant I didn't have to switch floppies while playing.

I have taken a completely different approach to PC games. Instead of rushing on every new version of my favorite game franchises as soon as they hit the shelves, I now tend to wait a couple of years before buying them so that:
a) I can get all the extensions in one buy (and typically at a good price too)
b) I get the final official patches from the beginning
I completely agree with that one. I bought Neverwinter Nights 1+expansions when the second came out and shipping was half the price. Even better, the last patch included an official no-cd patch. When I bought NWN2 SoZ (the newest expansion) it had problems with long loading times (part of the reason why it gained low review scores). With the computer I have now, it loads nearly instantly. It wasn't on release due to the frequent load screens. Interestingly it seems to me throttled by CPU data decompression rate or memory cache I/O speed rather than HD speed.

d) I also have immediate access to final versions of the best mods out there
On the other hand, I regret I didn't join the modding community until 2013. Imagine what it would have been like if I was one of the first to mod the civ4 dll. However I was still a student back then and wasn't as skilled as I am now.

e) incidentally, I can also get by with hardware that is slightly outdated by latest standards.
True, but also the games tend not to lag or wait at newturn. NWN2 SoZ is a good example of games being released before the players have the needed hardware.

Yeah, I was there for Civ1 as well. My earliest significant PC game memory is Wizardry I (Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord) and Ultima 3 (Exodus). I used to play these on first generation Mac (without HD...). :)

Top Bottom