The future of Fall from Heaven

That's amazing news, Kael. Congratulations are due to you and the entire team. I wish you all the best of luck!

I have seriously mixed feelings about this, to say the least. FfH2 owes an absolutely massive amount to the Civ 4 game engine (>90% of the code is still Firaxis') and trying to beat Firaxis at their own game seems like it would be a serious uphill struggle. Civ 5 surely has a much, much bigger budget and a much, much more experienced team behind it.

The only ways I can see this being a good decision are if (a) Firaxis is helping to develop it, or (b) it's going to dump the 4X genre completely, as someone else suggested, to become an RPG or something, and avoid direct comparisons to FfH2 and any fantasy mods that get developed for Civ 5. Otherwise, it seems to be an insane act of hubris from my point of view. YMMV.

After hearing someone say there would be no Fall from Heaven for Civ 5, I was thinking that I would be totally willing to pay for it, and now it appears I may get to do just that.
THANK YOU!!

Well, I think if there is a Genre change, it's more likey to be RTS then RPG, but who knows.

^
l
I think a ffh RTS would be amazing!

Inspiring! Many of us modders look to Fall from Heaven for inspiration. Myself included and I'm one of the more obvious ones. With these news you indeed inspire us modders even further, since it shows just how far modding can take you.

Modding is no longer a small hobby, but big business that can take you far. I now have concrete evidence of how important the artform modding is, I can now tell my IRL mates off and show concrete proof of modding greatness and importance, when they start bugging me about how I waste my time modding. Yeah.

You brought us a good mod, now bring us a good game too! My best wishes for the game Fall from Heaven. I'll be playing, and I'll be inspired.

Oh wow. I go away for a day, and come back to this? Good luck, I shall be watching to see what sort of magnificent schemes you hatch.

More information is required of you, Kael. You can't just do something like this and not give us any juicy details! I want dragons that fly and bomb cities like aircraft!

:deal:

Very well, onward with the Wild Speculation: the new Fall from Heaven will be a first-person adventure RPG covering a massive landmass while combining the traditional play-style of The Elder Scrolls series with the puzzle-solving genius and wit of the Monkey Island saga.

Kael hasn't even said that it is going to be a computer game. Perhaps the book he's been writing is going to be a book you play, similar to the Adventure Gamebooks or Fighting Fantasy book series... :rolleyes:

Since I'm assuming the art and music will all be new, I shall miss my pirates who listen to the Decemberists.

Top Bottom