Do You Want XCOM Squad in game?

Should XCOM Squad be included?

• Yes, yes it should

Votes: 319 59.6%
  • No, no it shouldn't.

Votes: 216 40.4%

• Total voters
Just because something sounds cool does not mean it should be added into civ. There should be a reason for it to be there.

A lot of people will find it fun. In a game, that's reason enough for something to be put in. You might not find it fun, just like someone else might not think something is fun that you do. Different strokes.

No one is working on an international group of super-soldiers to fight back an alien invasion....to my knowledge.
In order for your assertion to be true, you had to add the caveat "to fight back an alien invasion." That is to say, in every practical and conceivable way, the world is working on XCOM units...they'd probably just more accurately be called Ultramarines or something. Oh wait, that's a franchise too...uhhh, Mobile Infantry? Wait that's taken too...

Why don't we just use "XCOM" since this company already owns that name, and you can pretend that the "X" stands for ξένος, which means "stranger" or "foreigner," from which we get out words "xenophobia" or "xenocentric" or "xenoparasite" or "xenophilia." You know, instead of "xeno" meaning "space alien."

While I'm not against the idea of futuristic units, I do wish it was renamed something a bit different, more generic at least. "XCOM Squad" sort of ruins the immersion for me. Maybe not for others, I understand, but for me it does somehow.

We get that the name kind of makes it silly, but it's the same thing with giant death robot versus mecha. They choose something that makes you know they intend for it to be lighthearted.

We get that the name kind of makes it silly, but it's the same thing with giant death robot versus mecha. They choose something that makes you know they intend for it to be lighthearted.

It's not so much that the name is silly (though it is), but more so that it's from another game franchise. I know that it's just a harmless easter egg of sorts, and that it won't really do much in practical terms at the end of the day, and most people won't care, but for me, it ruins immersion. Particularly (though not only) because I don't really know the XCOM franchise nor do I care about it.

But hey, it's not going to affect whether I buy BNW or not, so it's no big deal.

Soon enough, there would be a new Japanese unique Giant Death Robot called Mecha Godzilla, which would no longer seem to be farfetched.

The United States would have a unique "Squad" based on [insert sci-fi FPS here (albeit slightly genericized)].

In all, the "Squad" should be in an optional mod (or as art assets for modders), not in the official game.

Considering we already have the Giant Death Robot, might as well have something infantry based to go along with it. :scan:

For the second time this thread: this line of argument is incredibly weak. Just because Civ makes some (significant) abstractions does not mean it does not have to have any connection with reality. If Japan's UU was a "mechwarrior" or if Britain (or China) had a dragon as their UU I think people would be justifiably upset.

The XCOM unit is pure fantasy, not even in the slightest tied to the world as it exists (unlike Civ 2's "Cure for Cancer", which is something people all over the world are actively working on!).

IT IS NOT PURE FANTASY. The X-Com game scenario is pure fantasy but the unit style definitely isn't. As I've said the Body Armor is already in play, the normal start weapons for X-Com are very much in play, paradropping is in play. Energy weapons fall in the same category as curing cancer - techs are beavering away trying to crack those but have so far failed. They do have armor piercing rounds capable of cutting through tank armor, sniper rifles that can hit from incredible distances, medkits and back in 1993 barely trained Somalians used RPG's to shoot down 2 Blackhawks in the battle of Mogadishu.

I'm fine with people disliking the idea of extrapolated future tech but if you seriously think X-Com style soldiers are fantasy then you haven't been paying much attention to the real world. Most of the starting tech in X-Com has been around for 20 plus years.

I'd be all for them putting in a Special forces unit in between the X-Com unit and what it's being upgraded from now.

In order for your assertion to be true, you had to add the caveat "to fight back an alien invasion." That is to say, in every practical and conceivable way, the world is working on XCOM units...

Are you honestly suggesting that people are 'working on' an international group of super-soldiers? Really? Is that honestly your argument?

Are you honestly suggesting that people are 'working on' an international group of super-soldiers? Really? Is that honestly your argument?

Well we are not being invaded by space aliens now are we?

I think his second point has better grounding, in that its just an acronym that can mean anything (unlike the GDR)

Also I would literally eat a hat and some worms ( and post pics in OT) if XCOM units end up at Future Tech... and you still have to construct a project to build them

What's international about the XCOM units in the game? The ones I saw clearly worked for Poland and were fighting against Assyria. I find "Poland fighting against Assyria" to be more fantastical than anything in the XCOM units.

What's international about the XCOM units in the game? The ones I saw clearly worked for Poland and were fighting against Assyria. I find "Poland fighting against Assyria" to be more fantastical than anything in the XCOM units.

XCOM is a fictional international organization. The fact that nations can build XCOM units is not only unrealistic (because no such style of unit exists), but it does not even adhere to internal consistency. If anything your argument is another one against the inclusion of XCOM, rather than an argument for inclusion.

I think his second point has better grounding, in that its just an acronym that can mean anything (unlike the GDR)

Also I would literally eat a hat and some worms ( and post pics in OT) if XCOM units end up at Future Tech... and you still have to construct a project to build them

I agree with you that, personally, I still think it is an elaborate joke (even if that is just wishful thinking on my part). That said, XCOM is not "just an acronym that can mean anything". XCOM cannot refer to anything but the international group of alien-fighting super soldiers....especially when the unit looks like XCOM soldiers.

I can't tell if the people out and out defending the inclusion of XCOM in Civ are being purposefully obtuse or simply have no taste. Civ 5 jumped the shark in many different ways not worth repeating here. I'm not sure the franchise will ever 'come back'....

Soon enough, there would be a new Japanese unique Giant Death Robot called Mecha Godzilla, which would no longer seem to be farfetched.

The United States would have a unique "Squad" based on [insert sci-fi FPS here (albeit slightly genericized)].

In all, the "Squad" should be in an optional mod (or as art assets for modders), not in the official game.

They tried to sell us the idea that Mecha Godzilla would be added last April Fool's Day. Remember that?

I agree XCOM squad should not be in the base game. It is a waste of time they could have used for a more viable unit.

I can't tell if the people out and out defending the inclusion of XCOM in Civ are being purposefully obtuse or simply have no taste. Civ 5 jumped the shark in many different ways not worth repeating here. I'm not sure the franchise will ever 'come back'....

So people who have different preferences "simply have no taste"? I didn't realize a subjective value like "taste" is actually quantifiable and objective... :p

In the end, people simply have different perspectives on what the Civ game should be like. Personally, I find the idea that it should be solely a historical simulation game a rather limited and boring one, and I don't see any harm in Firaxis choosing to add more whimsical elements to the game, particularly ones that call back to some of Microprose's other early (yet notable) franchises. I have to admit, those who are getting offended by such whimsy seem to be taking their choice of entertainment media a little too seriously...

In the end, it's ultimately their game to create and market as they choose. If you don't like it, well, the free market means you're free to sit down and create your own historical simulation game to market in the niche they're not exploiting. Heck, if you really want to make it a Civilization franchise game, save up and buy the rights to it...

I agree with you that, personally, I still think it is an elaborate joke (even if that is just wishful thinking on my part). That said, XCOM is not "just an acronym that can mean anything". XCOM cannot refer to anything but the international group of alien-fighting super soldiers....especially when the unit looks like XCOM soldiers.

So you do agree that XCOM units should be in the game then? :p

I was just saying that they'll probably be included in some endgame obscure tech that needs a filler. Like that future tech. The way Ed Beach puts it though sounds like it'll be slotted in nuclear fusion or somewhere close. That's why I wager to eat a hat eh ;)

XCOM is a fictional international organization. The fact that nations can build XCOM units is not only unrealistic (because no such style of unit exists), but it does not even adhere to internal consistency. If anything your argument is another one against the inclusion of XCOM, rather than an argument for inclusion.

They tried to sell us the idea that Mecha Godzilla would be added last April Fool's Day. Remember that?

I agree XCOM squad should not be in the base game. It is a waste of time they could have used for a more viable unit.
Exactly! That squad is nothing but a sellout and an early April Fool's joke that goes well against canon. If it quacks like a duck, looks like a duck, swims like a duck, flies like a duck, and is called a duck in English, then it must be a duck. I really hope it gets modded out or modded to be genericized (note that I will get the Apple App Store version of the expansion, as I have a MacBook Pro with Retina Display). To those defending the "Squad", they are 100% fantasy, as I have not seen any official (serious) document from any government or reputable international organization regarding any plans to form an international group of super-soldiers fighting any malevolent extraterrestrial threat, especially given that we have not discovered any malevolent extraterrestrials more advanced than the humble unicellular organism that can pose any threat to human civilization. Another thing, I do not want references from another game, especially one that is M-rated, to be in the base game (if I want references to other games (or other media), that is what mods are for, and they are completely optional (and I do not have the obligation to have all of the mods, as some are mutually exclusive), unlike the "Squad", which has to be modded out or modded to be genericized).

Top Bottom