MilarNES: Birth of A Civilization

What is normal about Babylonia, Nippon, Gaulic, Hellenium, Rome, Pictland, Milan, Britannian, Sarawak, Darwinia Ultima and Inca? All either historical or psuedo-historical names popping up in a 'fresh start' where the canvas should be blank by definition? Or should we take to grading 'fresh starts' on their relative freshness, a 'stale start', a 'recycled start', 'something akin to fresh but not really start?'

It's certainly more normal than Super Nintendo Land. One thing is to use a normal name, the other is to take one out of a videogame system and use it as if it were a normal name.

'King Bowser' also must have a degree of normality given that there's a town called Bowser in British Columbia and six people in Wikipedia sharing the last-name Bowser. Admittedly my last name has closer to 30 but that's small fry compared to some other names I just went and looked up... so maybe by definition my name isn't normal? I should also say my last name is probably ‘silly’ given that I share it with a well known day.

It’s also instructive to note that Bowser is just the English name of King Koopa who in Japan is apparently known as Daimaō Kuppa which means ‘great demon king Koopa’ where Koopa is apparently some sort of Korean dish. Bowser would therefore seem to be just a poor transliteration or translation or whatever of a cooler Japanese original.
Didn't know that Bowser was an actual surname and the name of a town.

Just thought I'd pull up this... Kingdom of Rome of the totally made up culture!

The Kingdom of Rome actually existed, try to look for Numa Pompilius in the wiki. If you had to point out a "totally made up culture", I would have chosen Darwinia Ultima.

It also doesn't help that the mod broke the whole 'normalcy' thing by I don't know by bringing in an Italian Mario and the creator of King Koopa and Mario into the mix straight after?

My suggestion was certainly more normal than the "reason" Amon stated for his wish to have Emperor Bowser with his koopas and Mega Man as a general. Sorry if having some videogame bugs as troops is more realistic than having an emperor called Miyamoto.

I think all this arguing and stuff is detremental to the NES.

I hope you also become less insluting and agressive!

Even that last sentance is offencive. I wouldn't join if I were Masada.

I sent ammended orders Milarqui to take advantage of the 100 year turn length and to include a picture (its a dog my daughter drew- see the four legs?).

Also: the stats don't include 'growth' but the techs and wonders do. Is that like territory growth or EP development through population growth- what is growth?

Also: if i want to invent a postal service to help horizontal growth how do i do that? If i want to invent a caravanserai network how do i do that?

thanks.

What is normal about Babylonia, Nippon, Gaulic, Hellenium, Rome, Pictland, Milan, Britannian, Sarawak, Darwinia Ultima and Inca? All either historical or psuedo-historical names popping up in a 'fresh start' where the canvas should be blank by definition? Or should we take to grading 'fresh starts' on their relative freshness, a 'stale start', a 'recycled start', 'something akin to fresh but not really start?'

'King Bowser' also must have a degree of normality given that there's a town called Bowser in British Columbia and six people in Wikipedia sharing the last-name Bowser. Admittedly my last name has closer to 30 but that's small fry compared to some other names I just went and looked up... so maybe by definition my name isn't normal? I should also say my last name is probably ‘silly’ given that I share it with a well known day.

It’s also instructive to note that Bowser is just the English name of King Koopa who in Japan is apparently known as Daimaō Kuppa which means ‘great demon king Koopa’ where Koopa is apparently some sort of Korean dish. Bowser would therefore seem to be just a poor transliteration or translation or whatever of a cooler Japanese original.

Just thought I'd pull up this... Kingdom of Rome of the totally made up culture!

It also doesn't help that the mod broke the whole 'normalcy' thing by I don't know by bringing in an Italian Mario and the creator of King Koopa and Mario into the mix straight after?
The fact that I didn't start a culture of my own here is because the MOD asked me to start as an existing NPC and not something new...

I think my many special cultures I made up in other NESes hold well. Including the Trade Empire Portugal - and the current evolving Roman Monarchy (may I remind you, Rome was a Republic...). Both are not as the normal cultures.

As for historicity - against. It doesn't have to be the real Babylon, Rome...This are made up ones - with the same name for ease of use.

Having Rome rise a thousand years before its time is normal. Every a dinosaur king called Bowser rule anything on Earth is not.

I personally like an aggressive MOD. Jason used to be aggressive in his best NESes... and I wouldn't be surprised if he's back at it with his latest ones... The MOD makes a NES. Players don't do anyone a favor playing in the NES.

Milarqui said:
It's certainly more normal than Super Nintendo Land. One thing is to use a normal name, the other is to take one out of a videogame system and use it as if it were a normal name.

And Darwinia Ultima isn’t like totally stolen from this? And the Britannian Republic with a capital at Pendragon isn’t taken from this? I certainly call into question the quality testing and consistency of the policy.

Milarqui said:
The Kingdom of Rome actually existed, try to look for Numa Pompilius in the wiki. If you had to point out a "totally made up culture", I would have chosen Darwinia Ultima.

Or Lucius Tarquinius Superbus who was also known as the 'proud' if that has any bearing on the present situation. Nevertheless my little point was purely sarcastic. The important part to note, is that that Erez said ‘make’ and ‘made up’ as a rebuke to Amon whilst ripping off an existing culture.

Milarqui said:
My suggestion was certainly more normal than the "reason" Amon stated for his wish to have Emperor Bowser with his koopas and Mega Man as a general. Sorry if having some videogame bugs as troops is more realistic than having an emperor called Miyamoto.

We’ve established that Bowser and Koopa are Latinised Japanese with a mix of Korean. I’m sure you could wrangle the whole Megaman thing given your previous successes… in suggesting a certain video game plumber and this guy as valid substitutes.

Are you not yourself guilty of taking ‘one’ out of a videogame system and using it as if it were a normal name? Granted Mario is a normal name, but then I didn't see past the whole you know, video game-Italian-plumper-rescuing a princess thing which is totally more realistic than a Japanese/Korean name?

erez87 said:
because the MOD asked me to start as an existing NPC and not something new...

Apologies. But it now puts the ball now in Milaqui's court. Refer all further points to Milaqui.

erez87 said:
Rome was a Republic

Suggest you look at these gents, Romulus, Numa Pompilius, Tullus Hostilius, Ancus Marcius, Servius Tullius, Lucius Tarquinius Priscus and Lucius Tarquinius Superbus they say otherwise. As does that whole business with the Principate and Empire.

erez87 said:
Having Rome rise a thousand years before its time is normal. Every a dinosaur king called Bowser rule anything on Earth is not.

Degrees of absurdity. But seriously what's to stop Mario the Italian videogame plumber running the show?

erez87 said:
I personally like an aggressive MOD. Jason used to be aggressive in his best NESes... and I wouldn't be surprised if he's back at it with his latest ones... The MOD makes a NES. Players don't do anyone a favor playing in the NES.

Can't comment haven't seen anything terribly aggressive yet nor am I questioning Milarqui's modding skills or lack thereof.

Abaddon said:
I hope you also become less insluting and agressive!

Even that last sentance is offencive. I wouldn't join if I were Masada.

If wishes were fishes.

I also have no intention of now joining.

Babylon Naval UU:
Dhow The dhow is the primary trading and military vessel of bronze-age babylon. it has a characteristic triangular or lateen sail arrangement.
They are smaller then the european galleys of the same age but their flexible hull construction and differential sail design means that they are able to travel on waters considered impossible for galleys (travel further into open water then standard galley). In addiiton, their lighter construction means that they are more maneuverable then standard galleys and able to sail up small rivers and streams unavailable to their larger cousins.
Unfortunatly, dhows are more expensive then their smaller cousins because one unit of dhows consists of more individual boats then a unit of galleys (to equal the same hullage and transport capacity)
suggested cost: 2 EP for one unit. (requires sailing)

OK, gentlemen, please, let's drop the discussion or else someone whom I will not name will fall upon us. :D

Both sides of the discussion have their opinion, and both sides are right in parts of their arguements. I myself accept that I have said several things that weren't very fortunate and/or might have been taken on the bad side.

Let's just drop this matter behind us and keep with the playing, OK?

P.S: I already knew what the Holy Empire of Britannia was, but didn't about Darwinia Ultima.

EDIT: Any possible screw-ups on my part may come from the fact that I am trying to update my Empire: Total War game through Steam and the stupid WiFi router is always stopping working whenever I am in the middle of downloading it.

EDIT 2: I didn't receive your ammended orders, Immaculate. Better try to send them again. (That's why I ask you to say here that you are sending orders) And good idea with your Navy UU.

Since the update should be coming soon, I will wait until afterwards to send orders. Also, I plan on continuing the motif that Amon set up for Nippon, although, I might make some changes.

FOR AMOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooOOOOOOOON!!!!!

Daespe froze, staring straight ahead. Something was staring back. It had thin, wiry, rusty hair from head to foot. It's bare skin looked like a very loose latex costume that somemone was half heartedly wearing. Of course, this wasn't what Daespe was thinking. He knew exactly what it was.

It was a metaelyiv láoir, a banished soul. They were murderers who were not allowed to break the veil as they had not atoned for their crimes yet. So they became this withered, hairy beings. What had this one done? Murdered her husband? Poisoned a noble? She could be that crazy lady that his grandfather kept telling him about, who killed an entire village on the other side of the island?

Did I tell you they were up a tree? They were up a tree. Why? Well, Daespe was up there because it was time to harvest the String Fruit that was to made into rope and mark those that were to be harvested at a later date to be used for food.

Why was the láoir up the tree? Hungry I guess.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"My Priest, what are the stars?"

"It is very simple, my Son. We live on a world that is surrounded by the shell of the sky. Now, during the day time, while Káv Idvisás is awake, we see part of his greatness as the big firey ball of the Sun to light up the world. But when he sleeps, that greatness guards him, protecting him from all his enemies. And so we have the night.

And at night, we can see the inside of the shell, which you know as the Veil, which looks black, but is really white."

"Why?"

"...Káv Idvisás moves in mysterious ways. Now, stars are holes in that shell."

"Holes in the Veil?"

"Yes, how else do you think the dead get through to the Great Beyond, to join former Káv Idvisás in the Eternal City? Anyway the holes are big enough for souls to get through, but not for Nyi Vistaer and his many brothers to get through."

"Thank you my Priest. Before I go, have you ever met the Káv Idvisás?"

"Yes, once on my last day at the Priestage in Sibu. I didn't see him, he was behind a his lyiin, but I could feel his radience."

I have a couple of questions regarding weaponry in the Modern Age and forward and would like you to answer them, to see what you want.

- For the Tanks and such, I had thought about this:
Light Tanks -> Mechanized Infantry
Medium Tanks -> ??
Heavy Tanks -> ??
What do you think?
- To make sure that people won't start to buy nukes like mad, I had though of giving them a cost of 25-30 EC each, as well as forcing people to make a project called Silo, which would make you pay a cost of 10 EC or something like that to buy the following upgrades (i.e: increasing the number of warheads you can store).

Any opinions on the thread and on PM will be very valued.

Also, some Tech that comes from Motorized Transportation and Plastics?

EDIT: Crezth, I am going to need a couple of more details for your nation, namely government and religion.

It just seems wrong for a mod to take out the name "Super Nintendo Land" from a country, and leave in names like "Brittania" in North America, and "Tribes of Milan" in europe (Even if it's geographic location is in Lombardia). Those are just 2 off the top of my head, I'm sure there are others, as Masada pointed out.

And I still don't see any real reason why Super Nintendo Land would be "stupid" when the above is mentioned and at the same time the reason for the renaming of the land is even MORE absurd than the reason for the civilization starting it's name out as Super Nintendo Land. If the name is changed because it's a stupid name, why have a stupid reason for changing it?

In news from the Far East, the empire known before as SNES Land has officially changed its name to the more normal and easier pronounced Dai Nippon Teikoku, the Empire of Greater Japan, and the name of its capital has been changed to Edo, for the pleasure of World Watchers everywhere and the future sigh of thankfulness of the yet unknown other civilizations.

Empire of Greater Japan!? Where'd the people of Super Nintendo Land come up with this crap? For the pleasure of "World Watchers everywhere and the future sigh of thankfulness of yet unknown other civilizations"!?!? A:The people of a country aren't going to change their name for the pleasure of any other country, and B:Sigh of thankfulness to who!? The mod!

Your mistake was allowing the country to be named Super Nintendo Land in the first place. To change the country's name on some ludicrous nonsence like this is "plain stupid", to borrow a phrase from yourself.

Once again, other than the complaints of a couple of players who are so obsessed with playing generic OTL civilizations that shouldn't be around, what harm did Super Nintendo Land's name have on the NES?

And to anyone who says "Good god, it's just the name of a country". I agree with you whole heartedly, but why should some players have the option to name their country something completely outlandish, like Brittania in North America, and others not be allowed to keep their name, like Super Nintendo Land in east asia?

This is my last rant on the subject. I appreciate you setting the record straight on your "stupid" comment in regards to my actions. As I said, I'd have joined either way, and I would have couped the country back to Super Nintendo Land, because the reasons for the change in name were so dumb it's not even comprehendable.

You said that you weren't going to come back, so I just took a decision as the ruler of the country that a change of name was required. I know that the Holy Empire of Britannia is a blatant reference to Code Geass, but had I not found that page in wikipedia by chance I would have thought it to be quite normal (even though it would normally be in England...). However, Darth Nader has already taken it, so, unless you manage to negotiate with him, take one of the NPCs or invent other nation (please, don't do this)...

Super Nintendo Land vs. Brittania? I think Brittania sounds much more normal.

Thought Kingdom of Nintendo may be ok - as a new culture. Just it most likely won't be led by a dinosaur... But Super Nintendo?

It doesn't matter, Erez, Brittania in North America is just as stupid as Super Nintendo Land. It doesn't fit the geography of where Britannia was in OTL. It's just like me making a country called "Germany" in central africa.... Or a country called "Super Nintendo Land" in east asia. Oh, and let's not forget tribes of "Milan"... Which was a city constructed by Rome OTL, why would they have the name Milan?! Isn't that just plain stupid?

Doesn't matter what "Sounds normal". It's all ludicrous in the end.

Idyll / NPC
Government: Oligarchy
Capital: Sterzh
Colour: Very Dark Blue
EC: 11/0 (0 of 17)
Army: 1 Multi-Time Slinger (4)
Navy: 2 Oar-Ship (4)
Air:
Spies:
Culture: 0
Religion: Militarism (19%)
Researching:
Completed Research: Agriculture, Fire, Fishing, Wheel
Projects:
Wonders:
Land UU: Multi-Time Slingers: these slingers have trained to be able to shoot several stones one after the other, thus making them harder to reach and more deadly enemies. Cost: 1 EC.
Navy UU:
Air Force UU:

I'm guessing this is that Russia-like country.. So here. I join as these guys. I can have fun with their militarist religion, and kill stuff.

Top Bottom