Can I use the BUG mod? YES!

I got XML errors on trying to load it up, and then it crashed b4 getting to the splashscreens. I'll figure out next weekend. Time for bed (Iwork nights) Thanks anyway.

I've got BAT 2.1 running on Mac. Here is an archive of all the fixed xml files you'll need. You'll need to copy them all to /Bat Mod 2.1/Assets/XML/Text.

Obviously BULL will not work on a Mac but BAT is coded to run fine without it present.

I got BAT 2.1 running fine, aside from a pink Academy building (see this post).

Question: where do I (or indeed can I) turn off the rather cheesey 'blood spatter' graphic effect I get during combat? I can't find this in the BtS or BAT prefs windows.

I suggest it would make more sense to raise BAT usage questions in the BUG/BAT/BULL development forum. I don't know whether the pink building is Mac-specific, but you could find out over there. And for sure there are more people over there who use the mods and know how to control them.

FINALLY. progress. With BUG4.2 anyway. (BlueMarble was easy compared)

1. Drop the unzipped Mod folder into the Applications/Civ 4/BTS/MODS
2. Open another unzipped Mod onto the desktop (same Mod as 1).
3. Selectively and carefully place files and folders from Mod's Assets folder into the appropriate subsections of the Custom Assets folder in Documents/Civ 4/BTS/Custom Assets; DO NOT overwrite any existing file or folder, just add to it. Overwriting the whole folders therein causes BTS to crash. BTS does not appear in Documents/Civ 4, until you load it at least once before hand.

4. Move the Privatemaps files (not the folder) into the public maps of Documents Civ 4/BTS

5. Create SoAndSoMOD folder, place Info and UserSettings folders into that.

6. Seems to work.

7. But I am very tired nao. ZZZzzz....

did I get it right?

I got the BUG all installed and it seems to work great but I have 2 concerns.

1. It makes my game run much slower than normal. Lower frame-rate etc... Is this a known side effect? Anything I can do?

2. How do I access the dot-map layer?

I am running on "old" hardware, a 2006 Mac Mini. It runs CIV slow but okay. Once I installed BUG, the launch of CIV and the choosing and starting of a game became much slower. However, I have not noticed that game play became noticeably slower, perhaps because it was already so slow.

I have seen some reports of slow game startup with BUG but don't notice a difference on my hardware. I have a high-endish dual core machine and video card, though, but only 2GB RAM. Is there any particular part you find noticeably slower? Map generation? Startup?

i just recently switched from PC to Mac and I'm trying to get the BUG mod up and running, at this point i just can't play without it anymore.

I've downloaded the latest version 4.4 and I've unzipped the folder and put it in my
applications/civilization IV/ Beyond the sword/ Mods folder.

running normal BtS works just fine, but when i load BUG and start up a new game it starts of by showing me an empty tech tree. So i push the exit button and i can see my settler and warrior but i have no interface at all. and i can't seem to open the BUG options (ctrl+alt+O) or anything.

I haven't tested version 4.4. I'll have a look at it and see if they've broken something.

Trouble is the Mac version uses Python v2.3 (if I recall correctly) while Windows uses v2.4, There are several nice new features in v2.4 that they just can't resist using when adding stuff to BUG, and that breaks it for the Mac.

Anyway, I'll report back after I've looked at it.

[UPDATE]

Grrrrr ! I *did* test v4.4 a while back, and this is still the same problem that was reported at the time. BUG hasn't been re-released since that fix was put into the Subversion code base.

You have to edit the Python file:

/Applications/Civilization IV/Beyond the Sword/Mods/BUG Mod/Assets/Python/BUG/BugUtil.py

and delete line 699. If you don't have a text editor with line numbers, just search for, and delete, the line:

newFunc.__name__ = function.__name__

That should fix the problem.

Did you leave feedback about this with the BUG team?
Sure did. They told me how to fix the problem in the first place, and said they would include it in the next release. As I don't track the releases, I have no idea whether that has happened yet.
By the way, do you know if it's possible to safely use the new version of BAT on Mac OS X?
Dunno, sorry. I was only interested in BUG because it is used in the BUFFY mod that we use to support the BtS GoTM competitions. I don't play the game myself, so I have no interest in graphics enhancement mods.

By the way, do you know if it's possible to safely use the new version of BAT on Mac OS X?

No, BAT can't be made to run on Mac anymore (since version 2.4 or 3.0, I forget which).

BAT includes a custom DLL which the Mac version doesn't support, and around version 2.4 the XML assets included in BAT became dependent on that DLL.

Just made the switch today from PC to Mac. I purchased CIV 4 and BTS of Steam, installed it no problem. Two questions:

1. I want to install the BUG mod. When I download it, is it the same file for both PC and Mac or is there a BUG mod for Mac and one for PC? If so, where do I get the Mac one?

2. Because I purchased and download the game from Steam, does it matter when using the BUG Mod? Could I encounter any issues?

Thanks in advance.

1. I want to install the BUG mod. When I download it, is it the same file for both PC and Mac or is there a BUG mod for Mac and one for PC? If so, where do I get the Mac one?

It should download the ZIP for Mac by default. If you got an EXE, do "Show all Files" on that download page and get the ZIP Archive version.

2. Because I purchased and download the game from Steam, does it matter when using the BUG Mod? Could I encounter any issues?

There is an outstanding Mac issue mentioned above in post #174, originally solved here. I haven't had time to put together a recent release of BUG, but it's a pretty easy fix using SimpleText.

Note that the Steam version installs in a different location from the DVD. See the FAQ entry that deals with this.

Top Bottom