PerfectWorld3

Thanks for the reply Sirian.

I still think that good graphics are not necessarily the ones with the highest tech requirements. My machine is only about 3 years old now(won it from Firaxis actually), and I can't suffer through Civ5 on a large map. I made large and huge sizes for other people! :)

When I scroll the map, it takes like 5 seconds for the normal maps to pop in. It looks gawd awful. With my not-so-terribly-old computer on a large map, Bob Ross could paint a nature scene faster than Civ5. Its one thing for a game to make nice still screenshots, but their supposed to move and stuff.

Weird question... What is the size of "standard" map? I mean is it 80x52 or what?

Any chance it's possible to eliminate the 1-tile islands? I think I would prefer to see any land mass have a minimum of 7 tiles.

I constantly get annoyed when the y-axis crosses through a major landmass, because not only does that cause problems in rendering, but it's very annoying for the mini-map when my empire stretches across it. I know some maps will just force a line of water there, but I don't think that's a good solution as it would destroy some of the beauty behind this script.

It occurred to me though, that maybe a post-process call could be run on the terrain that copies out the map and pushes it over so that the y-axis falls upon a strip of all water if available, or the strip containing the most water in the map. Seems like it should be a pretty simple thing to do, but I'll have to check out the script and see if that's really the case.

I will now use this opportunity to complain about how the map is such an enormous resource hog. The map looks pretty good, but not so so good that it's worth making tiny maps when compared to Civ4. I really wish Civ5 could have supported large maps. Even if Civ5 itself doesn't really need them, its really useful and desireable for some mods to have a high res map. I like them in Civ because I can turn the land percent lower and get more varied and crazy continent shapes. I also like vast swaths of unusable terrain, all of which cuts down on the playing area.

IMHO the bigger the map the better the terrain. With smaller maps there are too many choke points (ie mountain passes) and the AI has trouble with these. So, to get a "large map" in a "standard size", could you crop a large map down to a standard map (for example)? Basically just take 10% (or so) from each edge off, and then adjust all the coordinates, and maybe smooth if any land was cut..

Now that the latest official patch has modified some map generation features, does this map script need to be updated as well?

I haven't found any atolls either. I was thinking that it needed an update as I was playing as well.

Hi guys, I haven't played Civ5 in a couple of months. What is this 'atoll' you are talking about? The script uses the default starting placement code, so as far as placement goes, anything that is placed by that should be placed. Is PW the only map script with this problem?

Atolls were added by the patch a few days ago, a new aquatic tile feature.

On the default map, they will appear semi-rarely within a minimum of 3 tiles of land; They will only appear bordering land if the border is only on one side of the hex.

I believe that your map would have to be updated to allow for them, but may be wrong.

Atolls were added by the patch a few days ago, a new aquatic tile feature.

On the default map, they will appear semi-rarely within a minimum of 3 tiles of land; They will only appear bordering land if the border is only on one side of the hex.

I believe that your map would have to be updated to allow for them, but may be wrong.

Ah, so its a 'feature' like jungle or forest. Yeah, in that case they will not appear. Anything else that you guys know of?

Hmm, I just had a look, and I really think they are not cohesive with the rest of the map. It's really noticable when they are adjacent to land. They look like atolls like you would see on Google maps or something, but the green interior implies realistic scaling of the trees, which is totally discordant with the regular forest and jungle tiles.

If I were to place them, I would try to minimize their appearance next to large land masses. Do they serve any important gameplay functions? Is there a reason besides novelty for them to exist? The regular maps seem to spread them out uniformly, would it be a problem to bunch them up more?

Hmm, I just had a look, and I really think they are not cohesive with the rest of the map. It's really noticable when they are adjacent to land. They look like atolls like you would see on Google maps or something, but the green interior implies realistic scaling of the trees, which is totally discordant with the regular forest and jungle tiles.

If I were to place them, I would try to minimize their appearance next to large land masses. Do they serve any important gameplay functions? Is there a reason besides novelty for them to exist? The regular maps seem to spread them out uniformly, would it be a problem to bunch them up more?

Personally, I like them. Unless too close to land; Like I said, only supposed to border on one side of the hex. Preferably at an angle. There is absolutely a reason for this. :lol:

Their gameplay purpose is simply aquatic production. They just serve to aid in island-heavy maps; No real need for too many along the main part of a continent, but if you have, say, an archipelago or thin peninsula, they can be invaluable.

Yes, please do that. Place them more in archipelago regions and little isles. They look horrible and out of place near big landmasses. Also is it possible to focus them in tropical regions? I know they are spread out uniformly everywhere for "balance", but it's PerfectWorld after all. I at least play your perfectworld maps to get good looking semi-quasi-realistic maps. :) And seeing those atolls near tundra is just... yikes!

:please:

Yeah, they're generally found in tropical locations near the equator, so I'd go with that. It would be pretty cool to actually focus them in areas where smaller islands exist as well, but not entirely necessary if that's difficult to determine. It would really be nice to have some source of production for those island cities though.

Hello

Having played the majority of my civ Iv games on perfect world I just excitedly booted up a pw map to have a look. I then realised there is no worldbuilder so I'd have to play the whole sodding game to satellites before the map is revealed.

There must be an easier way???

Top Bottom