Axeman Speculation

Rebels ... With their own polar continent, or island in the middle of nowhere, hanging out, by themselves, in the mid-to-late game, in some remote corner of the map ... who also just happen to have discovered all the same techs as leading civs despite being isolated and without resources. Yeah, OK. Sure. :/

Actually they are secular, separatist anarchists militants with a survivalist fetish who fled from regular society when they found themselves adrift in increasingly materialistic, shallow lives. They stole the weapons when they left.

Yeah, just think of them as crazy survivalists from the normal civs who've decided to go to live on their own in the middle of nowhere, with weapons.

How do we know they are survivalists rebels?
Maybe they have a city underwater, in the sky or on the moon. The groups you encounter during the game on remote continents are scouts sent out to prepare an invasion!:scared:

How do we know they are survivalists rebels?
Maybe they have a city underwater, in the sky or on the moon. The groups you encounter during the game on remote continents are scouts sent out to prepare an invasion!:scared:

So that's why we have XCOM in Brave New World!

I think I now know who the dark horse civ will be.

Spoiler :
It's going to be Columbia lead by Father Comstock from Bioshock Infinite, he even has a proper beard for BNW. This is going to be 2k great marketing trick: Not only advertise XCOM, but also Bioshock in BNW. :scared::hide:

If it is a new NATIVE AMERICAN UU, I really hope they don't replace it with SWORDSMEN like they currently do for IROQUOIS. I hate how ALL the Native American civs (Aztecs, Mayans, Incan) have units that are ONLY unique for ancient/classical age. I would love to see these 'TOMAHAWKS' fight against minutemen in RENAISSANCE/INDUSTRIAL age.

There was an idea in the Zulu thread a while back that the Impi should be a musketman replacement rather then a spearman replacement.

If it is a new NATIVE AMERICAN UU, I really hope they don't replace it with SWORDSMEN like they currently do for IROQUOIS. I hate how ALL the Native American civs (Aztecs, Mayans, Incan) have units that are ONLY unique for ancient/classical age. I would love to see these 'TOMAHAWKS' fight against minutemen in RENAISSANCE/INDUSTRIAL age.

As mentioned by another guy earlier, the europeans did give them tomahawks so that would make sense. It'd just be odd seeing people with tomahawks going up against Gatling guns though.

As mentioned by another guy earlier, the europeans did give them tomahawks so that would make sense. It'd just be odd seeing people with tomahawks going up against Gatling guns though.

That's awesome. I get frustrated that so many of the meso-American civs have classical UUs when RENAISSANCE UUs would've been more accurate. As I do recall, the Spaniards never fought Aztec Longswordsmen. :crazyeye:

That's awesome. I get frustrated that so many of the meso-American civs have classical UUs when RENAISSANCE UUs would've been more accurate. As I do recall, the Spaniards never fought Aztec Longswordsmen. :crazyeye:
That's perhaps because they weren't on a military technology par with the Spanish? That situations can happen in the game, as long as the Spanish are more advanced than the Aztecs when they attack - at which point, they will have military superiority. Having a renaissance UU that's seemingly primitive but then is competitive with longswords and muskets? That's just weird.

That's perhaps because they weren't on a military technology par with the Spanish? That situations can happen in the game, as long as the Spanish are more advanced than the Aztecs when they attack - at which point, they will have military superiority. Having a renaissance UU that's seemingly primitive but then is competitive with longswords and muskets? That's just weird.

Then you give this unique unit a bonus that is NOT combat relative. Just like Landschnects, you make them half price and RUSH the Spaniards. It's all about that Zergling swarm. :mischief:

I'm the one who proposed the Impi replacement for a gunpowder unit some time ago. Someone rebutted my proposal by pointing out that giving them iron melee weapons at gunpowder techs implies that they aren't utilizing technological progress and makes them look backwards. I feel that the rebuttal is just and I no longer think that the Impi should be located at the same technological level as the enemies they were fighting.

I'm the one who proposed the Impi replacement for a gunpowder unit some time ago. Someone rebutted my proposal by pointing out that giving them iron melee weapons at gunpowder techs implies that they aren't utilizing technological progress and makes them look backwards. I feel that the rebuttal is just and I no longer think that the Impi should be located at the same technological level as the enemies they were fighting.

I still disagree. I think you make them a touch weaker, but MUCH MORE CHEAP to assault en masse.

That's why I think a mounted unit is a good unique for any natives where it makes sense. That way, you can have a renaissance unit and it won't be awkward.

I don't recall the Pueblos using Tomahawks, but I could be wrong.

Neither do I. And if they go with a UU for the Pueblo I would guess the Opi from the Pre-Colombian era, not a tomahawk. Doesn't look remotely Puebloan

I'm the one who proposed the Impi replacement for a gunpowder unit some time ago. Someone rebutted my proposal by pointing out that giving them iron melee weapons at gunpowder techs implies that they aren't utilizing technological progress and makes them look backwards.

To be fair, that is pretty much what happened. Muskets were demonstrated at Shaka's court, and he had the chance to incorporate them into his army. But he decided not to. He pointed out that in the time it took a gunman to reload, the spear-wielding warriors would be on top of him. In light of that, it would make a kind of historical sense to have the Impi as a Musketman replacement. I don't say that it's the best choice; I say only that it sort of makes sense.

They could still be an alternative to Lancers.

The bigger problem to me is the number of Native American civs that don't have unique musketmen...firearm usage was pretty widespread from the French-Indian wars on.

They could still be an alternative to Lancers.

The bigger problem to me is the number of Native American civs that don't have unique musketmen...firearm usage was pretty widespread from the French-Indiana wars on.

It probably has to do with most people not associating Indians and muskets with each other. There's also the fact that the musketman we have in civ is a typical line-infantry musketman. As far as I know Indians didn't fight in typical musket formations, like those used by Europeans/Americans/Others, instead Indians preferred skirmishing tactics.

It probably has to do with most people not associating Indians and muskets with each other. There's also the fact that the musketman we have in civ is a typical line-infantry musketman. As far as I know Indians didn't fight in typical musket formations, like those used by Europeans/Americans/Others, instead Indians preferred skirmishing tactics.

That didn't prevent the Minuteman from getting in the game.

Top Bottom