Civ 5/Steam:Offline Mode Question

good for you Chalks im glad Steam hasn't screwed you sideways
See...I must be missing something here.
I have no problem with legitimate complaints about Steam and their processes and have supported such complaints on other threads, BUT...
If you are actually claiming that somebody has screwed you when YOU forgot a password and failed to keep your account details up to date with a valid email then that seems a little extreme so I'm guessing there must be more to the situation that you haven't shared that justifies this position.
If not can you explain why you feel anyone other than yourself should take responsibility for your forgetfulness/negligence?
I could see your being this angry (at yourself) if the account was loaded with dozens of games but one $20 game??

Just trying to understand.

See...I must be missing something here.
I have no problem with legitimate complaints about Steam and their processes and have supported such complaints on other threads, BUT...
If you are actually claiming that somebody has screwed you when YOU forgot a password and failed to keep your account details up to date with a valid email then that seems a little extreme so I'm guessing there must be more to the situation that you haven't shared that justifies this position.
If not can you explain why you feel anyone other than yourself should take responsibility for your forgetfulness/negligence?
I could see your being this angry (at yourself) if the account was loaded with dozens of games but one $20 game??

Just trying to understand.
im not angry over a $20 game that i already beat im just pointing out that Steam is BS and that they not the customer owns the software they "sell"

He has simultaneously lost his password, his email, his current login and proof of purchase. That practically takes effort!

Bigdog, why not just admit you were a bit silly?

i have the receipt and the game and the cd key and the game manual i just dont have the email and i have no idea how im suppose to gain access to a email address that may not even exist anymore

im not angry over a $20 game that i already beat im just pointing out that Steam is BS and that they not the customer owns the software they "sell"

i have the receipt and the game and the cd key and the game manual i just dont have the email and i have no idea how im suppose to gain access to a email address that may not even exist anymore

What is stopping you from logging into your steam account right now?

When it says "please enter your username and password"

What is stopping you?

You can change your steam email without having access to the email account.

If you have not lost your password then there is no problem here.

seriously chalks is it your job or something to lurk here and promote steam ?

What is stopping you from logging into your steam account right now?

When it says "please enter your username and password"

What is stopping you?

You can change your steam email without having access to the email account.

If you have not lost your password then there is no problem here.

the game is registered with that old email! when i ask for a new password they send it to that email address

I've not been through the process but I'm not sure it works like that Chalks. There look to be too many pieces missing.

Bigdog, the CD-Key and receipt should have been sufficient I'd have thought to reclaim your account. Can you take a photo of them or scan them somehow?

seriously chalks is it your job or something to lurk here and promote steam ?

I'm not promoting steam, I'm trying to get this guy to say the words "I lost my password". What's that got to do with Steam? Yes, sure, it happens to be a Steam password but I'm not sure what's so special about that.

Tell me, is it your job to make pompous and rude threads about our 2k reps until the mods have to tell you to cut it out? You're certainly quiet since being told to can it by the entire community, aren't you? So what's the flavour of the month now, taking pot shots at people without contributing to threads?

Bye then.

the game is registered with that old email! when i ask for a new password they send it to that email address

Just use your old password. Because you just said you'd not lost anything, so obviously you've not lost your old password. You know. Back when you said you'd not lost anything?

I've not been through the process but I'm not sure it works like that Chalks. There look to be too many pieces missing.

Bigdog, the CD-Key and receipt should have been sufficient I'd have thought to reclaim your account. Can you take a photo of them or scan them somehow?

If you can log into your steam account, you can change your steam email address without having access to it. Observe:

Changing your email address in Steam is a simple process:

1. Right-click on the Steam icon in the System Tray and select Settings or press the Settings button in the Steam menu.
2. Press the Change contact email address button.
3. Enter your new email address and then confirm the new address.
4. Press the Next button.
5. View the confirmation page and make sure all of the details are correct.
[source]

I had my email account "hacked" a little while ago and I did exactly this to set it to a different, more secure email address. Easy peasy.

im not angry over a $20 game that i already beat im just pointing out that Steam is BS and that they not the customer owns the software they "sell"e
Sigh...again with the emotive words/acronyms. First 'screwed' now 'BS'.

You still own a license to the software (which is all you ever own legally) but you have apparently misplaced one of the keys (your account password) that are needed to use it. I still don't see how this can possibly be Steam's fault.
It is exactly the same situation as if you lost a CD or a CD key with a physical product.

I can understand your frustration, many years ago I actually paid for a license to Winzip (I know who does that, but I did :rolleyes:). I signed up using my then work email, I have since changed jobs and misplaced the activation key. Sometimes I get irritated still when I remember. Does that make it Winzip's fault? Should I be mad at them? Of course not, after the initial flash of anger I kicked myself (metaphorically), told myself I was old enough to know better (mentally) and learned a valuable lesson.

If I buy Civ5 can I use it both on my laptop and desktop computer? I play Civ 4 sometimes at work *whistles* and I do that at laptop.

If I buy Civ5 can I use it both on my laptop and desktop computer? I play Civ 4 sometimes at work *whistles* and I do that at laptop.

Yep, that'll be fine - you just can't be logged on to both at the same time.

Happiness doesn't come into it...It is purely a financial decision at that point...is my internet access worth an extra $40 per month, an extra $60 per month, etc etc. At some point the pain of the extra cost will outweigh the pain of no internet.

This is quite different to the decision process which causes me not to buy cable which is not based on financial concerns. I can tolerate the pain of being without cable so I am free to choose not to support that business model.
This hits on one of the concerns people have.... supporting a business model they don't agree with. DLC and DRM being just two aspects of it. Some folks have hinted at concerns over how Steams business model will look going forward. And how Steams growing market share can alter the industry. Some of us have had bad experiences with supporting something which evolved into something very different. Case in point...

My only source of broadband internet will not allow us to upgrade to the next tier unless we also upgrade our cable package. They have a wide range of packages, and all sorts of bundle options. But to get the highest speed net, we MUST buy additional cable channels. Those are two different services. Yet you can't have one premium service without the other. They can get away with this and more because we, the customers, empowered their monopoly with our patronage. Some folks who don't like the direction that DRM is headed with internet validation, are going to attempt to alter that course by not supporting media sold in that way. People who don't like the idea of fragmenting games by monetizing them with micro-transaction DLC, are not going to want to support companies that base their business model on this practice. Those who are very concerned about these issues will debate it in public.

At some future point will Steam offer tiered packages tied to other services like comcast does? ...Free service comes with purchase of a game and allows you to play SP and download developer patches (and is required to validate your purchase). Pay a slight monthly charge and you can add fan created mods. Pay a little more and you can play MP games. They are afterall paying for all that server space, and shelling out mounds of payroll to IT. Rising energy costs, increasing network congestion, new competitors, losses to net neutrality etc will pressure the existing model. How will Steam adapt? Will the games we buy stay bought? Will mods stay free? Will we have the freedom to host our own MP games? Or will mods and MP be monetized to keep Steam afloat?

Yep, that'll be fine - you just can't be logged on to both at the same time.

So you've got Civ 5 and have tested this Chaulks? Or is this just the more of the same blind faith obedience?

well it certainly seems to me that some people would find it cool if it was mandatory to have a web cam connected at all times so Steam can watch you while you sleep

Top Bottom