Tundra buff?

Add me in to combat boost/penalty to tundra.

No food, keep it sparse and hardy. Gold or resource boost would be interesting.

I hope im not copying someone elses ideas.

I believe being located in tundra generally has little or no upside, but i do think there should be an advantage to it. For example, what if (as somebody suggested at the start of the thread) units that end their turn on tundra or ice would loose a amount of hitpoints unless they have a promotion that renders them immune to it, and maybe units that are built in cities with tundra or ice would recieve this promotion automatically because they are indigenous to it.

People that grew up with cold, long and harsh winters have an edge over people who didnt. And soldiers who recieved their training in tough arctic conditions subsequently have an edge over people who dont.

Historic examples are: the french invasion of russia, the german invasion of russia or the russian invasion of finland.

That means that if you are a southern nation who wants to invade a nothern nation, you need to build an army separte for that, or give your existing army promotions that help them withstand cold weather conditions.

In "alive" the survovors of a plane crash in the snow mountains of the andees (i think it was in south america) resorted to eating their friends who had either frozen to death or died of hunger.

Arctic conditions requres a different set of equipement (tents that can be heated, which includes firewood) and several layers of clothing to regulate core temperature and avoid hypothermia. Food is scarce but walking through snow burns large amount of calories.

Ofcourse, with proper equipement and corresponding survival tchniques it can be done, and has been done.

The winter war between soviet union and finland had a death ratio of one finn for every ten russians. This was mostly due to bad equipement, poor leadership and some morale issues on the soviet side.

I guess scouts can handle themselves in most conditions.

I think that attrition penalty in tundra and desert is a good idea. I think that -17 hit/turn would be fine. The units can get a "desert warrior" or "tundra warrior" promotion to negate this effect. Units built in cities on tundra/desert tiles get relevant promotion for free.

Desert folklore is overpowered and flood plains should not give faith.
Agree with everything said in this post, from the Desert Folklore nerf to the idea about Desert/Tundra Warrior promitions, which would make a cool way to give a very slight nerf to those terrains and still make them unique - and it even makes sense from a realism pov. Only change I'd make was say -15 HP because 17 is such an odd number.

I still think there should be some sort of wonder to match Petra for Tundra. It doesn't have to be exactly identical, the yield it provides could be something else (for instance +1 Food, +1 Culture or +1 Science).

maybe a higher chance of gold/silver/copper/gems spawning in tundra tiles and either a religious wonder like Aurora Borealis (that can only be found near tundra/snow tiles) that could grant some happiness or faith bonus or something like a natural cave system to increase mine yields.

I love the idea of the Aurora. A natural wonder that spawns in Tundra would be awesome.

Does Tundra not already have a higher chance to spawn metal luxes? I certainly seem to see them in tundra all the time. Tundra certainly has a higher inclination to spawn resources that require trapping.

How does Oracle give you a free tech?

The Oracle gives a free Social Policy - FYI. Makes sense to me that it's a cultural driver.

You're right. I'll contemplate this on my next visit to the Fountain of Youth...
:lol::lol::lol:

Aurora has always been a fun Natural Wonder a lot of people have proposed.

Its really the only that I think would be "epic" for tundra/snow. It would have to be worth settling nearby though. Maybe +3 Science +4 food +3 faith and it being a 2 tile terrain (Since the terrain around it wouldn't be good it would be worth making it good) and gives units that stand next to it a promotion for +1 sight or something.

Top Bottom