The Immortal Challenge 1: Apocalypto

Site b have abolutly no food as said. Cant realy see it be much good before biology. Settling it 2 E(B2) of spot B would give it food from farming grass. and could be run as a nice midgame production city with all those hills. Of course it would crash hard with the orange spot which would be a very nice comerce city(with cottages cause of riverside, though could also be done with farms). I like site Red A way more than blue though the capital doesnt realy need to work that much food all the time. whales arent avaliable before optics anyways. I am vondering where the bronze is. If you settle the blue spot it also wont crash with B2 though it leaves you with one less city(which might not actually be a too bad thing on this difficulty level, however working 2 gold resources will probably give you enough income to expand a bit further even before col(though if your doing the oracle for col you'll get there asap anyways). Alternativly you could just settle either A or B or both and then head straight to war with france(forgoing the oracle). hoepfully he'll build the stonhenge or pyradmids for you. If only it was him that started with the stone and you had marble :devil: . On another note i checked and you could have gotten budism too. There is nothing, at leas tnot that you can see of resources directly south right? Personaly i think it would be more flavourfull to just throw up some fast cities and then rush lous than fiddeling around with Oh shiny! Running a gold mine based economy mostly until col(you have 3! goldmines within short distance of you, now if only at least one of them were gems or silver...).

I would go for blue A and wait for copper before any other city.
If you're not afraid to lose loads of jaguars, you could look for a nice food/production site on the way to france.
Why France? because you don't know where Rome is ;)

I agree. No food for the gold in B. Instead build on the plains hill that gives you access to the gold + pigs imo. Red A is better than the other A imo. Gives you corn to work the gold and settling on incense is always a good idea imo. Good stuff so far.

Am I the only one who prefers blue A?
You already have corn, so you don't need another so soon
+ less maintenance
+ working the oasis or pigs and leaving the other for capital is IMHO optimal use of already improved tiles.
+having the incense now is of no use, since you don't know calendar
+ the corn is in the second ring, meaning that you'd have no food to allow working the gold in the next 20 turns at least!

I really think blue A >> red A.

Red A is the better choice.

- It's more assertive in terms of claiming territory.
- It'll have a slightly slower growth curve than blue A initially because of the need to build an obelisk, but it's much stronger in the long run to bring a new food resource into the empire rather than share an existing one.
- 1gpt maintenance is not significant, I don't even take this into consideration. Ever.

I would then settle B on the river 2 east of where you have it so you can keep the horses in the city radius and build farms. It overlaps site ? but this is not important compared to claiming more specials and working them. A fishing village can get the whales later, they aren't any use until optics which is far off.

Discovering bronze might change these assessments slightly.

uber, what do you think of the plains hill one S of where you suggested for B?

cons: loses the horses from bfc, i think less farms

pros: can share the pigs with the capital (more food), starts on a plains hill = more initial production, saves a forest for another chop

I will go with Red A cite for first city, but why barrack? You need a few cheap warriors for fogbusting and to protect you second city.
You build settler, but when I do it, I have warrior allredy fortifyed on second site for 3-5 turns. So, he had defence bonuses when I build city on top of it.
I will connect hourses first, then gold.
I useally do converting the turn I discover early religion, to minimise production loss.

There is 2 way to figth barbarian - fogbusting or having mobile defence.
You allredy late with fog busting and your area is to big. So, mobile defence in form of chariots is your only choise, but befor you connect hourses you need a few warriors anyway.

You need slavery ASAP.

Of course "borrowing", or rather stealing the pig at B is an option, but why give up the horse for it? With my suggested location at size 4, say, you can work gold, horse, farm, mine for 10h 12c which is a very nice early game output.

In the early game, more total resource specials worked = greater economic output.

but why barrack?

For the Chariot rush to take out France, of course. You are right though a couple of Warriors first would have been the safe move. Anyway, I'd settle Uber's site and start churning out Chariots. You have a small window in Immortal before the AIs defenses reach a point where you need Catapults.

Darrell

No warriors. You'll end up disbanding them for upkeep anyway.

Chariots are perfect to beat barbarians in Warlords.

IMO the French only have 1-3 archers per city atm. They are creative tho, so 20% city def is a guaranteed minimum.

I think we have time before the barbs start rushing for our borders. By then we'd have chariots. Barracks is so that we can build promoted chariots. End of barb problem.

IMO, Jaguars would be a good unit to use against France. Chariots? Who needs them for an invasion when you have 2-move Jags? ;)

I intended Site B to be just a coastal city that grabs resources (working the gold is not that important here). But you guys are right in that there's no point grabbing the whales until we get Optics.

Red A, is shorly better. you will gain the insens imideatly :) . Insens is a poor resorse to work, it gives no food, only monney; so wy not settle on it. now when you have a religon, insens is greate for happy faces. I can't see any outher greate citys. I gues this is how imortal shod be.

IMO, Jaguars would be a good unit to use against France. Chariots? Who needs them for an invasion when you have 2-move Jags? ;)

The big difference is you will be able to make Chariots in less than a dozen turns, while you won't be able to make Jaguars until you research Iron Working. That's pretty late to be rushing an Immortal AI, although Louis doesn't stack troops like JC.

If you don't mind, can I shadow play a Chariot rush and then post the results after you have played through your rush?

Darrell

@Darreljs I probably agree with you here, i know it's possible with war chariots on immortal even against cities defended by one spear and 2 archers, it cost me a lot of war chariots though, with normal chariots a lot depends on Louis having metal or not. A jag rush may well come to late unless we beeline for IW which is somewhat one sided.

I know Acidsatyr took out HC with chariots in his discussion on immortal game after he scouted and saw Inca had no metal.

<delurks>
Aelf, I wanted to say thanks for doing these series, I find them to be both informative and entertaining. I usually play Monarch (2.08), so I offer my input FWIW. Still, why not settle 1 NW of the blue A? You would have access to fresh water, and have the gold, pig, and stone within the city radius. All of those grassland hills would make it a production powerhouse. The red A is nice, but you will not be able to work the corn until you get a border pop (Stonehenge?), and even then the corn won't be irrigated.

Top Bottom