Alexander? Really?

StrategyMaster4

Chieftain
:confused:I start a game as Carthage, and start exploring. I meet Cathy, Genghis, and Alexander. I meet him, his scout, and a turn after, he comes up and denounces me. No apparent reason (except for the fact that we weren't far from each other and he probably wanted my land). The thing is, usually people start getting upset about land a bit later, and a bit more gradually. I understand it's Alexander, and he's crazy, but that early? Also, Genghis came out of the blue and nearly took my city...he also wanted my lands. But thats kinda understandable.

But with Greece, theres been so much tension and 1 and a half wars already...

:confused::confused::confused:

Two warmongerers and the worst backstabber in the bunch -- good luck with that start. Frankly, I'm surprised on the few occasions (and it is very few) when Alex doesn't insta-denouce me one turn after we meet (bad breath, I guess). Seems like he starts the game grumpy and his mood rarely improves.

Also, he, like Caesar and Nappy, seems prone to sharp tactics in what should be standard friendly/neutral trade deals, asking for discounts and extra goodies on normal trades, like embassies (No, you don't get all my horses for an embassy)--but uniformly accepts when I respond with standard terms, so they aren't actually unfriendly (like 22 gold embassy sales usually indicate). Really irritating, but it does add some flavor.

Oh god Alex he denounced me on turn 5 of a game LOL

Alex and Attila love denouncing people in the early game before they attack them - I've seen as early as Turn 4, for the latter.

Alex and Attila love denouncing people in the early game before they attack them - I've seen as early as Turn 4, for the latter.

I've been testing my mod and he has been hostile and belligerent the whole game. Nothing new, but what a strange WWI.

Alliances Russia (me), Germany, and Sweden (The Northern Powers) I guess we are the bad guys. :lol:

against

Austria, Greece, England, Rome, Ottomans, Spain, and the Dutch. A crazy Entente.

Oil is in way short supply. Still working on my regular map.

On a game I recently started on vanilla, the Genghis Khan attacked me very early and gave me pretty hard time.I made peace without too much damage though.We then proceeded to be hostile with each other for a long time(he denounced me and I denounced him-multiple times, and all that fun stuff).

Eventually he got into a permanent war with my CS ally, and I went to war with him about it and before ending the war I insured that there was no easy route for him to get to it(that entailed taking a few cities:mischief:).

After that we remained on bad terms and he later attacked me again.I took two more of his cities and made peace.

All I have to say now is, "KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN"!Man, he's just mean.

Some people just can't be reasoned with.

Germany is my personal buddy, any time I see them it'll only end in tears one way or another.

Some people just can't be reasoned with.

Germany is my personal buddy, any time I see them it'll only end in tears one way or another.

I had to save Berlin what a pain. Otherwise, I'd have the French and Dutch knocking at my door.

Alexander is ambitious. As in reality. He doesn`t mess around. If he can take you down now, while you`re potentially weak, he will.

Prepare.

Alexander, Monty and Attila are the worst for seemingly auto-denouncements and back stabbing. The only time Monty has not declared war on me in a game was where he was at perma-war with every other civ except me, so I guess he needed at least one civ to trade with.

Alexander however just acts like a total douche no matter how much more powerful you may be than him. It's as if he wants the human AI to take all his cities because I've never had a kind word from him or reasonable trading terms.

On a game I recently started on vanilla, the Genghis Khan attacked me very early and gave me pretty hard time.I made peace without too much damage though.We then proceeded to be hostile with each other for a long time(he denounced me and I denounced him-multiple times, and all that fun stuff).

\

EXACTLY what happened to me...

Alexander is ambitious. As in reality. He doesn`t mess around. If he can take you down now, while you`re potentially weak, he will.

Prepare.

I've a;ready realized that...but I think that he's pissed me off sooo much that his capital is about to be taken. Tee hee...and that also opens up the route to finally EXPLORE a lot more. He's not giving me open borders and the only way I can continue exploring is through his lands.

You can try random personalities for future games if you want a chance that Alexander may act differently, but then you might get a power-crazed ghandi instead!

This tendancy will be updated by the upcoming patch. While Alex will still have a large denounce flavor, the threshold for his deciding he hates you will become larger...making it take longer before he gets to denouncing you.

It'll still happen early, though. Man, Alex goes hostile quick.

Alexander has got to be the most annoying leader in the game. Every time Greece is anywhere near me I know it's just a matter of time before he stabs me in the back.

I started a game last night and Alexander denounced me on turn five, and then I met Rome and he denounced me on turn seven. And both were mocking the size of my empire.

I'm playing Carthage and Rome has several cities only 8 tiles away or so. I've got four (all on coasts). I'm loading up on my composite bowmen and war elephants...

As I learned from Mesix in other threads, early war is not necessarily a bad thing. It lets you build experience in your units, and when you eventually crush your opponent, you now have a lot more land upon which to base your empire.

Raging barbarians plus neighbors like the ones described in this thread is why I usually take God of War as my pantheon. Plenty of opportunities to generate the 200+ faith needed to establish a religion.

This tendancy will be updated by the upcoming patch. While Alex will still have a large denounce flavor, the threshold for his deciding he hates you will become larger...making it take longer before he gets to denouncing you.

It'll still happen early, though. Man, Alex goes hostile quick.

I'm not saying its a bad thing...it adds a lot of flavor, but still kinda nice to have people say he's a douche...

I started a game last night and Alexander denounced me on turn five, and then I met Rome and he denounced me on turn seven. And both were mocking the size of my empire.

I'm playing Carthage and Rome has several cities only 8 tiles away or so. I've got four (all on coasts). I'm loading up on my composite bowmen and war elephants...

I recently discovered that Elephants against Hoplites will not turn out good. On the other hand, Composite Bowmen do colossal damage to the Hoplites.

I agree that early war is not a bad thing...on the other hand, its very fun, because the game instantly gets a lot more interesting. And also, its always nice to play almost "primitive" war. Not to mention the xp...:king:

Top Bottom