ROTQM10: Raging Over the Quarreling Mountains

Sorry all...got caught up reading Keegan's "Second World War" ~ never read much about WWII, but it's a great read so far. apparently, the germans lose

Not too much to report in game other than the rising barb menace.

I fended off several barb incersions, losing our Woody Scout to a lion after his defeat of a warrior.

I also founded a third city here, right next to G:

building a granary > monument > library i think here

i also have a small archer army by copper-town. here's some thoughts as to archer positions to funnel enemy attacks and let st pete develop its tiles.

i whipped the settler at Moscow and had it build one acher with another soon to be done. I think we might need another worker then archer and whip anothe rsettler at pop6?? we have the grnary built so we might as well.

d'oh...imageshack's adobe plug-in crashed so no pics of my small archer skirmishes already. we took first blood from the mongol's who we met via a scout near moscow.

Attachments

• ROTQM10 BC-1750.CivBeyondSwordSave
    114.8 KB · Views: 80
Sorry all...got caught up reading Keegan's "Second World War" ~ never read much about WWII, but it's a great read so far. apparently, the germans lose
Well, technically no , since the german Reich never signed peace with the Allies or the Soviets, just a unconditional surrender ;) So the war never ended with the Reich ( ok, technically the Federal Republic of Germany signed peace with the Allies, but that is cheating, since they never were in state of war with anyone :D ), and if the war never ended, it is impossible that the germans lost it, by definition ;) ( wait, that reminds me of something :p )

Ok, on our version of never-ending war:

I'm ok with whipping another settler when the cap reaches 6. i'm thinking that it would be a good idea to settle the horses area soon, even to cut the area from where barbs can spawn ( since the AI so far is not a threat in any sense )

On the fog busting: your "archer?" sign west of St pete should be 2 S, to fogbust the calendar stuff area ( and because it is of no use to overlap fogbusting areas ). The other sign ... well, I don't see any valid reasoning behind it. it does not fog bust , it does not cut the path to St Pete and it even isn't the best defensive tile around. And to be honest, we have to acept the fact that St. Pete will be our wild wild west area for quite a while and that we will have to rely in cleaning the area of intruders instead of hoping that they will try to take a fortified archer in the middle of nowhere.

BTW, who let a city without garrison in AW ? :p I know it is temporary , but it is quite a risk ;)

i left the city bare ~ the archer near the new city is for busting fog while the warrior makes his way down...risky, i know, but calculated

Again, many apologies about the delay.

Things are heating up but still well under control.

I teched the rest of Mathematics and Masonry and have set us on Construction with no beakers invested.

As you can see Joao has turned up with archers (he has 2 hanging around at the moment) and the barbs have spawned spears, again two hanging around. Our first axe is out in St Petes next turn so should be fine. Joao will head to our third city I think so we should boost defenses there I think.

Had a scary moment when a barb popped out ahead of our archer 1st IBT near our undefended city. Luckily the AI is stupid and it attacked our archer across a river at 1% odds instead of razing the city :crazyeye:

Attachments

• ROTQM10 BC-1450.CivBeyondSwordSave
    129.7 KB · Views: 71
pholkhero
ozbenno >> just played
LKendter >> UP NOW and got it. To late to start tonight, so send the comments out.
rolo >> on deck
pigswill
mystyfly

Summary:

Unless I hear any objections my plans are:

Novgorod can't use its best tile - the cows. In addition, we don't have the military to protect workers there. I plan to build a monument before the worker. That should give time to get a second military unit to the city.

Settle "F" city

Build more military and workers. Trouble is Moscow is the only strong city right now for workers and military.

TECH:
Construction? I don't see use being able to go offensive any time soon. My preferences are to work on the pre-reqs for Monarchy. I am really surprised Judaism isn't founded yet. At some point we really want a religion for easier border expansions and extra happy. Comments?

Monument in Novgorod sounds a good idea.

Settling F is something i suggested earlier so that's fine by me.

If we're not ready for elepult smashy smashy (and we probably ain't just yet) then its worth thinking about IW to clear the rice at F (and maybe find some iron).

If we're not ready for elepult smashy smashy (and we probably ain't just yet) then its worth thinking about IW to clear the rice at F (and maybe find some iron).

My tech choice is now Iron - very good point. "F" isn't much value without the rice.

IW for me as well. F is what we need now, a interior city without the need of extra protection and ,as LK says, that city is worth very little without a farm on that rice.

I guess we also need some more fogbusters as well... but the rest of the plan is Ok by my book.

1450 BC
Swap Novgorod to monument, and tech to iron working.

1425 BC
Our axe is built just in time in St. Pete. It kills the wandering barb on the corn.
Monument whipped in Novgorod.

1400 BC
The archer by Moscow is dead by our freshly whipped axe.

1325 BC
2 more barbs killed by St. Pete.
I sent the Moscow axe to pop the hut near Moscow, but just got XP.

1200 BC
Rostov is built on the "F" spot. It starts on a monument we want have the city cover all the fog busting.

We get lucky and our ax beats the barb axe. He will promote next turn. :)

1150 BC
Now this is a pain:

1025 BC
Scratch Joao's nosy archer near St. Pete.
Scratch Khan's nosy scout by Novgorod.

Summary:
Fishing is a PLACEHOLDER tech.

A worker is ready to chop the rice, and then build the road to help the economy. We now have 4, and a 5th building in Novgorod.

"C", maybe one north, just got a lot more appealing. I hate to lose the hill, but are we willing to wait for border expansion #2? I vote for this to be our next city.

I'm up, aren't I ?

It's good that the portuguese decided to settle against us ... it saves the work of going againt them and cuts our share of barbs ;)

I agree with 1N of C as our next city ... Techwise, fishing is OK form now , but after that ? Currency ? Sailing ? Construction ?

P.S I see a barb city 3 S of our "archer?" sign ( that BTW is obsolete due to that ). IMHO that is a keeper when we have the units in hand

Ouch - wish I knew you were looking for feedback 2 days ago before playing. :(
I've marked the map already with my suggestion to get rice for Rostov irrigated (post CS).
You already agreed with me on the iron site, so I'm guessing tech is what you want a comment on.
Fishing IMO is a must for settling "C", post work boat and lighthouse that is a 5 food spot.

No rush for sailing. "C" will probably be our Moai city, but it needs work boat and lighthouse first. Great Lighthouse is useless, and river trade doesn't help us. Lighthouse isn't a real rush for just one city.

I think the top of the tree is worthless for a military game outside of HE, and we aren't close to a city for that.

We aren't ready for forges yet, so forget the metal casting path.

My vote is get to priesthood to open up monarchy, and at that point we can debate code of laws. At some point we really need a religion - theology is nice for military.

I wasn't expecting feedback from you ... your set was more than enough. The rest of the team seems to be MIA, though :p

I'm not sure that going monarchy is the best idea ... but I'm really not seeing much of options :/

My vote is get to priesthood to open up monarchy, and at that point we can debate code of laws. At some point we really need a religion - theology is nice for military.

And to deny the AI the AP.

In think settling the iron and teching Construction would be good. Swords/Cats will be a good start on expansion and can join them with Elephants soon after. We have a clear expansion plan now, throuigh Joao :scan:.

North of C looks good for next city.

Fishing>construction>HbR looks like a decent tech path.

iirc I seem to recall reading somewhere that cities fogbust/spawnbust up to the limits of their legendary culture (4 tiles). If that's true then southeast corner is actually fogbusted.

The set was not as animated as that ... mainly making some units, one settler, making roads to the eastern cities ( even if because of the trade routes money ), some barb action ...

In fact the first big highlight of the set appeard quite late:
Spoiler :

First, some nice gems popped out ( good for the :) ), second, someone was overrun , most likely by barbs ... one less to kill.

Anyway, on other news, our first decent attack by a AI would not take long to appear:
Spoiler :

I played a little with the troops on the way and the guy decided to circumvent the mountain and attack via the east instead of atacking our archers + axes on the hills. More on that later ...

As discussed I settled our C ( better said, 1N of C ) spot:
Spoiler :

WB as first build.

I decided to play a little more than the usual length because I didn't wanted to deliver a game with a mini-stack roaming around. Fortunately the Portuguese troops decided to suicide fast ...
Spoiler :

Other items:

- There is a mini-stack of 2 chariots, 1 spear and one axe of KK roaming in the west of St Pete ( it appeard and got out of sight ). There was also a portuguese spear that disapeard into the west of St Pete some turns before the end of the set. be careful. And get a spear ;)

- I'm not convinced in teching construction now ... I basically let as little research as possible there after Fishing. I would prefer currency, to be honest ...

- if we go religious ,as LK sugested, i think we could go Henge to get a GP fpr a shrine. I think it would be worth it to give a shot, since the AI are pretty braindead aparently.

- we need to develop more land in Novgorod. I focused in connecting the eastern cities to the cap first and in improving that rice. Now we need more cottages.

- We should connect our new city to the trade network as soon as we can ... more trade routes = more cash

- On more settling, to be honest, I would prefer to settle somewhere near the A spot to cover our western flank ... atleast until we can conquer that barb city SW of St Pete.

Top Bottom