Better BUG AI

• CIV4UnitInfos.xml: changed iPower for Catapult(5->6), Cannon(12->14), Artillery(18->19) and MobileArtillery(26->28) to make the AI value them more which also affects the power graph. I now have doubts that this actually changes the AI's unit building behaviour.

Are you sure about this? See my attached screenshot. This is a picture of De Gaulle's invasion force, right before he declares war on someone. It consists almost only of trebuchets! Are you sure this isn't because of the increased power values?

...Wait, wait, wait. You didn't change the values for trebuchets? In any case, this doesn't seem like a good way to balance siege and normal units. He's got 11 trebs and 8 normal units I think.

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0000.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0000.JPG
    258 KB · Views: 133
Reviewing your SVN, I took a look at your install script updates again. You are using the old RevDCM version of installing the custom maps; ie the installer takes the Public maps folder and isntalls it seperatly into the custom maps folder. Now this should work, but firaxis messed up the custom maps loading somehow. Basically map scripts that load from the custom maps folder can't acuratly look in the mod's folder for the improvements list and such, so the map scripts which are built in python throw asserts. This isn't an issue for some map scripts, and especially in mods that don't alter BtS game rules in any way. However some scripts just can't handle this and break, like the Full of Resources map script. To fix this what we did is removed the separate PublicMaps folder installation, and just moved all the map scripts into a PrivateMaps folder and put that directly in the main mod. This way the main Civ4 ini file doesn't bug out when the mod isn't loaded and a map script not in default BtS is referenced, and the new scripts load properly. Anyway not a big deal, but figured you might want to know that, and know how RevDCM fixed it.

Using the latest 4/12 build.

Can the player still 'freeze' the AI? What I mean by that, and for example, I was playing a new game, destroyed Ghengis Khan's second newly built city and then I hung around entrenched in the borders of his remaining city, stayed in a state of war, and he just sits there, never trying to get out of trouble. You could actually forget you are at War because of the inactivity. In another case, another leader built like 30 archers in a city and never tried to get out of trouble either. A leader could do a lot with a SOD of 25 archers leaving some behind to protect the city.

I think this freeze problem exists in many situations, or is it a problem? and this is the best the AI can do when they are hit hard but seemingly to me, could find some ways to get out of trouble?

I understand that to have a mod load with the game, you change the mod setting in the civ4.ini file. Right now, mine is mod=0, indicating no mod load with the game.

When I installed Better BUG AI, I used the installer. Checking my mod folder, I don't see anything other than BUFFY, that I had tried out earlier.

How would I specify Better BUG AI to load with the game?

Just use the shortcut from the installer.

If you want to only use Better BUG AI, like I do, you can also edit the CivilizationIV.ini file and change "Mod = 0" to "Mod = Better BUG AI".

The question was answered by Caboose.

This mod installs to mod folder as well, I have no idea why that would fail so I can't tell you why you would only see BUFFY. Unless we are talking about different folders: I'm talking about your (possibly C:\program files\)Civilization4\Beyond the Sword\Mods\

The folder I was looking in for civ4.ini was my documents/my games/beyond the sword. BUFFY was sitting in the mod subfolder there.

I was confused about how to indicate the mod in the .ini file, reasoning that since 0 meant no mod, the rest of the mods seen in the list when running CIV4 would follow, 1 would be the first one in that list, 2 the second. I was wrong on that as you indicate just using the mod name is the way to do it.

Not a good day - in the game I just finished I was only Warren G. Harding.http://forums.civfanatics.com/images/smilies/cwm36.gif

I downloaded your mod and the changes seem very nice, but all of the special map generators are broken. Is there a fix for this?

No map script that is currently included could possibly be broken, those were all tested too often.
If your problem stems from the change of the loction where the installer puts those (I simply did as phungus said) then you should be able to fix this by moving the contents of the \Beyond the Sword\Better BUG AI\PrivateMaps\ folder to the \Beyond the Sword\Public Maps\ folder.

Managed to fix the issue with the map scripts. There was a folder missing, so I borrowed a copy from the original BUG mod and it works fine.

My friend and I have been playing together, however, and we've already had 2 OoS errors and an unplayable game due to repeated crashing. The OoS went away and didn't bother us anymore after the "offending" player restarted and rejoined, but the crashing would not stop no matter what we tried.

Any suggestions? What information do you need about these errors to fix them?

Crashes only in multiplayer? If yes then I can't really tell you or do anything about it.
If it's there in singleplayer too I'd need to get enough information to at least tell what triggers it before I can go look for the cause. A singleplayer savegame from right before a reproducable crash would be the easiest way to try to observe what's happening.

I have played it singleplayer without any crashing, but admittedly not nearly as much as we play it multiplayer. I'll see what I can do about getting you a save game. In the mean time, do you have any suggestions at all?

I do have a saved game from multiplayer right before the crashing started, if that helps at all.

Top Bottom