An Island Race

I would like to play out more of the tech tree so a diplo win is ok to me. We can use Haruns lands to generate gold. Also we cold snipe some of Askias cities and no one would care much.

So build up for a war with Harun in the near future, then get working on gpt and city states.

Upgrade the remaining Tri near London to a SotL. Don't forget our LBows can reach across the straits from our tundra island, to southern Arabia, with their 3 tile range.

We're going to own Arbaia so much!

Are going to keep all the cities? I would say raze Najran and Bagdad (depending on what buildins they have) and refound them. Maybe refound Najran 1NE.

IHT-
upgrade 2 swords to longswords
Switch Hastings from :c5gold: to SoL

Turn 226-
Almaty gifts us a LS
OB deal with Cathy ends

Turn 227-
York LB > LS
Nottingham ?? > LB

Turn 228-
Get some :c5gold: from Cathy
Spoiler :
missed screen 43:c5gold: > OB

See that al-Sharid is sportin' a new cannon!

Turn 229-
Ramasses deals ended, reneg
Spoiler :

Gunpowder > Chemistry

Turn 230-
Cotten connected to Venice now allies
Ramasses askes for a deal
Spoiler :

Lots of movement from al-Rashid but no DoW yet

Turn 231-
Coventry SoL > :c5gold:
SoL goes to north of York

London seaport > musket
Canterbury market > ^^

Upgrade Nottingham archer to lb

Turn 232-
al-Rashid builds Himeji Castle
Spoiler :

Bad news for fighting on his turf!

Ramasses and Askia made peace

Turn 233-
Hastings SoL > :c5gold:

Turn 234-
Ceasar completes Sistine Chapel, looks like he's going :c5culture:

Turn 235-
Oda deals ended giving us back 5 irons, reneg deal
Spoiler :
Ask PoS vs al-Rashid

Turn 236-
Nottingham lb > barracks
warick market > colosseum

Turn 237-
London musket >barracks

Last 3 turns just hit enter.

Ok, al-Rashid has rifles now. Only 1 rifle, 1 musket, 1 cannon. Rest is pikes and a couple camels. All our units are upgraded to longswords. We need to make a move now, there's 1 turn left on Chemistry.

Attachments

• AnIsaland-Race_0240 AD-1650.Civ5Save
    709.4 KB · Views: 119
Ok look like its now or never (or modern era) use SotL to damage the rifles and cannons ASAP. Do we kow which city has the Himeji Castle in it? This should our top priority.

Hello lurkers. I don't know if your out there but if you are and you would like a spot on the roster then shout it out as we appear to have some spots avalible right now!

@ McLMan, maybe wait till Chem and then upgrage our Trebs before pushing the button. What do you think?

Sorry, got it. Been out of town for Thanksgiving weekend. I won't be able to look at the save until I get home tonight. If it's pretty straightforward I'll go ahead and play.

Pre-Turn (240)
We have 2 trebs but will only have enough gold to upgrade one of them.
Move Northern SoL's South to help with bombardment.

IBT
Chemistry -> metallurgy

Turn 241 - 1655 AD
Upgrade Trebuchet
Move SoL's and units to set up attack next turn.
worker on road in middle of nowhere? Set him to delete it.

IBT
Copenhagen now Allies with Arabia

Turn 242 - 1660 AD
London: Barracks -> Longsword
al-Rashid helps us out by embarking 2 of his strongest units.

No better time to DOW

Sink 1 of the embarked Rifles and badly damage the other. Do some damage to Medina.
Clear all Arab units off of Canterbury island taking minimal damage in doing so.
(In hindsight I wish the rest had gone this smoothly)

IBT
We lose a Longsword to bombardment from Medina and it's Canon.
al-Rashid enters Industrial era.

Turn 243 - 1665 AD
Use SoL's to clear Arab units surrounding Medina and do some damage to the city.
Begin to embark our units.
Adjust economy to keep it at 0 income. (had gone to -9 with DOW)

IBT
Montezuma asks for open borders. Kindly refuse.
Caesar asks for a PoS vs. al-Rashid. Kind of a no brainer, might as well since WE'RE AT WAR WITH HIM! :crazyeye:
Ramses asks for war vs. Askia

Kindly tell him we have our hands full at the moment.

Turn 244 - 1670 AD
Medina bombed down to nothing.
Land a single Longsword next to the city not liking the odds of attacking the city from the sea.
Medina and Mecca have been bombing our SoL's. Need to move one to our waters to heal.
Nottingham: Temple -> Lighthouse
Canterbury: Musket -> Musket

IBT
al-Rashid must have used a promotion to heal the only unit he had not fortified in a city (Camel Archer that was near 0). Bombardment of our landed longsword from Medina, it's cannon, and this camel archer are enough to kill it.

Turn 245 - 1675 AD
Land en-mass next to Medina. The bombardment from Medina, Mecca and their fortified cannons is proving problematic.
Our Navy kills the camel archer, the last non-city-fortified unit Arabia has.
Begin to bombard Mecca.
Move another SoL to our waters to heal.

IBT
al-Rashid apparently had enough cash to buy 2 camel archers and a rifle. We lose a Longbow to these units.

Turn 246 - 1680 AD
With the bombardment of Medina a Great General is born in Hastings. Embark him and move him to the war zone for the military bonus.
We finally take Medina with a Musket.

IBT
We lose another Longsword and an SoL to bombardment.

Turn 247 - 1685 AD
Bombard Mecca and move units into position to take it next turn.
Keep some units back to heal.
Clear a pike that landed next to Warwick.

IBT
Lose musket to bombardment from Mecca and it's cannon.
We get Scientific Theory from our research agreement with Oda.

There is coal near Coventry.
Oda enters Industrial era.

Turn 248 - 1690 AD
Severely weaken Mecca. With the fall of our musket during the IBT we don't have a unit in place to take it this turn.

IBT
al-Rashid realizes that his capital is in grave danger and asks for peace.

Not yet.

Turn 249 - 1695 AD
Mecca falls. Turn it into a puppet. (Screenshot missed :()
Mecca contains the Hanging Gardens and the Porcelain Tower.
Begin to bombard Najran.

IBT
Pointiest Sticks

Turn 250 - 1700 AD
London Longsword -> Longsword
Set a couple of units to heal, move others toward Najran.
Continue bombardment of Najran.

I'm pretty disappointed in how many units I lost. al-Rashid had cannons in both Mecca and Medina. These combined with his camel archers caused lots of problems. I think we're past the worst, however, so it should be smooth sailing from here. Najran contains Machu Pichu and I think I see Hemji Castle there too so we should definately take it. Might as well take the whole island from here. Our economy is rolling now with the gold taken from the cities and we're up to +17 GPT. We can re-adjust our citizens for science and/or production. Happiness is only -3 with the additon of Gems and the Hanging Gardens so we're in pretty good shape there.

Demographics:

We're now in the lead score-wise.

Attachments

• IslandRace_0250 AD-1700.Civ5Save
    714.2 KB · Views: 125
I'm interested in filling a spot on the roster. I've read the thread and looked at the save.

As far as tactics, I suggest taking the rest of Harun's island (should be easy), then demand all his remaining resources for peace.

Hey Bluebird. Welcome onboard! If you want to post a got it and play then the save is all yours.

I'm inclined to agree we should take the rest of the island and sue for peace.

Thank god he only had cannons and not artillary! I Imagin the Hemji Castle didn't help us much either.

Upgrade the archer in Coventry to an Lbow to help with the Caravels.

Be carefull of Damascus as it has a very high strength of 33.

We can sell a fur to Rammy for 206 gold and 3 gpt.

There is potential city site on the Canterbury Island.
Spoiler :

Its 1W1SW of Nottinghams western iron. With the 2 fish and the furs it will make a good city with a market and a Collossium (best to not let it grow to big IMO).

Heres the new roster with our new team mate Bluebird included :beer:

The Roster

grandad1982 - on deck
cripp7
McLMan
Bluebird - up now

Admiral Kutzov - Reserve
Estarrioll - MIA

Heh, putting me on the spot. Ok, I'll take the next turn.

As said, for Harun I'm conquering the rest of the island, then I'll demand everything he has to leave him alone.

That spot by Canterbury looks good, I'll get a settler out there.

Looks like I'll be getting an SP, so I'm thinking cultural diplomacy for the awesome boost to our CSs.

I'll dispatch a SoL to Coventry just in case Harun shows up there with ground forces from his colonies.

Anyone in aggressive opposition to this plan?

Sounds good but maybe hold off the settler till we know what our post war happyness is like.

Also don't take any far flung cities as a peace offer.

Turn 251

Najran is falling. One of the SoL is given a range upgrade, so I send it around the south side of the island to start bombarding Damascus.

Nottingham: lighthouse>theatre

End of turn 251:
Spoiler :

IBT, Harun rushes his forces forward.

Turn 252

Najran is taken by our riflemen, saving our heavy guns for Harun's troops. I take out all his forces except for a lonely and scared camel. +range SoL starts bombarding Damascus from a safe distance.
Spoiler :

IBT
Caravels open fire on Coventry and Harun is sending a worker and a work boat headed east from this location??? He must be confused.

Turn 253

Metallurgy>rifling

+range SoL takes pot shots at Damascus while I move my troops into position, backup reaches Coventry and starts cleaning up the caravels.

Turn 254

Oda finishes forbidden palace.

Furs to Montezuma ends, try reneg, he doesn't want it at all it seems. Try selling him cotton instead, no luck.

Venice wants GS. Brussels is being a gold digger and tells us we can't be friends unless I give him gold. I give him some to shut him up (250).

Warwick: Colosseum>lighthouse

I fire the first round of shots at Damascus while moving siege weapons in position.
Spoiler :

I try to get rid of our furs. Only Oda wants them.
Spoiler :

IBT
Harun decides to sink our trireme, which for the record was the only unit firing at Damascus last turn without doing damage. It's clear to me at this point that he doesn't want to win.

Turn 255

Fire some more at Damascus, not quite enough to send in our landing party. This city is a tough one.
Spoiler :

IBT
He targets our capital ships this time. Good, we can fix those.:)

Turn 256

Damascus is taken, but our people are not pleased. They are now very unhappy. I purchase a circus in hastings to make them merely unhappy and halt all military production (we are winning, they are not needed) in favor of theatres. :sad:Oops... I accidentally annexed Damascus, didn't notice until I had switched the builds around. Sorry about that. On the positive side Damascus has 7 pop, so it might be ripe to annex anyway? :mischief:
Spoiler :

Turn 257

Uneventful turn, positioning for assault on Baghdad.

Turn 258

Navy fires at Baghdad, and artillery gets in position.
Spoiler :

IBT
Harun's stands to lose his third capital in a few turns, and gets generous with his peace offering. I turn him down, but I promise he can give it to me later.
Spoiler :

Turn 259

Baghdad comes under british rule, and I successfully hit the puppet button.
Spoiler :

Reneg peace deal.
Spoiler :

IBT
Egypt no longer protecting Hanoi.

Turn 260

Ramesses no longer provides us gold for whales and open borders for open borders. I reneg same deal.

Otherwise uneventful turn. I tell units to heal and move them about a little. A peaceful calm spreads throughout the empire, even though people are quite pissed. We will have 500g on turn 261, I suggest giving it to Rio for their pearls.

New and improved heart of the English Empire:
Spoiler :

Attachments

• AnIslandRace_0260 AD-1750.Civ5Save
    730.9 KB · Views: 156
Nice set Bluebird. Take that Arabia! I'm not sure if they are totally out of it because there are quite a few good islands in the north of the map they could resettle.

There are a couple of trades I can make which should bring some extra cash and bring us back from very unhappy to just unhappy.

So next turn we get a SP. Do I put it in Patronage, Commerce or Rationalism?

I would lean towards Commerce so we can get work towards the discount on purchasing stuff in our cities. However Rationalism seems pretty good too as the 5 turn GA and the TP sci and 2 free techs eventually could really help. ATM I don't see the 2 availible Patronage SPs as very usefull but they will become more usefull as we start to buy off CSs.

On the tech front I'm ok with Archeology next but after that I think we should work up to Economics and try for Big Ben (might be a bit late). We should get a GSci to bulb Biology to find oil (could be the cause of the next war).

Not feeling a Cultural victory here. Diplo or conquest still seem best. Diplo for preffeerance.

I'll wait till I get the all clear on which SP to go for.

Top Bottom