Gauntlet Suggestions

Ozbenno

Fly Fly Away
Hall of Fame Staff
Post them in here.

Here are the main things we are looking for in gauntlets.

• Unusual/interesting game setup
  • Maximum participation
  • Atrractive to non-HOF players

If you have an idea that fits in with the above, let us know. Give us as many details as you can about the game setup.

If someone suggests an idea that you like, also let us know in this thread.

Just remember that posting about an idea in here doesn't mean that we will use it in exactly the form you have proposed (or even at all). :D

these should all be fun as they're playing to the strengths of the civs:
tiny marathon germany inland sea domination, deity or immortal
large epic england tiny islands domination, deity or immortal
standard epic aztec terra culture, raging barbarians checked, prince or king

additionally i'd like to see the fastest possible space victory at prince or higher, so something like
standard standard any civ pangea science prince

tiny marathon germany inland sea domination, deity or immortal

If one day i play marathon, it will be on these settings(any level).

It would be cool if some Gauntlets would feature civs from the DLC/GOTY edition. This wouldn't be such a stretch for the HOF where Inca Quecha rushes were banned for general HOF but used in a Gauntlet for fun.

Some ideas for DLC inspired games:

Babylon science victory

Viking or Polynesian domination on an archipelago map (alternately a domination on an archipelago map where the player must play against Viking, Polynesia, England, etc.)

Cultural victory with ANY civ (allow DLC) allowing for different strategies from different players

A domination game with America as the civ would be cool. America requires a different strategy to be successful on account of the Musketman UU and a generally later domination path.

Do Gauntlets have to be limited to a VC in the fasted date?

It would be cool if there could be some sort of "achievement" required for the game to qualify for the Gauntlet.

Examples:

Domination game as America requiring player to bomb a city using a B-17. Pushes domination to the modern era and challenges the player to meet the requirement and the VC as early as possible.

Cultural VC where the player builds no wonders (but is allowed to conquer wonders built by the AI).

A domination game as Ghandi where the human player cannot DOW (but can retaliate when the AI players DOW taking their capital cities as required to win).

A "wonder lust" Gauntlet where the player must win with any VC by the earliest possible date while building a long list of wonders (perhaps 10 wonders or to be more challenging require a specific list of wonders).

A diplomatic game with specialized settings for fewer city states so that the player must have good relations with other major powers to win (i.e. not just bribe the CS). Perhaps a standard map with 8 civs and the CS limited to four (or maybe none at all!).

On the opposite extreme, a game with too many city states on the map requiring conquest and/or alliances more than settling cities. Perhaps a tiny map with 20 city states. An additional challenge could be added by defining AI opponents who get CS bonuses (Siam, Greece, Mongolia).

In short...Gauntlets which break the mold of standard games would be much more interesting.

i think they were requesting suggestions that don't break HoF rules and don't require special verifications.

standard epic songhai great plains domination, settler difficulty

Some of Mesix suggestions are cool and don't brake the HoF Rules.
An extra requirement, for example fastest modern domination game.
Or a no wonders culture victory.

"Maximum participation" and "Atrractive to non-HOF players" are kind of related.

If you're interested in maximizing participation and attracting non-HOF players you have to lower the time investment required to enter, so it would be good to go with more games with some settings at:
-faster speeds (Standard or Quick)
-smaller maps (Small, Tiny, or Duel)
-Domination victory condition
I'm not saying go with Duel, Quick, Dom, but I think it's still possible to get some Unusal/Interesting game setups with some of these quicker settings.
Once you get more people entering the gauntlets you can raise the time-investment requirement some.

I like the recent outside-the-box gauntlets: Ice Age Diplomacy, and Achipelago Domination. They are games that can't use standard strategies.

How about an OCC diplomacy or science game? (one where you need to check the setting)

There also do not appear to be a lot of Terra Games (and I am not sure why). I like Terra games: they are really tight at the start with some great exploration/expansion/ruin potential later in the game

yeah, we need an occ game. the aztec culture game i suggested could be modified for that:
standard standard aztec terra culture, raging barbarians and occ checked, prince.
that should be a fun one.

occ science would be interesting as well.
standard, standard, pangea, science, occ, choose your civ, king

Domination game as America requiring player to bomb a city using a B-17. Pushes domination to the modern era and challenges the player to meet the requirement and the VC as early as possible.

In this spirit how about a continents domination. This will force the game into the later eras. And it will be hard to "cook" the settings with Low Seas since you then also risk getting at least one continent locked in the ice on at least one of the poles.

An OCC Domination would also be interesting. Since, domination games typically require multiple armies which would be difficult to maintain with only one city (and especially with no puppets). Further if you "need" a resource, then it would be harder to ensure that you get it if you don't start with it in your capital. (though there is always CS allies.)

Can HOF require/check certain map settings ie High Seas?

Good idea. More strict set-up can bring more competitive games. I guess that some players like me don't always know what kind of map we should start optimally.

Can also be(for some types) : hot, low sea level, 3 billions years, etc. for example.

tiny settler india great plains domination, score instead of time.

Top Bottom