More Civilisations

How do you achieve such Firaxis-like effect? And is it based on the leaderscreen and just posterized/vectorized with some effects added?

I've always been struggling to achieve vanilla-like icons to little effect, while yours seem flawless. Still, I'm not going to change my hand-painted style, but I'm just curious :)

How do you achieve such Firaxis-like effect? And is it based on the leaderscreen and just posterized/vectorized with some effects added?

I've always been struggling to achieve vanilla-like icons to little effect, while yours seem flawless. Still, I'm not going to change my hand-painted style, but I'm just curious :)
Yep, more or less just manual vectorization of the leaderscreen in this case. BNW has two major styles for the leader icons, hard vector (Ashurbanipal, Casimir, Gajah Mada, Maria, Shaka) and painterly (Pedro, Al-Mansur), the first style is easier for me, just start with a large image and add lights and shadows accordingly, keep layering them on and play with opacity, don't worry about it getting a bit complex, it's supposed to be; very few true curved lines, one blue and one yellow light source from the back to each side.

If you want to try imitating Firaxis I might suggest the painterly icons, seems more your style, just add a few more hard edges and the halo effect.

Yep, more or less just manual vectorization of the leaderscreen in this case. BNW has two major styles for the leader icons, hard vector (Ashurbanipal, Casimir, Gajah Mada, Maria, Shaka) and painterly (Pedro, Al-Mansur), the first style is easier for me, just start with a large image and add lights and shadows accordingly, keep layering them on and play with opacity, don't worry about it getting a bit complex, it's supposed to be; very few true curved lines, one blue and one yellow light source from the back to each side.

I tend to adjust the colour of the light and aura in the icons to match the subject or the background in the icon, so it remains more consistent. I'm not particularly a fan of vectors in my work, but I might give it a shot some day.

If you want to try imitating Firaxis I might suggest the painterly icons, seems more your style, just add a few more hard edges and the halo effect.

The problem with Firaxis icons is that it's not only their vectors that have two styles (hard and painterly), but G&K and some pre-G&K icons (like Sejong) are hand-painted and soft. So it really isn't about imitating vanilla style, but rather making the icons to at least look similar. :) Thanks for the tips, I'll certainly put them to use when I get back to civ work in two weeks.

Good! but it's really dark. a lot of the detail on the ceiling and columns seem to have disappeared. Did you lower the brightness?

I still prefer mine, but of course, I'm biased. :p

:p... Yes i'ts darker...

Pouakai Hello, I would ask that you created the Olmec civilization

A sample:

Olmec
Leader: Po Ngbe
UA:

Mesoamerican culture: Shrine and Temples produce +2:c5culture: or
Rubber people: Plantations produce +3:c5faith:
UU: Jaguar Olmec: +50% combat strength in forests & jungles, Moves at double rate through forests & jungles (replaces warrior)
UB: Colossal heads: Produces +2:c5culture: and +2:c5production:
Capital: La Venta

City List:

La Venta
San Lorenzo Tenochtitlán
Tres Zapotes
Laguna de los Cerros
San Andrés
Chalcatzingo
El Azuzul
El Manatí
La Mojarra
Oxtotitlán
Juxtlahuaca
Tlatilco

a background image for the leader:

map:

another image Olmec would help create the leading

If you create this MOD I would be very grateful

You could use the Moai art.

Well yes... The only problem with that is that you'd require players to have Polynesia's DLC...

Well yes... The only problem with that is that you'd require players to have Polynesia's DLC...

You could do two versions. One has the statue as UB's for people who do not have POlynesia, other version would have it as a UI for people that do.

You could do two versions. One has the statue as UB's for people who do not have POlynesia, other version would have it as a UI for people that do.

This is easy to suggest and even implement, but you've suddenly created a lot more work for the modmaker as they now have to maintain two versions of the mod instead of one.

This is easy to suggest and even implement, but you've suddenly created a lot more work for the modmaker as they now have to maintain two versions of the mod instead of one.
That was the problem that I did not mention but was thinking of.

I believe that won't be necessary though... Even if BNW doesn't fix that (which I hope wholeheartedly) Ekmek's farm may be done by then as a fix, I'm hoping on it...

I'm occupied until June 18th, it's my final exam and review then. Next two weeks are going to be quite hot, but after that, I'm pretty much free :D

Any chance you might get the time to finish off the art for the Papacy or UK?

Awsom civs. Tibet is the best civfanMOD civilization.

BTW, Wouldn't you like to change the art for Kongo in order to make it more simmilar to the firaxis art? Tibet is really interesting, but Kongo is just too dark IMO.

Awsom civs. Tibet is the best civfanMOD civilization.

BTW, Wouldn't you like to change the art for Kongo in order to make it more simmilar to the firaxis art? Tibet is really interesting, but Kongo is just too dark IMO.

I'm planning of making a Queen Nzinga's 2D leaderscene for Kongo, that might help... (can't finish it for now, focusing on university this week)

Top Bottom