Greater Europe - People of the Old World

Hiram guessed - well, almost correctly. It is indeed the Picts, but lead instead by Óengus I, who I believe was a better leader than Mac Alpine. Currently, I'm waiting on some art and code, and I'll write up the pedias later, unless someone else wants to do it. Details will be given once I've umm... actually worked out the design properly.

Sadly, no YnAEMP support at the moment - though it's something I mean to add at some point.

Another update - there may be two civs coming shortly, one being the Picts (an error in the Lua has postponed the release slightly, but I'm sure you can wait), and the other is something not European, and will in fact be part of another mod project. Stay tuned!

Oh, hey. The Picts are done! This breaks the record of me having not done a civ in three months! Yay!

Download on Drive! | Subscribe on Steam!

Leader: Oengus I

UA: Sign of the Beast
+2 Culture for every citizen following a Pantheon belief. Cities that follow your Pantheon belief gain +2 Happiness; Conquered Cities also get no unhappiness from occupation from this.

UU: Caledonii
Replaces Spearman. Gains additional movement in Hills, as well as a Combat Bonus in Rough Terrain.

UB: Broch
Replaces Walls. Grants a promotion to every melee unit trained in the city.

Promotions
Son of Cait:
15% Combat Bonus in Hills.
Son of Ce:
Double movement around Rivers.
Son of Fotla:
15% Combat Bonus in Foreign lands.
Son of Fib:
+3 Culture while garrisoned.
Son of Fidach:
+2 Happiness while garrisoned.
Son of Circinn:
20% Combat Bonus in Friendly Territory.
Son of Fortriu:
25% Defensive Bonus.

UU: Carabanto (New Celtic UU):
Has an additional Movement Point over the Chariot Archer it replaces, and ignores Zone of Control. It is also a melee unit, though preforms a ranged attack before melee.

Credits:
XML, concept and (some) art: Viregel
Civ Icon and Lua: JFD (being honest, he did most of the work, but you know...)
Leader Icon: JanBoruta
Civ Map: TarscioCM
Testing: Tomatekh

Peace Music: A Song of Talesin - The Picts
War Music: Knights of Honor - Sword and Faith

The Picts civ will be compatible, but the Celtic UU will not, ironically. This is because Hiram deleted the Celts, and re-added them as the Iceni - so not something I can really do much about, I'm afraid. Though you never know - if the Celts are deleted, it might work, but I've not checked myself. And thanks! :D

So, I really like the Dal Riata Civ, but one thing bugged me; the Irish connection that people always tout when referring to Dal Riata is, er, overplayed a bit. Yes, they traded a lot, and yes, the languages are similar, but Dal Riata traded with everyone and I'd prefer a Civ that focused more on the Gold-generating side of things. That's why my version of the Currach was able to perform Trade Missions rather than create Fishing Boats; it also means you can start securing Coastal City-States pretty early if you get a decent start.

Nice idea with the "Monasteries are souped-up Cathedrals now" part of the UA, though. I like that a lot. I also like the Fili, because it actually makes Borobodur useful now (you get a tourism bomb, and you get a tourism bomb, EVERYONE gets a tourism bomb!), but I preferred the Insular Cross because it's less powerful than that. Just chaining Golden Ages together would be a bit nuts. =]

Moderator Action: Please read the rules regarding language use. Removed the offending word. Please help keep our forums family friendly.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Dál Riata can't really be taken out or Ireland, though, given that they were effectively Irish colonialists into Scotland, so the connection kinda makes sense. As for the Insular Cross, I like that idea - if I can ever get into UI modelling, I'll see if I can add that. Anyway, thanks! Do you have any feedback on the Picts?

Grats on the release of the picts! your take on them seems pretty good for an early domination rush.

The Picts are interesting. I agree with Bttlsht's analysis; all you need is Walls, Barracks and Construction, and you've got very strong units to throw at people. I would not want to be Oengus's neighbour on Deity, I'll tell you that for nothing. Caledonii carpet + all the interesting Broch promotions = yikes. I suppose we've just got to be thankful that Spearmen upgrade really badly... =]

The Picts civ will be compatible, but the Celtic UU will not, ironically. This is because Hiram deleted the Celts, and re-added them as the Iceni - so not something I can really do much about, I'm afraid. Though you never know - if the Celts are deleted, it might work, but I've not checked myself. And thanks! :D

They should be compatible because my Celtic split makes the old Celts unselectable rather then deleting them. Your Picts look excellent, by the way :).

I figured that I should report a bug as well.
When I was playing as the Picts 3 additional versions of the UB were shown in the city's building list, all of them had the Zulu's UB as their icon.
It is an aesthetic thing, didn't have an effect on the gameplay. But I thought that you should be aware of it.

Top Bottom