Does Civ 5 (Gods and Kings) need a Happiness nerf?

After much thought, I came to the conclusion that is it not the Austrian bonus that is Overpowered/Broken, it is indeed single player that lacks not only strength but weakness.

The AI is way too strong on higher difficulties but only because it gets such an unfair boost, that the only way to beat it is too strictly play certain strategies, making the game, not really playable. On lower difficulties the human becomes a runaway in every game, asking the question, "am i really even playing against another civilization?"

Single player lacks a descent AI, Austria is only strong because the AI has unlimited bonuses, the Unique Ability itself is not broken at all. Even as a human yourself, you are able to feel cheap in higher difficulties when you can purchase a city states that built tons of units and with a population size bigger than any of your cities, this is not Austria's fault, it is the fault of the developers for not creating an AI descent enough to play strategically, that the only excuse they have to make it better is to double up on bonuses, and hope that it counts as a descent AI.

None of what you just posted has really anything to do with what we discussed in that thread at all, but OK.

None of what you just posted has really anything to do with what we discussed in that thread at all, but OK.

Because I have changed views now. Its not about the Austrian bonus, if the developers had made the civilizations better in the way that the AI would play the game with more accurate strategy, they would not need the happiness/gold/ and other bonuses that allow it to be strong.

Imagine, if they did make them better, and at the same time they removed all these artificial bonuses that allow it to be strong, you would not have a runaway Austria in none of your games

Because I have changed views now. Its not about the Austrian bonus, if the developers had made the civilizations better in the way that the AI would play the game with more accurate strategy, they would not need the happiness/gold/ and other bonuses that allow it to be strong.

Imagine, if they did make them better, and at the same time they removed all these artificial bonuses that allow it to be strong, you would not have a runaway Austria in none of your games

Imagine, if you actually played single player, you'd understand the problems with Austria instead of hypothesizing on an unknown quality.

Also, making the AI better fixes most of the problems people complain about, not just Austria. But it's not going to happen. The devs only seem to take babysteps on improving the AI and won't let modders touch it.

if they nerfed AI happiness (but not player happiness) it might actually fix a lot of Austria AI's runaway properties. they might not buy so many cities states if it sent them into negative happiness.

i said it once before, all firaxis had to do to help alleviate some of this was give advanced setup options the ability to keep civ opponent's random but allow exclusions. having to specify every civ to guarantee you wont see austria takes the fun of mystery out of it.

Imagine, if you actually played single player, you'd understand the problems with Austria instead of hypothesizing on an unknown quality.

Also, making the AI better fixes most of the problems people complain about, not just Austria. But it's not going to happen. The devs only seem to take babysteps on improving the AI and won't let modders touch it.

I have played single player, and i know it would fix the problems to most things in the game including how people perceive the austrian bonus. If the city states didnt grow as fast and had normal production to complete less buildings and units then you as human player wouldnt feel cheap, and if the ai didnt have so much happiness and gold, it wouldnt buy as many. And even if it did, they wouldnt be as good as they are now, specially in higher difficulties. Also, i think they can make the ai better, but it would require more time which means more money, each civ is different and would need to pay attention to each civ individually. Take a look at Netherlands, i never see naval ai battles, and ai are always resistant to trade, making netherlands as a uselrss ai civ without proper coding to how it should really work, or look at sweden never wanting frienships as the ai.. In conclusion some bonuses shine more than others not because of the ability, but because how all ai civs are coded under one universal way of playing.

Top Bottom