Would you like to see cottages again?

Ogenvi

Chieftain
Well, in my opinion the economy system to get gold by trading posts I see as a simple method. In Civ IV cottages improve theirselves by the time and their yield increase, and this system I see as a complex way than custom house-trading post; it doesn't make sense that your cities are sorrounded by 8 or 10 tranding posts than 8 villages and towns.

Needs a poll ;)

And yes, I would prefer them to cottages. Speaking in-game play, with the new focus on gold via trade, I'm not sure how viable they are though, and how it would offset balance when you have growing gold revenues. It also reduces flexibility which was one of the reasons for introducing static trading posts versus growing cottages. I could also see these getting a science yield instead of gold on upgrades.

I don't mind them maintaining the current trading post mechanics, I just wish they'd change the name/ look of the things. It makes far more sense to call them "Town" or "Village" and show a small cluster of buildings similar to the ones in your city. The current graphic I find really jarring; some big blue church looking thing completely out of proportion with the buildings in your city.

I miss cottages a lot actually; villages and towns added a lot aesthetically to the map, just made it look more real. Trading posts just look weird.

In G&K, the concept of a Civ-IV like cottage that grows to villages & towns would be very much OP.

I don't know enough about BNW, but it appears the additional money problem is in the early to mid game; so wouldn't help offset the early game loss from rivers while again being OPed in the end. Reversing to allow trade posts in early game instead of having to wait for Guilds would be a much better fill of that void.

Trading posts are ok. At least they no longer permanently look like a circus or Renaissance Fair camped on the outskirts of the city. Having towns or suburbs grow up around major cities would be nice, but I feel that trading posts fill that purpose well enough now that the graphic updates with eras.

Yes, I really liked the Civ4 mechanism of villages going into towns etc. It also made you think twice about pillaging tiles with Towns.

Trading posts look very stupid and breaks immersion a great deal.
Cottages/Villages and Towns would be much better of course.

I'm fine with Trading Posts (I'm talking about mechanics here, not names. I.e., they don't need to increase in value over time). Gold from tiles appears to be vastly diminished (if it exists at all) in the expansion, so a heavy tile-based mechanic seems odd.

I'd be satisfied with a simple name change to something like "village" or "town", along with new graphics. I personally don't care much for the old growth mechanic of Civ 4; let technology increase their value alone.

I simply just loved the old look of having large cities surrounded by smaller settlements throughout the empire (minus the spaghetti road networks).

Yes, I would! I took great pleasure in naming every town, and the bliss of the turn a new town is born.

I miss cottages a lot actually; villages and towns added a lot aesthetically to the map, just made it look more real. Trading posts just look weird.

I agree completely with this. Towns and villages made you feel that there was more than just those main cities..

During the PAX feed when they were demonstrating trade routes I thought that there were a series of cottage(y) looking tiles on-screen. Could have been wrong though...

Trading Posts have been my bête noire since day 1...:sad:

I would love to see cottages/villages/towns return, partly for aesthetic and realism reasons, but most importantly, for enhanced game play. Cottages rewarded long term investment and encouraged defending/pillaging.

Yes I agree completly. I loved cottages growing to villages and then towns. The trading posts are boring and ugly. As it is now i only build them on jungle i kept for extra sience.

And building several of them near each other looks pretty awful.

a cottage/village/town will help cities more having population ?

I liked the aesthetic but didn't like the mechanic. They just took too many turns to grow. It made new cities take too long to catch up and cities near battlefields take too long to recover.

the new ones grow with era/tech instead of time. I like that better than the "old" cottage system.

the new ones grow with era/tech instead of time. I like that better than the "old" cottage system.

Which new ones? Are they confirmed or something?

I just looked at the demo and I did see some new kinda building near each city... no idea what they were... but what may also be noteworthy.. has anyone seen any tradingpost in the video or the screenshot? I haven't....

Top Bottom