Game speed and finish date

DaveMcW

Deity
Does the HoF sort fast finishes by date or percent of the game completed?

If it simply uses dates, it is biased towards Marathon speed.

I wrote a little javascript tool to show how dates compare.

Attachments

• date_converter.html.zip
    1.1 KB · Views: 115
DaveMcW said:
Does the HoF sort fast finishes by date or percent of the game completed?
For Beta, by date. For the permanent HOF, not yet decided.

How do you know the numbers of turns in not biased either?
If you use the multiplier to change total number of turns into "normalized turns" you don't get the same number of turns in each speed anyway.
And that is still ignoring so many factors.

Both percent of game completed and date are very rough comparison, but it gets very messy to try to do any better.

The years can be modded. We could always make the HOF mod correct the years so they scale correctly with game speed...

Alternatively, we could add gamespeed tables, although that would quadruple the HOF size.

Furthermore, we could just rely on one speed only for HOF play.

Alternatively(2) we could go with Dave's other suggestion to restrict speeds with mapsizes. I.e. Duel/Small = Quick, Standard=Normal, Large=Epic, Huge=Marathon.

I'm sure there are more alternatives as well...

Dianthus said:
The years can be modded. We could always make the HOF mod correct the years so they scale correctly with game speed...
what is "correctly" though.
If you use just the factor .67/1/1.5/3 then slower speeds still gets advantages, as units get built faster, move more, anarchies are shorter etc..
There are advantages in the other direction as well, my point being that it is very hard\impossible to take all of this into account.

I would very like to know what the preferred solution for this (among the ones listed in this thread or others) and reasonning behind it is, from a few more people.

Top Bottom