Warhammer Fantasy Mod 2.5

I usually send cheap, fast units to pillage the roads to their resources, and then I send 3 stack of units containing knights for hit and run strikes agains all incoming attackers, spearmen for protection of my stacks and conquered cities, mages or artillery for softening the defences and infantry for charging the cities. Ofcourse, somethimes I get carried away and charge with everything including spearmen => very bad things happen after that ;)

Also, I usally keep around 5 knights stationed at the center of my territory, for dealing with coastal invasions (I almost never build ships).

Bombing the hell out of everything with spells is also nice, but I mostly keep those for any would-be land invadors foolish enough to attack me :)

I find if you put spells in coastal cities then if you see a transport ship aproaching you can sometimes destroy it as well as the units in it before they all get out and cause trouble ;)

yeah, but since coastal invasions are so rare in Civ3, I let them unload ;)

I tried to put together a list of the "not so obvious" upgrade paths, where more than one civ uses the same unit upgrading to different units, and came across some inconcistencies (sp?)

1.Why does the Indic Chariot upgrade to a Skeleton Chariot?

2.Why doesn`t the Corsair upgrade to Executioner?

3.nevermind

4.Why does the Heavy Archer upgrade to Skeleton Archer? Or better yet, why does the Marksman upgrade to Heavy Archer?

5.nevermind

6.Why does the Reaver upgrade to Silverhelm, but the Dark Rider doesn`t upgrade to Cold-one Knight? Instead, the Cold One Chariot does that. Is it cos of some obscure Horse -> Cold one thing? Cos, the Norse spearmen are not having trouble becoming Norse Dwarfs!

7.Why is the Man-at-Arms still in the regular SWORD-INFANTRY upgrade chain?

I`m aware that some of these could be harmless leftovers from previous versions, but others confuse me.

PS - I installed the latest patch and still haven`t messed with it, so you version should have the same issues.

I can answar 1, 3 and 5 I think, dont hesitate to say if I am wrong...

1) Khemri's chariot probably upgrades to the indic one I would amagine

3) The Spearman is a different kind of unit, it doesnt require maintenance, has no unit cost, and requires you to lose a population, the Halbardier has none of these qualities, so the normal spearman upgrades to it

5) Same reason as 3, it took me a couple of games to sus this out...

The chain goes trough several civs if the civs share units (see below). The War Chariot and the Skeleton Chariot are both exclusive Khemri units, while the Chariot is exclusive to Ind. Its probably a leftover from earlier versions or someting.

Example A:
Empire spearman to Reiksguard

Spearman (Old World) -> Spearman (Chaos, Kislev, Norsca) -> Spearman (Araby, Ind) -> Nekharan Spearman -> Pikeman (Kislev, Westerland) -> Bretonnian Halberdier -> Pikeman (Tilea, Estalia, Albion) -> Pikeman (Araby) -> Blade -> Reiksguard -> Norse Dwarf -> Undead Halberdier -> Skeleton Halberdier -> Chaos Halberdier

Example B:
Elf Spearman -> Phoenix Guard

To the best of my knowledge, posting your creation up to the internet doesn't constitute waiving your IP to what's called public domain.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_domain
Here clearly states

"Any work (of certain, enumerated types) receives copyright as soon as it is fixed in a tangible medium."

If you want to claim some work has entered into public domain, it should either be an IP that's waived/disowned by it's owner, or that it is no longer copyrightable (mostly due to expiration of the copyright protected period). Thus if Disney didn't extend the copyright on mickey mouse and other characters created long ago, all would be able to use those disney characters as the IP leaves the "private domain - where the owner can own the IP privately to the exclusion of others" to "public domain - where no one can claim exclusive ownership and exclude other people to own it"

Thus, it's a misconception to think anything that are released to the internet are in "public domain". Making your work available to the public, be it through paper, CD or internet, doesn't automatically make destroy your ownership of the IP of your creation. Rather, it serves as an evidence that you have created your work and you can use the release date as evidence of earlier creation to claim infringement of your IP when you think someone else has infringed your IP.

No software companies loss their IP by releasing patches through internet. And unless contrary evidence are presented, the best argument should be that the IP of derivative works are owned by the original owners and they allow other users/modders to use those works under the restriction agreements. And try to carbon copy NY Times's web page and print it out for sale, and you'll get sued immediately.

EM has been correctly focusing on this point and stating again and again, many works in this and the previous warhammer fantasy mod are original creations of the people here. The work for bug-clearing, balancing stats, and choosing/begging for various art and units to be included are IP and should be considered as original creations that are owned by this fantastic team.

Other people may borrow the artworks and units from this forum as mtrn and EM did for the creation for this mod, but the .biq file that this team worked out and maintained are clearly hardship that deserves respect and recognition.

Thus, use this 2.5/2.51 mod under the terms set up by this team of owners.
No no for releasing derivative works of this mod. ;)

[Edit: Internet is considered as a tangible medium as it can be perceived by our senses. As contrasted to intangilbe medium like "idea in my brain" that cannot be sensed by other parties until they are fixed on tangible medium - like paper or internet]

Since people have demonstrated desire to continue this conversation, I have created a thread in off-topic forum --> http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=219921

Upgrade paths in the editor don't matter, they're not visible that way in the game, whether they form a complex upgrade chain or are leftovers.

Taking a quick look at the non-internal upgrades, however:

2. Cause Executioner is not amphibious

6. Yes, it's a Horse/Raptor thing. I mean, I don't know/remember, but it makes sense ;)

2. I suspected that, but doesn`t that cripple the DE a bit? I mean, the AI rarely upgrades anyway, and you know how to refrain from upgrading if you think you`ll need amphibious units.

6.Sure it does, sure it does. ;) *ads another thing to the private change list

2. I suspected that, but doesn`t that cripple the DE a bit? I mean, the AI rarely upgrades anyway, and you know how to refrain from upgrading if you think you`ll need amphibious units.
But what if I need amphibious units after researching Steel (is that the tech?) and don't have iron until after?

So I played a little Vanilla Civ3. The warhammer mod has ruined it. Civ with the WH expansion is a million billion gazillion times more fun. Vanilla Civ3 nowdays, is a bit like masturbating to black and white photos. Leaves me feeling empty inside. Great work guys.

Maybe the fire works wonder could be used in the MEM mod and the Grand Tournament in this one? That would make Gilles happy :lol:

I don`t follow..

Assume that the Corsair upgrades to the Executioner. And that I don't have iron until the late game, when I've researched Steel. If I then want to build Corsairs if I get a new source of iron, I can't.

Top Bottom