National Wonder Elimination Thread

NT was % based iirc it was changed in the same patch that changed ironworks from % to raw hammers.

The problem is as noted previously is the only reason to pay attention to where you build it is if you get commerce or are only putting gold buildings in certain cities otherwise it doesn't matter. With a % based it allows you to specialize that trade post city.... I don't understand why it was changed, but then I enjoy specializing cities.

Circus Maximus 16
Hermitage 20
Heroic Epic 20
Ironworks 21
National College 23
National Epic 19
National Treasury 12
Oxford University 22

NC : First NW built, this is a must for your science rate. Some domination games don't need it but you will probably don't need others either.

NE : 25% growth for gpp...but that's all. I mean Pisa is way stronger already. I prefer to spend hammers elsewhere. Can be nice to catch an extra gp for optilam plays but that's all. Really not useful in mp games for sure.

IMO the treasury should be more like the college and hermitage, because science, culture and gold are the 3 main of the 6 types of game currency. So having the NW of two of those mains give not only a static bonus but a 50% bonus to all science/culture while the treasury does not just makes it the worst of the NW's.

I agree...the benefit of the National Treasury should be multiplicative, not additive.

In a related topic, I was intrigued by the concept of "6 types of game currency". I'm assuming the unnamed three are food, production (hammers/shields/whatever) and....I can't think of what the last one would be...maybe faith?

Circus Maximus 16
Hermitage 20
Heroic Epic 18
Ironworks 21
National College 23
National Epic 19
National Treasury 12
Oxford University 23

I rarely build enough barracks to make the Heroic epic worth while. Oxford University gives you a free tech, and honestly what else do you need?

I agree...the benefit of the National Treasury should be multiplicative, not additive.

In a related topic, I was intrigued by the concept of "6 types of game currency". I'm assuming the unnamed three are food, production (hammers/shields/whatever) and....I can't think of what the last one would be...maybe faith?

Actually I was thinking production, happiness and faith. Although food could be considered as a 7th.

Circus Maximus 20
Hermitage 20
Heroic Epic 18
Ironworks 21
National College 20
National Epic 22
National Treasury 16
Oxford University 20

NC is the "best" but I like making Ironworks. Also, that's that crummy one from G&K? That one's the worst.

So bad, in fact, that it was voted off before the original post...

Yes, NIA is crippled by needing a Tier 2 building to construct it, and it's rarely worthwhile having police stations in every city. Constabularies in every city might not make a lot of thematic sense (but then why is the Hermitage associated with Opera Houses?), but would make it a playable National Wonder.

Anybody actually build the Heroic Epic? The 15% sounds so miniscule when I need to build a barrack in every one of my cities when I could be building a library or something.

Never unless I happen to want to try for all the +15% bonuses (and probably Alhambra too) in one city for fun. The barracks is one building I never want more than one or two of, since I focus unit production in my best production cities (allowing me to build up my empire in the remaining ones).

It's only halted if you build a new city, annex a captured city, or if you immediately raze a captured city. When annexing/razing a city it's only if that city doesn't already have the prerequisite building. If you're capturing a lot of cities you should be making them puppets before annexing, unless you're razing everything that is. Any hammers you've put into it aren't lost, so it's never "dialed back to zero".

Also, if you build a new city and buy the requisite building in the same turn, you don't interrupt progress on completing the National Wonder (although the cost increases with the additional city as normal). Only found that out in my last game, and it's a useful way to work on a National Wonder without delaying settling your next city (or vice versa).

Circus Maximus 16
Hermitage 20
Heroic Epic 18
Ironworks 21
National College 24 +1
National Epic 19
National Treasury 10 (-2)
Oxford University 23

To me this is a no brainer. The National College is the only national wonder which is a must build for any and all situations (except maybe a Settler level sandbox game). The higher level you go, the more you need to prioritize early building of National College and plan for which city to put it in (high :c5food: and next to a mountain preferably). All other national wonders are nice to have.

I voted down the National Treasury because :c5gold: is rarely a problem after G&K. I always seem to have a surplus so the National Treasury (and many economic buildings) are not built in most games.

I've noticed that when DGDobrev votes in every one of these threads the list gets very screwed up.

This is how the list should look now.

Circus Maximus 16
Hermitage 20
Heroic Epic 16
Ironworks 22
National College 24
National Epic 20
National Treasury 8
Oxford University 23

Circus Maximus 16
Hermitage 20
Heroic Epic 16
Ironworks 22
National College 25 (+1)
National Epic 20
National Treasury 8
Oxford University 23

NC - Always up for a 50% research bonus in my cap. And comes early. Nice wonder.

on7green, you forgot to place your -2 vote.

Circus Maximus 16
Hermitage 20
Heroic Epic 16
Ironworks 22
National College 24
National Epic 20
National Treasury 8
Oxford University 23
National Intelligence Agency 20

Sorry, wasn't in the National Wonder list on the forum.

Circus Maximus 16
Hermitage 21
Heroic Epic 14
Ironworks 22
National College 24
National Epic 20
National Treasury 8
Oxford University 23

Maybe you guys are sick of elimination threads, but I'm not.
Time for National Wonders to get in the mix!

Same rules as other elimination threads, post this list in your response and add +1 and -2 to any wonder on the list:

Circus Maximus 20
Hermitage 20
Heroic Epic 20
Ironworks 20
National College 20
National Epic 20
National Treasury 20
Oxford University 20

Happy voting! Limit to one vote every 24 hours, like the other threads.

Wuuuuuuuuut
I think this is too far

You need NC ASAP in Science games
You need Oxford in Science games
You need National Epic both for Science and Cultural games
You need Hermitage for Cultural games
You need the National Treasury for OCC
You need Ironworks mostly for OCC although you can build it in other games
Circus Maximus you need for ICS
Heroic epic would be the less built of all, but every single one has its value in a type of game

I for example, have a game going, with domination as the only way to win possible, and it is a large continents map
So, as a good Hitler, I settled only 3 cities on my own, but went autocracy, therefore, annexing the big cities that have good buildings remaining after I took them, and so, as the Tyrant I am, I even build the Heroic Epic in my capital, giving my units the morale promotion, the Statue of Zeus promotion, the Brandenburg Gate exp, the Barracks, Armory, and Military Base exp, and the soon to be Autocracy Finisher

All that story was unnecessary. but my point is that rating National Wonders has no sense

Circus Maximus 16
Hermitage 21
Heroic Epic 14
Ironworks 22
National College 24
National Epic 20
National Treasury 8
Oxford University 24
National Intelligence Agency 18

OU : Free or science boosters are always high rated :D
NIA : Adding it will make no difference. Worst NW imo.

Circus Maximus 17
Hermitage 20
Heroic Epic 14
Ironworks 22
National College 24
National Epic 20
National Treasury 8
Oxford University 23

Heroic Epic just doesn't get priority in my games, and I usually have at least 2 cities up by the time i get to IW, so this gets put back on the shelf.

Circus Maximus has saved my butt on happiness in a lot of my games, especially when I go tradition 4-city rush.

Circus Maximus 17
Hermitage 20
Heroic Epic 14
Ironworks 22
National College 24
National Epic 20
National Treasury 8
Oxford University 24
National Intelligence Agency 18

Wuuuuuuuuut
I think this is too far

You need NC ASAP in Science games
You need Oxford in Science games
You need National Epic both for Science and Cultural games
You need Hermitage for Cultural games
You need the National Treasury for OCC
You need Ironworks mostly for OCC although you can build it in other games
Circus Maximus you need for ICS
Heroic epic would be the less built of all, but every single one has its value in a type of game

I for example, have a game going, with domination as the only way to win possible, and it is a large continents map
So, as a good Hitler, I settled only 3 cities on my own, but went autocracy, therefore, annexing the big cities that have good buildings remaining after I took them, and so, as the Tyrant I am, I even build the Heroic Epic in my capital, giving my units the morale promotion, the Statue of Zeus promotion, the Brandenburg Gate exp, the Barracks, Armory, and Military Base exp, and the soon to be Autocracy Finisher

All that story was unnecessary. but my point is that rating National Wonders has no sense

Just because they have different uses for different victory conditions doesn't make it unrateable. Everyone knows Korea and Babylon are science civs, just like how NC and Oxford are science national wonders, and people don't say "Oh, Babylon is going to be best because everyone loves science". I have never asked exactly what play style each person prefers but maybe some people like getting certain buildings in their games. Maybe some people think some are more important than others.

Circus Maximus 18
Hermitage 20
Heroic Epic 14
Ironworks 22
National College 24
National Epic 20
National Treasury 8
Oxford University 24
National Intelligence Agency 16

Circus Maximus is pretty dang sweet once you realize that once you build it your civ can have all of the Chariot Races it wants. Chariot Races!

NIA--Blah. Seriously, make it do something. I'm starting to think it was a bad move pointing out that it wasn't added to the list yet. :p

Top Bottom