Taxes

SR56

Chieftain
i don't know why they haven't added in taxes to CIV yet. it could be directly correlated with happiness and income, along with what kind of government you are running. i feel like it could be a simple thing to add in, and is no doubt a very important part in all of our lives. any thoughts?

Tax rates were included in earlier versions of the game.

Civ 2 had tax rates for sure. Higher taxes led to more unhappiness. I didn't play much Civ 3. Civ 4 had the slider which allowed a player to allocate between :gold:, :science:, and :culture: in a fluid way leading to cottage spam being the tactic of choice. While not really the same as a tax rate mechanic, it did create choices for the player. Civ 5 has gone a different path still and eliminated the ability of the player to manipulate income with a slider. I quite like the current mechanic, although there could be some improvement as well.

Civ II, III, and IV along with SMAC:
All had separate gold, science, and luxury taxes. (BTS also had a spy tax)

Neither 100% science nor 100% gold caused unhappiness in any version.
Instead (and somewhat ironically), the luxury tax causes extra citizens to be happy. (Civ IV renamed the luxury tax the cultural tax)

And Civ II was much more designed around running a luxury tax than the future versions. (For III you would build market places and acquire luxury types; each type worth more than the one before.) For Civ IV it was flattened out and more luxuries added designed around the combo of trading luxury for a luxury + building the improvements that doubled their effect.

I'm glad the sliders are gone.

Civ II, III, and IV along with SMAC:
All had separate gold, science, and luxury taxes. (BTS also had a spy tax)

Neither 100% science nor 100% gold caused unhappiness in any version.
Instead (and somewhat ironically), the luxury tax causes extra citizens to be happy. (Civ IV renamed the luxury tax the cultural tax)

You're confusing terminology here and drawing false conclusions based on that.

It was tax, science, luxury and espionage rates. There was never something like "luxury tax" in Civ. Higher tax rates meant more gold in the treasury, but less research and happiness/culture/other stuff. And lowering the tax rate would allow you to increase the science/luxury/culture/espionage rate instead.

Top Bottom