Darius always DOWs me. ALWAYS.

Nikki

Chieftain
Argh, I hate that SOB soooooo much... Any game where I end up close to him, I basically have to give up any hope of developing infrastructure for the first 80 turns, because he ALWAYS DOWs me as soon as he gets his <snip> immortals and starts a golden age. Even loading up on Archers/CBs only means I can hold off the initial attack, and if I don't take him down within 20 turns of a counterattack, I end up stuck in some useless quagmire of a battle for the first hundred turns. I'm at the point that I'll rage-quit my game rather than go through all that , if I can't take him out by turn 80 I just give up and start fresh.

It's so frustrating! Does anyone else have an annoyingly-aggressive "pet peeve" civ that ALWAYS ends up nearby, and ALWAYS gives you a hard time?

Moderator Action: Inappropriate language removed. Please do not attempt to evade the autocensor.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Dareios probably had Sontseus as a great general, and Chichen Itza. Bad day to be his neighbor then, even if you be the Huns.

And I would agree that there be other more aggressive types - like her. Loves backstabbing her friends literally, taking out folks with the Great Wall and then steamrolling anyone who stands in the way of her mad dreams of world domination

Spoiler :

Does anyone else have an annoyingly-aggressive "pet peeve" civ that ALWAYS ends up nearby, and ALWAYS gives you a hard time?
Not really. But I sure know who is the annoying SoB my AI leaders are ranting about. :D

Darius is one pesky dude, but they all are. Personally, I hate having Ethiopia in my games, just because it's such a powerhouse. Persia can grow into a monster as well, so it's good you start close to each other, you can kill it early and never be worried about that again.

For me it's that Askia guy. Every time he appears in my games on my landmass, I toss my previous plans out the window and prepare for the inevitable war.

I really hope they fix diplomacy in Brave New World, because I am tired of how necessary war feels in this game. At least in Civ4 you could play peacefully and have meaningful relationships. In Civ5, I'm always getting DoW'd over petty things, even when they were the ones who built cities near me, while relationships feel like putting someone in the fridge to save for later.

For me it's that Askia guy. Every time he appears in my games on my landmass, I toss my previous plans out the window and prepare for the inevitable war.

I really hope they fix diplomacy in Brave New World, because I am tired of how necessary war feels in this game. At least in Civ4 you could play peacefully and have meaningful relationships. In Civ5, I'm always getting DoW'd over petty things, even when they were the ones who built cities near me, while relationships feel like putting someone in the fridge to save for later.
Sure, the beligerence of the AI is a major bone of contention. And yet, when someone suggests an idea for some peaceful civ, their response is usually a nose-snorting "pfah, that's just a city-state".

So, we want peaceful diplomacy, but we also want Shaka and Napoleon and Caesar.

As for Persia, yes indeed it does love to DoW whenever it gets a golden age. I actually like that trait. It's distinctive.

My worst nemesis have always been the Iroquoi. They almost always ends up being in the game and runs away in tech and cities like crazy. Not always as a close neighbour, but always on the same continent, far enough away that an early war to take them out would be very impractical.

Ive had most luck with being neighbour with Sweden and Austria i think. They can be easy to make friends with, have a strong army and are not afraid of joining in on your wars with you.

Sweden tends to get destroyed... by me, or if not, by some other AI who has less impulse than me. Each time the Father of Modern Warfare appears, he doesn't live up to his title at all. One time he was stuck and sandwiched on a Pangaea continent by Nappy to the northwest/north, Greek colonizers (came from an adjacent continent) to the direct north, Ethiopia to the southwest and the Mayans to the direct south. He never did well at all, being in constant war with one or the other

The mind-boggling thing was that he managed to hold off long enough for his Caroleans and Hakkas to appear... and what does he do to besiege his equally Industrial and Modern foes? Bring tons of crossbows to smash 44-str cities, of course :rolleyes:

No wonder he finally got wiped out by Selassie's Mehal Infantries in the early 20th Century

Askia and Japan for me. Back when I was a noob they did more damage to me than all the other AIs combined.

Also Catherine. She would constantly make demands of me(way back when that was in game) and then in the end always DOWed me anyway.

I can't think of any one AI that's been too bad since I got back into this game, but that's probably because I have a bad habit of restarting games around the Medieval era.(I tend to get bored when I'm far ahead or far behind. :/)

I love it when I start next to a warmonger, at least it gives a tiny chance of a war. If I find out my nearest neighbour is Gandhi it's a restart.

I do have some advice for making wars a bit easier though:
- If a neighbour asks for an alliance against some other civ, do consider it. Imagine you declaring on Darius together with some other civ; chances are you'll have an easier time than when you leave Darius the initiative. Or to put it this way: when you're at war with Darius, there's zero chance he'll declare on you. :lol:
- Always be prepared for a war when you settle a city in the direction of an AI civ.
- Leave some money on the bank, so you can rush-buy walls or an archer incase of an emergency (if you have Holy Warriors you could save some faith, but I don't think that's a very good belief to take in itself).
- Especially when settling in the direction of the AI it'll make a big difference if you can settle on a hill.
- Don't overdo it when building infrastructure. When considering a building, always ask yourself whether you really need that building at that moment, and count the units you have to defend yourself incase you get attacked.

For some reason, I see Attila and Genghis being trashed the most.

Honestly, my biggest pet peeves are France and the Aztecs. For some reason, France always hates me, and the Aztecs, well I'm not sure.

Every AI is a backstabbing arsehole, the sooner you learn to treat every AI as if they want to kill you if given half a chance, the sooner you can get a lot better.

I had to deal with a runaway Sweden in my last game as Holland. Not only did they take out Spain, they also took out EVERY. SINGLE. CITY. STATE. on their continent, and even set foot on mine where they took a few Ottoman cities. Ever dealt with a swarm of battle-hardened Caroleans?

I had to deal with a runaway Sweden in my last game as Holland. Not only did they take out Spain, they also took out EVERY. SINGLE. CITY. STATE. on their continent, and even set foot on mine where they took a few Ottoman cities. Ever dealt with a swarm of battle-hardened Caroleans?

Can't be as bad as Mehal Sefaris. Proper artillery dosage solves them real good, I find.

I can't see Kamehameha (Polynesia) anymore. Really he appears like in every second game or so I play. Not because he's particularly annoying, just because he appears too often. Is there any way to influence how likely a civ is going to be chosen as AI opponent?

I can't see Kamehameha (Polynesia) anymore. Really he appears like in every second game or so I play. Not because he's particularly annoying, just because he appears too often. Is there any way to influence how likely a civ is going to be chosen as AI opponent?
No, except a DLC like Polynesia you can simply disable.
If you turn on the game, the first introduction screen (the one with the patch version on the bottom) has a tab 'DLC'. If you click on that it brings up all DLC you have enable. Just untick Kamehameha's box and you won't see him in the game.

Right after the one patch I kept getting Dido as an opponent. She never bothered me though. I don't think Sweden ever BSed me either, but Austria always pulled her "I couldn't stand being a faker anymore" *BS!* junk on me.

Top Bottom