Good Riddance, Advisor Button!

The military adviser was somewhat useful because he at least gave an assessment of how a war might turn out. He was never often wrong. The foreign, science, and economic ones simply resorted to: "We do not have building/improvement X which will help us, therefore you should build one." Uh, okay.

I don't need someone telling me what I'm probably going to do anyway (i.e. grow my empire and accrue points). I need them to help me explore alternatives on how to get there.

Science advisor: " If we research engineering we can build the Aqueduct in our cities. We can push our research to new heights!"

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Just because the big button isn't there doesn't mean you can't get to the advisers from the drop down menu button to the left of the spying button.

Sometimes they are useful in gauging your foes' militaries... but whenever I'm in a long war with some runaway and my advisor just keeps yammering "I URGE YOU TO SUE FOR PEACE IMMEDIATELY" or some such defeatist nonsense, my mind keeps telling (wishing) me where is that fire your advisor button

I like that they have continually tried to restore the advisors for the Civ II (or was it I) crowd who enjoyed the classic advisors, but as someone who started at III I could care less.

I'm glad to see a useful button there instead of the tutorial information.

I *always* accidentally clicked the adviser button. It was so non-descript in appearance that I always thought it was what I was looking for. I clicked on it whether I wanted to see diplomacy, or social policies : "uh non descript triangle, that must be the diplo screen right". Scumbag brain. I, for one, am glad it's gone. As others have mentioned, mostly useful for military. There should really be a better way to check that out.

My other UI pet peeve is how you can't access any of this information when a leader barges in and wants you to denounce or declare on someone else. You can't access your diplo screen from this leader-visiting-you screen, and you're supposed to just decide based on your memory of the political situation and your deals. Seems I'm never quite convinced the resource he's asking for is my last.

I *always* accidentally clicked the adviser button. It was so non-descript in appearance that I always thought it was what I was looking for. I clicked on it whether I wanted to see diplomacy, or social policies : "uh non descript triangle, that must be the diplo screen right". Scumbag brain. I, for one, am glad it's gone. As others have mentioned, mostly useful for military. There should really be a better way to check that out.

My other UI pet peeve is how you can't access any of this information when a leader barges in and wants you to denounce or declare on someone else. You can't access your diplo screen from this leader-visiting-you screen, and you're supposed to just decide based on your memory of the political situation and your deals. Seems I'm never quite convinced the resource he's asking for is my last.

This is why I like to use the InfoAddict mod. I can access a ton of useful information while being contacted by an AI leader.

Yeah, I agree a better interface would just be to allow you to click on the civ you want and have him tell you the relative strength. The scrolling was awful because, yeah, it would randomly leave someone out.

Yeah, but it's just not the same charm...

I actually found the advisers quite useful, just to delegate a few minor tasks so I didn't have to keep track of them.

Most notably the foreign adviser, telling me which resources I could trade with which civilizations as often I'd miss out on one or two deals. Science and economic adviser are pretty meh though.

Yeah, of course the advisors are kind of useless to veteran players, but honestly they're not meant for veterans. It's a tool to help new players feel less confused and works well enough for that.

I hope they don't get rid of the whole feature entirely.

Yeah, of course the advisors are kind of useless to veteran players, but honestly they're not meant for veterans. It's a tool to help new players feel less confused and works well enough for that.

I hope they don't get rid of the whole feature entirely.

I'm assuming the Advisors is just hidden in the drop-down menu (Victory Progress, Demographics, Religion Overview, Diplomatic Overview etc).

Top Bottom