Why do the new civ intros only talk about the leader?

Morningcalm

Keeper of Records
Having seen many of the leader intros from DLC, Gods and Kings, and more recently, Casimir of Poland in Brave New World, why do the leader screens not talk about the nation, and instead focus entirely on the leader? I liked hearing about the nations themselves. :(

I don't know but what I do know is that civilopedia has a hefty amount of information on the nations themselves. I love reading that stuff (of course there's not white morgan freeman to narrate it for us)

That's true, but I do feel having them in the civ intros was better. I liked hearing talk of England being an "ancient land," or of "conquests dwarving those of the Greeks and the Romans," and of ancient bygone leaders ("Sunni Ali Ber") and so on. Now it seems intros are full more of platitudes and Wikipedia/Sparknotes leader summaries rather than those with real bite or interesting tidbits.

It's kind of a shame.

I wouldn't mind if they were long, but they're a lot shorter too. Nations like the Netherlands could easily have massive speals about how they ventured out across the seas, "Expanding their kingdom, discovering new people and great riches in faraway lands" to quote the original opening cinematic. It'd be much cooler to hear about the empire as well, but for whatever reason they've gone leader.

Maybe it's scoping out for multiple leader civs in the future, seeing as they're also putting more emphasis on the leaders this time (Casimir III of Poland, Pedro II of Brazil etc. instead of Carthage, Byzantium etc.)

I don't know, I think this will be the last expansion, and that we won't get multiple leaders. Good point about the Netherlands. I would have loved to see such language in their intro. "Famous for their ingenious merchants and thriving seaports, the Dutch...."

Since Brazil and Poland are in, nations that fans requested for a while, I was hoping to hear talk of the nations more. No such luck. Such a shame. Maybe someone will make a mod for the intros? Or is that too finicky? :lol:

But seriously, especially with Poland, I was hoping to hear talk about how their nation resisted/survived invaders, etc. Same with the Korea DLC. Urgh.

Yeah, I agree with those that have said I'd rather the introduction focus on the people first and the leader second. I don't mind a little bit about the leader, but I think this is one area where Vanilla got it right.

Korea was the first to focus only on the leader IIRC - I remember a bit of confusion on the forums at the time
Right! I think I was involved in that discussion. Why mention the most beloved of all Korean kings without telling people what Korea is, why it matters, and how it has survived being between two giants (China and Japan) for centuries?

bcaiko said:
Yeah, I agree with those that have said I'd rather the introduction focus on the people first and the leader second. I don't mind a little bit about the leader, but I think this is one area where Vanilla got it right.
Agreed. There's something to be said about how talking about a nation immediately adds visual detail (land, rivers, mountains, epic conflicts over central African territory). Meanwhile, talking about a leader's legal reforms is all very well and good, but is hardly all that inspiring when no details of those reforms are mentioned, for example.

Someone should seriously make a mod for all these new intros. I would love to hear a version of the Polish intro in Polish and English, translated and written by fans. Since we're not getting actual nation-talk from the developers, apparently.

Yeah, this has been a disappointment to me, but it doesn't really matter that much in the end. I really don't know why the change (I can see choosing one or the other, but not the change).

I suppose it's a small matter overall. The gameplay is affected none.

It's just....enjoying Civ has been so much (for me) because of the historical flavor. It just seems odd imagining that had the Pueblo been in, they would rightly get an introduction as to their people, but that the Majahapit (sp?) would not get such a national introduction in BnW (if they are indeed is, as I hope they are).

Top Bottom