Trade Route Formula (Putting it altogether) and Trade

Gold per turn in the city gets divided by 20 for the calculation?

So planting a great merchant would give you 4/20 = 0,2 gpt per trade route? Mhhh, with 5 trade routes, that's 1 gpt. That's hardly worth it.
Trading post spam after you unlock the commerce finisher should be extremely useful though. I have to try that in my next Portugal game. :)

So planting a great merchant would give you 4/20 = 0,2 gpt per trade route? Mhhh, with 5 trade routes, that's 1 gpt. That's hardly worth it.
Trading post spam after you unlock the commerce finisher should be extremely useful though. I have to try that in my next Portugal game. :)

it would be cool if Customs house added to incoming trade routes revenue

it would be cool if Customs house added to incoming trade routes revenue

It does slightly for people trading with you since the formula involves the income of both cities. That doesn't sound good until you notice the AI always goes to whoever has the highest gold yield city so it means you get more trade routes and therefore more benefits from them. (gold religion science)

Now do you need to improve resources for them to count in resource diversity, or is it just that the tile they're located on needs to be able to be worked?

Resources need to be improved to count for resource diversity. So at the start of the game you want to build improvements before you start building caravans and cargo ships.

That's before gold building modifiers, policies, etc. It's more than that. And if you can even attract even just one more trade route to your city, that's + a ton of gold.

Planting great merchants is really underrated, especially in the early game. I find myself rolling in gold as soon as I get markets because I always beeline for Colossus when I have a coastal start (or 2nd city) and plant a great merchant there w/ east india company. If a civ can reach me, they pick my city. This is Emperor/Immortal. Not sure if the AI gold bonus is factored into trade route gold.

Does the gold yield get updated over the lifetime of a trade route (let's say if new resources come online) or do you always get what you initially signed up for?

Resources are counted as within your city area!
Does this mean within the city's workable tiles, or within the total cultural area? If I'm not mistaken, the culture spreads to a 4 radius distance...
Sorry to necro an old thread, but it seemed more relevant to ask here than start another.

Different resources: Bananas, Horses, Whales, Ivory, Iron, Pearls, Cotton, etc..
Route type

This reddit user did an experiment and found that bonus resources do not increase trade route gold. So bananas shouldn't be on that list, I don't think. Sorry for necro.

Top Bottom