Win 7 and XP (64 bit) civ 2 MGE and TOT issues (Fix inside!!)

Only so much I can do for you...

The message you get happens when my application can't find the patching location in the EXE file. The only 2 scenario I've seen where it happens is

1. 16 bits version of the EXE.
2. A compressed and/or encrypted version of the file used as a copy protection by some online vendor for the game.

Since more than 1 person used Cedric's patch along with my patcher, I'd say with confidence that it does work with the version of the EXE it ships with.

So my take on this is that you probably didn't choose Cedric's version of the EXE. You were either in the wrong directory, or you didn't extract Cedric's package in the right directory.

Although I tried both with and without the Cedric patch, I was under the impression it's unnecessary if your install isn't 16-bit. Still, I think I recall there being several versions of the patch available, I guess I could try another since I definitely wasn't in or extracting into the wrong directory.

Luckily I've since managed to get it running (smoothly) on an XP virtual machine using VMWare (much better than Microsoft's XP mode), so not really an issue for me now.

Still, thanks for the help.

I just upgraded from XP to Win7/64 and the patch worked great! Thanks.

I don't understand how to install the game. I've downloaded the patch from page 1 and when I click 'patch' it says:

ERROR : File Civ2 Exename does not exists
ERROR : Operation aborted

Also when I try to install my game (from cd-rom) it won't do it because of the incompatibility.

So what do I have to do? I'm not very technical with computers

I don't understand how to install the game. I've downloaded the patch from page 1 and when I click 'patch' it says:

ERROR : File Civ2 Exename does not exists
ERROR : Operation aborted

Also when I try to install my game (from cd-rom) it won't do it because of the incompatibility.

So what do I have to do? I'm not very technical with computers

What version of Civ 2 you have?

The patch in the first post works great on Civ 2 Multiplayer Gold on Windows 8 64 bit! :) Thank you!!! :goodjob:

Okay, this is driving me insane. I've done a clean install of ToT, installed this patch, but I still can't build any cities! I've directed it to the .exe, deleted a TMM file, but nothing works!

Can anyone help me?

Bump for above problem

You could give us more info. Maybe some screenshots too. It would be easier to analyze the problem.

I have been looking for this as long as I have been using Windows 7 Ultimate-64bit. One of my favorite all time games and a great WWII scenario I love to play as well. The only thing this patch doesn't do is add a numeric keypad to my laptop for better navigation, but I can live with doing this on my own. Killer little piece of code. Not sure why Firaxis has never released a version to keep this game alive, but maybe some of the old MicroProse titles are in some sort of legal limbo. Anyway, thanks for the great work.:goodjob:

I made a patch to both CIV 2 MGE and CIV 2 TOT to allow it to work with Win XP 64.

Many thanx to you, i just run an old Civ2 game and couldnt build a settlment- till yet :goodjob:

Okay, so I tried and failed, I get the error reported a couple of times earlier in the thread (with no solution I could see) and can't get past it, i.e. when I start the program I get the video then:

Error: Resource not found
File: D:\Ss\Smeds32\Port.cpp
Line: 1012
Stack trace not yet available in WIN32

I'm running Win7 ultimate x64

I started from my Civ II CD, installed the five archives of updates to MGE, installed the nocd patch (on a 32-bit machine, although I also tried without this and it makes no difference, plus I have the CD in the drive anyway) then ran the 64-bit patch, which said it worked okay and changed 23 bytes. I also installed the Indeo drivers. The Game is in C:\MPS\CIV2

Any ideas on how to fix that?

Also the link to the "nicer AI" patch is dead, any ideas where to find that?

Thanks in advance

Jon

I have a civ2.exe file that worked on 3 separate installations of x64 win7 - ultimate, enterprise and some other version. It's perfectly stable, doesn't crash, doesn't have the no-cd patch. The AI is patched too, so it is not hostile. I can upload it for you although I'm not sure if I can do it here. If it doesn't work for you then the problem lies elsewhere.

Many thanks for getting back to me - that would be great! I still have my original CD so nocd is not an issue. Could you also include a directory listing of your civ2 dir if at all possible, so I can see if I'm missing anything? Just a "dir /s > dir.txt" in a command prompt. I haven't worked out how to do a private message to send you an e-mail address - are they even supported here?

For file transfers perhaps wetransfer.com (it needs an e-mail address, but you can use any old one and also share it to others)?

BTW the md5s for my civ2.exe files are:

32-bit: fabe2ad8fb3cca6d8adc8ecf95d9becd
32-bit->nocd: 322b14c765d76cd374d9a230cbf2288a
32-bit->64-bit patch: d0f4892f36b89a7c05e11121774e7dc6
32-bit->nocd->64-bit patch: 087d7775913aea22e9902d3bfd216108

(Using NirSoft's excellent HashMyFiles.)

Jon

Check your private messages JonLe.

Many thanks for that - I was surprised the exe was 2,489,344 bytes rather than the 2,304,000 bytes of my one and wondered what version it was?

Ah, I see I have a couple of different files to you, specifically:

civ2art.dll - I've found the version you had and installed it, which fixed it !!!

game.txt

So if at all possible could you please send the second one too, just in case..

For the record here's what I also found...

A couple of missing ones:
Hallfame.dat (perhaps that just gets made after you've played a game)
Mega_World.mp/Special.mp (presumably something multi-player I don't care about)
rome.scn/rome.txt (wild guess - a scenario that I don't care about)

Also I have the language (*.fre *.GER) files from the original version and MTG isn't multi-lingual, deleting them didn't help though.

Anyway, it all seems to be working, so thank you so much for the help! I think it's war with the Americans next... :)

If you can actually start a new game and move around with your settlers then you don't need the game.txt from me. If something was wrong about it, the game would just crash on startup.

As for the rest - megaworld/special.mp are just custom maps I got from the download section or made them myself.

Rome.scm/txt are the original files from Civ2 that came with the game. There was WW2 and Rome - two example scenarios made by game creators. I suppose they might have only been present on some CDs with the game, hence why I have them and you don't. (or just one of them). Their existence in game folder has no impact whatsoever on the game running properly.

I think you're right about the hall of fame file.
If you're running English version of civ2, all *.Fre and *.Ger files can be safely deleted.
You can check the version by pressing Ctrl+O in-game.
This civ2.exe I have provided should display Civ2 Multiplayer Gold 5.4.0f, 26 Mar 99, Patch3, or close enough. Regardless, it's very stable on all systems I played on.

Top Bottom