Sailing Ships Reskins

I'll wager a donut this file doesn't exist:
<KFM>Art/Units/Rome/Galleon/Trireme.kfm</KFM>

Looks like I get a donut. I said in my post that the file structure was completely correct, did I not?

Does anybody recognize this error, or know what could be causing it? Could the animation be screwed up? Or at least have any other suggestions?

Is there a corresponding .nif named Trireme.nif along with a list of Trireme.fm files in the same folder then? If not, the kfm wol't work, it has the same effect as if it's not there.

Is there a corresponding .nif named Trireme.nif along with a list of Trireme.fm files in the same folder then? If not, the kfm wol't work, it has the same effect as if it's not there.

No there is not a Trireme.nif, but I don't think what you just said is accurate. There are plenty of units that do not use animations that have the same filename.

It has to do with custom kfms. Try renaming the Transport.nif to Trireme.nif.

It has to do with custom kfms. Try renaming the Transport.nif to Trireme.nif.

Yep i recently ran into the same problem, renamed the nif to the name of the kfm, and problem was solved. This is why I asked.

You're saying that I have to rename the nif files the same as the kfm files in all of the mediterranean sailing ship packs?

So I have to change the sotl.nif file to ship_of_the_line.nif? Considering that the kfm is ship_of_the_line.kfm?

You're saying that I have to rename the nif files the same as the kfm files in all of the mediterranean sailing ship packs?

So I have to change the sotl.nif file to ship_of_the_line.nif? Considering that the kfm is ship_of_the_line.kfm?

Pretty much. There are funky rules when a kfm is in the same folder of a nif. If you have the kfm in the same folder as your nif, they have to be the same name. That or the nif that the kfm is based on has to be in the folder as well.

No there is not a Trireme.nif, but I don't think what you just said is accurate. There are plenty of units that do not use animations that have the same filename.

Yes most units link animation to another foldr. But there is a nif with the same name as the kfm in those folders. There are wierd exceptions, but I havent quite figured all of them out yet.

EDIT: Your best bet is to try what both Mechaerik and phungus said. Or possibly you could link the animation to art/units/trireme/trireme.kfm, and see if that works.

You only have to have a corresponding nif file in the same dir as the kfm file. You still can use a different name for the nif you actually use (in xml) and copy over the standard nif to the dir of your custom unit.

Alternatively, you use the standard kfm in the standard dir and do not have a copy of it in the dir of the custom unit.

Interesting, I didn't know about this strange behavior with kfm file. I think it is quite obvious, why I didn't noticed the problem before, because I did only minor changes to the nif files (only small texture changes for most files), saving the altered nifs under a new file name, without removing the vanilla nif file. When I uploaded the skins I wanted to save space and didn't included the vanilla files, without noticing the problem.

But I don't think I will re-upload the files, because as far as I know my reskins are used very very rarely, so it's a little bit useless.

But I don't think I will re-upload the files, because as far as I know my reskins are used very very rarely, so it's a little bit useless.

So, if I put your textures in a vanilla named folder as civ-specific units, but do not include any nif file in it the bug won't appear?
For instance, just dropping one of your frigate textures in the frigate folder of a civ in my mod?

So, if I put your textures in a vanilla named folder as civ-specific units, but do not include any nif file in it the bug won't appear?
For instance, just dropping one of your frigate textures in the frigate folder of a civ in my mod?

Basicly yes. However the vanilla nifs have sometimes strange mistakes in the texture. Especially the frigate for example has the small national flag textured not symmetrically. But actually, I don't think I have renamed the frigates nif files. ;) (I did this only with my "newer" skins, which aren't used anywhere. :) ) So they should be save to use.

Im not sure that would work. The game will look for files for the default frigate that are in any art/units/frigates folders. It wouldnt look for it in say, art/units/rome/frigate. You could do this method for just the default, but not ethnic variants.

This is confusing. I'm sure I'll bump into this problem too when I start modding on the second part of the CC mod. :(

Are there teamcolored sails/hulls available for the "Carthaginian" set? If not, how difficult would it be to make them teamcolored and does anyone know how to go about doing that?

If not, how difficult would it be to make them teamcolored and does anyone know how to go about doing that?

Well, to do this you would first need to edit the dds Alpha channel. There is then a very specific set of instructions. Refar made a .pdf tutorial.

Should be quite simple to add team colors to this units in a way, which pleases you: Open the alpha cannal in the main dds as a new layer over the texture. Everywhere where the alpha channel is black (R:0, G:0, B:0) the team color will be shown over the texture. Sometimes it might look better, if the texture is white were the team color is, but normally it is not nessassary. Everwhere where the alpha channel is white (R:255, G:255, B:255) no teamcolor will be shown, instead the texture will be fully visible. And everywhere where the alpha channel is grey (e.g. R:122, G:122, B:122) half team color and half texture will be shown, and so on.

However this does only work for units, which had team colors before I removed them. For units never had a team color the texture configuration in the nif file must be changed (look in Refars Tutorial for this). But for my reskins it should be that easy.

Top Bottom