Sailing Ships Reskins

All right, this is ridiculous. I gave my artistic interpretation of the units quite a tought, especially because we are talking about a flag with 30x20 pixels. As I wrote, I am not willing to paint an eagle on 20 pixels, because this would just look as a big black spot. Neither I am willing to use a flag, which never waved above a sailing ship.

This "I want it historical accurate" or "look there, there is a small spot you did wrong, haha" really goes on my nerves. I will stop my reskinning work right here.

You shouldn't stop. Your reskins are nice and I understand your choice for the flag. If Wolf prefer the the real Naval Jack, it's fine. He can modify your units for his mod. You are the author of those units, and you choose the standard teutonic cross. For me, it's a good choice because it's a bit weird to see a 19th century flag on a caravel, but if Wolf prefer to have a flag that german ship have really used, it's fine for him. Personally, I like the fact that the civ's flag are only symbols of the civ and not real flag, like this, we can have a better homogeny of ancient civ and modern civ flag. But I know other like Wolf prefer to have history accurate flag. It's only a tiny detail, don't stop your units for this. I means, your reskins are great and I would like to see some Dutch, Potugeese and Russian ships too for better EDU ships :D

All right, this is ridiculous. I gave my artistic interpretation of the units quite a tought, especially because we are talking about a flag with 30x20 pixels. As I wrote, I am not willing to paint an eagle on 20 pixels, because this would just look as a big black spot. Neither I am willing to use a flag, which never waved above a sailing ship.

Fine by me, personally I think either version is ok, there certainly are reasons for either (and you both gave them). Wolf prefers his, you prefer yours, neither is historically accurate, nothing wrong with that.

I decided to go with yours over Wolfs (following your reasoning), even though my Germany uses the war flag of 1900 and thus has the Naval Jack in the top right corner.

This "I want it historical accurate" or "look there, there is a small spot you did wrong, haha" really goes on my nerves. I will stop my reskinning work right here.

I know Wolf has a tendency to step on peoples toes, but you shouldn't stop reskinning because of that imo. He just provided an option and gave his reasons for doing so (which you disagreed with while he in turn disagreed with your reasons for picking the cross).

This is not (or at the very least should not be) about creating the most historically accurate unit (CIV itself is not historically accurate), it is about providing civ specific alternatives for the generic units. It is not like there is the definite answer how each unit should look for each civ, this always is a matter of taste and personal preferences, having more than one option available is also not a bad thing, quarreling over which one is the ultimate version however is.

All Wolf did is provide an alternative, he did not criticize your work (as I said, he does tend to step on everyones toes while doing so). You should focus on what he said here and ignore the rest ;)

It's just an option... I didn't think I was insulting your work, I simply gave another option for those that may want something different... to each their own choice, that's all I was thinking of.

Dont stop your reskining here.. they are great and im really looking forward to more.. people have always had a difrence of opinion and always will have.. do them like you like and then others can do with them what they want...

Okay, this is crazy... I started off saying this...

Okay, I like the Prussian ships... I'm just not too fond of that darn default Civ4 "German" flag up-top.

And then I stated this...
It's just an option... I didn't think I was insulting your work, I simply gave another option for those that may want something different... to each their own choice, that's all I was thinking of.

I never said your work sucks and that I hate it... I apologize if you think that... I said I was seeking a different flag up-top, and changed it on my own end and offered it to anyone else who may want a different look. Nothing more.

:dunno: :crazyeye:

Ok, I take it, the big bad wolf has scared you away ? Will there be new reskins ?

Ok, I take it, the big bad wolf has scared you away ? Will there be new reskins ?

You are right. I think it is no fun, to be active in a forum where somebody has you on a special black list. But I will think about it. The reskins got a nice number of downloads, Chuggi is using them and if you are even asking for them... Initially I made the reskins hoping they would be used in VD, because it is the mod I am using, because it is what if, but it doesn't seem so. Well, as said, I will think about it, Mamba. :)

You are right. I think it is no fun, to be active in a forum where somebody has you on a special black list.
I think you're placing your significance in my life way too high. You're not on any list... I don't keep any list anyways, and I don't stay up at night wondering how to keep you down. If you vanished into thin air never to make another model again, or posted 8-million new models and skins, your significance in my life would be no different then it is now.

I guess you live by the phrase "just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me". I really don't care about you personally one way or the other.

I comment on things I find interesting... if I don't comment on something, I generally don't find it interesting enough to comment on.

If you want to make models, make them... if you don't... don't. I'm not losing sleep either way... nor do I have your posts flagged for special interest. If I bother you so much, please put me on your ignore list... do what you want... it will make your life easier, since I seem to have such a large impact on your life that I seem to influence your decision making process on what to do or not do. :rolleyes:

Wolfshanze give it a rest...

You requested something and he made it for you, then you insulted him, and now you're just being stupid. Also, there's no need to repeat yourself - so you shouldn't have to reply to my comment.

Wolfshanze give it a rest...

You requested something and he made it for you, then you insulted him, and now you're just being stupid. Also, there's no need to repeat yourself - so you shouldn't have to reply to my comment.
So now you tell me when I can and can't speak? Sorry, maybe JustATourist allows others to determine what he does or doesn't do, but I have free will. "Insult" is all in the eye of the beholder... he made something, and all I did was create another flag for it... so that's an insult? Sorry Chugg, but some people around here are far too sensitive... if he got all worked up because I made a different flag, and you think I insulted him by offering a different flag, you both need to take a step back and determine the difference between insults and different opinions.

I made a different flag and he went off and hid under a rock over it... please. :rolleyes:

As I said before, Wolfshanze has a way of stepping on everyone's toes - but overall I still think his is ok, he just uses a tone which some people have problems with ;)

To Wolf, you should really lighten up some, Dutchking vanished for a while because of you too and you definitely do get on Chuggis nerves as well as far as I can tell. Me, I am pretty easy going, it takes a bit to get me mad ;)

So what ships are you making next? Some Portugal ones would be nice (maybe just the Spanish ones you've already made, but with a different sail). Also, the Vikings would be cool. :goodjob:

@ mamba - That is somewhat of an understatement. :p

Portugal and Russia are still on my list. Viking doesn't sound bad, but I don't really have a concept for them, because there weren't vikings anymore in the age of sailing ships. Maybe danish symbols or completely "what if". I have to think about it. Or do you have suggestions?

In the meantime: Dutch Sailing Ship Reskins

They Dutch ones look great! :goodjob: I didn't think about the Age of Sailing when I suggested the Vikings, my bad. I can probably make some more ancient viking ships later on.

For the age of sailing I think it would be best to use Danish ships, because I just found this awesome picture:

Both does make sense (and both ships looks great, unfortunally both SotLs), danish or swedish ships for the vikings... or norway. That's why I am not sure, which one to choose... And the symbol of this tripple horn, which is used in Civ4 on the viking flag, is too complex to be used for the ships flag. :dunno:

I've always thought of the vikings as Norway in the late game. But in these situations it's difficult, so I would just choose the ship that is easiest to texture/model or which one will look the best.

I went and renamed them "Scandinavia" or represent their overall influence on the cultures of that region as a compromise. That way I can mix and match Norwegian, Swedish and Finnish units without feeling any guilt about it. Well, except for lumping all those cultures together of course, but since no representatives of those countries are coming by my house to make demands that I do otherwise, I feel pretty safe in doing so.
Besides, I'll just claim American ignorance. :D

Top Bottom