Want an easy way to play Civ V online? Say hello to Giant Multiplayer Robot! (GMR)

Welcome to GMR Gucumatz, nitro31, and Crustacian! I'm glad that you've found us and are enjoying some awesome CiV multiplayer :)

The one-year birthday for GMR is just around the corner!

Very observant! We're looking forward to celebrating GMR's first birthday tomorrow with a major update, stay tuned! ;)

So in addition to today being the 1 year anniversary of the launch of GMR, we're rolling out a major new update that includes several exciting new features! Read on for the complete list:

Community
  • A complete list of GMR players is now available under the Community page of the GMR website. This list is sortable by one of several player statistics including total games, turns, skips, average turn time, and the new Points.
  • You may now click on any player’s avatar to view their GMR player profile. This will show several pieces of information about how they’re participating in GMR including a complete list of their current games and the last 50 turns they submitted.
  • You may now send private messages to one or more players on GMR. Click on the new message notification icon next to your avatar in the top-right of the website to view and send new messages.
  • The latest turns submitted by anyone across GMR are now displayed in a tab under Community, letting you see who’s been playing recently.

Games
  • All games are now publicly visible to anyone, including game details, comments, and recent turns. However, to join a game or make any changes concerning it you will need to already be in the game or be invited to it as usual.
  • The layout game details page has been updated to include sub-areas for Details, Comments, and Recent Turns. This cleans up the long, scrolling content that was present before and allows you to more quickly access what you’re looking for.
  • The last 50 turns submitted for a game are now listed in a sub-area of the game’s detail page, allowing you to see how frequently turns are being made on the game and gain an idea of its progression.
  • You may now toggle password encryption for games you’re playing in on an individual basis. This will allow real life friends to disable the encryption GMR enforces on their game passwords when the save is downloaded by another player, making it possible to easily play a GMR game as an actual Hot Seat game for several turns when you’re together and then submit back to GMR for when you’re apart.
  • A check has been added to both the GMR client and website when submitting a turn that will attempt to recognize when a save file for a game is significantly larger than it was before the turn was played and will warn the player to attempt replaying the turn. This is in an effort to combat the save file “bloating” bug present in Civ V.

What do the points actually do?

CB's awesome and provided a link to more of a description on Points :)

But in a more general sense, the only thing points do is give a quick indication of how much experience someone has in GMR games. Also they provide a warm feeling each time you submit a turn ;)

Hi is it possible to have a feature that I can donate but gift the account upgrade benefit to other player?

Hi is it possible to have a feature that I can donate but gift the account upgrade benefit to other player?

Yes, in fact we recently implemented it! Simply go to the 'Support Us' page and above the button to make the donation you'll see a link "Gift game limit to another player". Click this link, search for the user you'd like, drag their avatar into the gift box, and then proceed with the donation as usual. The user you selected will get the account upgrade and you'll get the credit for giving it to them :)

Yes, in fact we recently implemented it! Simply go to the 'Support Us' page and above the button to make the donation you'll see a link "Gift game limit to another player". Click this link, search for the user you'd like, drag their avatar into the gift box, and then proceed with the donation as usual. The user you selected will get the account upgrade and you'll get the credit for giving it to them :)

Nice! :D

Welcome to GMR Gucumatz, nitro31, and Crustacian! I'm glad that you've found us and are enjoying some awesome CiV multiplayer :)

Very observant! We're looking forward to celebrating GMR's first birthday tomorrow with a major update, stay tuned! ;)

I was one of the first posters in this thread, but my ability to use GMR kind of declined when I didn't have the friend circle to keep games up. A few months ago, in the first big steam sale, I got several friends to join in. Now, we have 5 games running through GMR ranging from 5 to 11 players.

Now I am investigating this new patch.

Edit: Finally got to my turns today. I am digging the new client and the website. A welcomed update! Thanks for keeping this project active.

I was one of the first posters in this thread, but my ability to use GMR kind of declined when I didn't have the friend circle to keep games up. A few months ago, in the first big steam sale, I got several friends to join in. Now, we have 5 games running through GMR ranging from 5 to 11 players.

Now I am investigating this new patch.

Edit: Finally got to my turns today. I am digging the new client and the website. A welcomed update! Thanks for keeping this project active.

Thanks for the feedback! :)

That's awesome that you got some of your friends to buy and play CiV with you! I was able to get about 4 of my friends to buy it and play a bit of GMR, but it only really stuck with one of them :)

Missed first place by 500 points?!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Ps. New site stuff looks cool.
Here. Have a seal of approval.

Hello GMR team!

After the last patch I don't get notifications in the GMR site that someone has written comments for the game I am in. Is it a change introduced by the patch?
I know that I can activate E-mail notifications for this case, but I have too many messages arriving to my E-mail address recently.

Hello GMR team!

After the last patch I don't get notifications in the GMR site that someone has written comments for the game I am in. Is it a change introduced by the patch?
I know that I can activate E-mail notifications for this case, but I have too many messages arriving to my E-mail address recently.

That is strange, the comment notifications aren't affected at all by your email preferences and should be working. At least I'm still getting them. Can you do a little more testing and let me know which games seem to be having this problem?

Ooops! Upon further investigation I did find an error with game comments and have published a fix for it. Let me know if you still fail to receive notifications.

Top Bottom