Validation of maps

M07

Prince
It is an original system that I will present you.
Now, crews of your ships and your scouts will do maps.
When they will discover new territories, they will add them in them map.
For see what you discovered, you must go in one of your cities or in Europe.
However, you can give the map to an other scout or ship.
So it will be more quick to give the map of a scout to a ship.

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0000.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0000.JPG
    118 KB · Views: 129
  • Civ4ScreenShot0001.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0001.JPG
    125.8 KB · Views: 133
Gorgeous. As additional options and suggestions:

-Maps could be stolen by marauders by performing a special mission in a city. Then your marauder would need to go back to your cities to deliver the stolen info to the governor and discover the new lands. (this option doesn't not take away the map to the other civ, the marauder just make a copy)

-Maps could be stolen by marauders by performing a special mission against a unit (scout or ship). Your marauder could be able to draw these maps without performing an aggressive act, as an spy. Then your marauder would need to go back to your cities to deliver the stolen info to the governor and discover the new lands. This option does remove the map from the target.

-Maps could be transferred to other units when the scout/ship dies if there is unit of the same player in that tile (between units in the stack).

-When the unit which has the map dies in a tile, a new icon could appear representing a missing map in the place. That tile would contain the map and any unit which moves to it would obtain the map. As soon as the map is obtained by a unit, the icon should disappear.

Also I think that bonuses and promotions could be applied here; for ex:

-Political & exploration points (for Founding Fathers) when performing "x" discoveries.

-Special events or Quests like in CIV. You can place a mysterious map randomly in a place represented with an icon (as I have noted in the last suggestion at top, this is other application); it would be the map of a lost & famous place in America, a treasure map, .... The first to obtain it and return to Europe with it would obtain some type of bonuses: free promotions, gold, free resources, ... anything.
If added the suggestions at top, the other civs could stole you the map with marauders or destroying the unit which owns the map, privateers attacks when sending it to Europe, etc. to try complete the quest.
It would be really original if we see some of these sort of quests within the game.

Continued in the Suggestion List Thread. I have a few questions as well as great ideas about the implementation.

It is an original system that I will present you.
Now, crews of your ships and your scouts will do maps.
When they will discover new territories, they will add them in them map.
For see what you discovered, you must go in one of your cities or in Europe.
However, you can give the map to an other scout or ship.
So it will be more quick to give the map of a scout to a ship.

Although it sounds intersting, in my opinion, it can be a little tricky, mainly in the beggining of the game, I would do it at least as an "option" to choose it or not.
Besides, europeans sell their maps for a little money, so you can know most of the territory with some gold and very quick, another thing is that, this allows to found a city with the explorer, to ad maps to the general map, and in the following turn abandon the colony, and keep exploring.

Anyway all the ideas adding more features to the game are very good, because it makes the game funnier, but I would politely ask you to write a list with the differences between the vanilla game and the mod, from the first vesrion to now, (besides the changelog for every new version, of course)
Learning by playing is sometimes al little bit hard.

Besides, if the people could read the advantages and features of this mod, I'm pretty sure that a lot more people would play it, because it is worthy, but just a little people try it because of the misinformation. People getting into the forum dont really know what can be done in the mod (just and advice from me of course)

Keep working, is really a good job.

BTW: I havent been able to figure out how the game calculates the education costs, because they are different for every city and the change over time :confused::confused:

The problems are not necessarily that considering these points:

-AI can be set to consider maps as expensive resources.

-If adding the suggestion in my thread, the exploration process is more important than the revelation of map. Units and nations obtain "discovery points" through exploration which can be used to get bonuses, promotions, ....
Buying maps would not give you these bonuses but the updated mini-map in the interface.

-Maps needs to be delivered to the governor, who is supposed to be in the capital. Sending the scout to any city (or founding a new one) will not work.

Although it sounds intersting, in my opinion, it can be a little tricky, mainly in the beggining of the game, I would do it at least as an "option" to choose it or not.
To try it is to love it. :p (I 'd make an option if there are really a problem ;))
Besides, europeans sell their maps for a little money, so you can know most of the territory with some gold and very quick
I never said I will keep the original system! All players will be limited, early in the game we can't discover territories beyond a few plots of our cities.
Moreover, Europeans will not sell their maps for a little money, they will be harder to dupe.:mischief:
But I agree with you, without those changes my system is incomplete.
Maps needs to be delivered to the governor, who is supposed to be in the capital. Sending the scout to any city (or founding a new one) will not work.
It is a good idea, but you (Isabelxxx and Renick) really think players would found colonies only for discover some territories? I remind you we need to consume tools and lumbers to found a colony and we must pay Indians if we are on their territories :(.

To try it is to love it. (I 'd make an option if there are really a problem )

It is a good idea, but you (Isabelxxx and Renick) really think players would found colonies only for discover some territories? I remind you we need to consume tools and lumbers to found a colony and we must pay Indians if we are on their territories .

Well, in my opinion the best thing you can do is a config file, the creation of these multiple options in the "custom game" window or even a new window (as BUG does for Civ IV) to manage these and maybe other options.

Not only to deactivate/activate those features you wanna but to adjust some other things like extra difficulty, etc.

For ex. this:
Maps needs to be delivered to the governor, who is supposed to be in the capital. Sending the scout to any city (or founding a new one) will not work.
could be an option in the difficulty adjustments.
By checking it the user would choose if maps should be sent to the capital or not.

And this :

Could be easily done. Maybe for those who are starting with the mod (?) and don't want too many new things at the start.

The best choice is the use of a config file (.ini): is really easy -just a txt file read by their dependencies-, not extra work required to implement it to the game for you and any user could fully configure their games.

Top Bottom