What To Build 5 Hexes Out

brewgod

Prince
Hello Fellow Die Hard Civ 5 Fans:

So if you cities only gain the resources which are within 4 hexes of the city then if the radius of the city has 5 or 6 hexes which are a mix of hills, dessert, forest etc. what would you be building...trading post? or just leaving the land stand on it's own.

Any thoughts would be great.

Brew God

If the land can't be worked unless it is a strategic/happiness resource a fort is about the only useful thing to put on them. No use building a farm/mine/trading post if it can't be worked. Plus a forest/jungle can be a nice natural defense

Alternatively, you may want to clear cut it so that the area functions better as a kill zone for enemy units invading.

Don't place improvements that far out unless its for a luxury or strategic resource, not only is the improvement a waste of worker turns when its outside of workable city range, it also allows invaded to heal via pillaging.

This is a good question. Build forts, but only if you have a unit to put in each fort. Am I correct in assuming that an enemy can use your forts against you?

Absolutely don't put trading posts or anything but forts and citadels on those tiles. You'll just be giving a potential enemy a means to heal by pillaging.

If I have workers that would otherwise be idle, they farm and mine the fringes of my territory. I miss the IV days when occasionally, due to random events, a mine turns up a lux/strategic! And with V, it happens that I very occasionally have pre-mined a remote hill with coal/aluminum/uranium. But workers cost maintenance, so one should not have too much of this, but I like the look on-screen!

You'll just be giving a potential enemy a means to heal by pillaging.

For sure that would be true for MP, but is the AI smart enough to ever bother?

I'm slightly OCD and so always improve the tiles anyway - farm on Plains or Grassland, mine on hills, trading post elsewhere. It probably is bad gameplay, though, as the AI will pillage those improvements and heal their units.

This is a good question. Build forts, but only if you have a unit to put in each fort. Am I correct in assuming that an enemy can use your forts against you?

A fort improves a hex's defensive bonus by 50% for units stationed in that hex. However, they do not provide a defensive bonus to units in enemy territory.

So, you can effectively build several lines of forts, forcing the enemy to gradually push you back, with no benefit from their captured ground other than the odd pillage heal.

Throw in a Citadel or two, plonked down to grab luxuries and resources after a war popped out a couple of GGs, and they're not dislodging you without Artillery or Bombers.

Thanks lidsay for sharing that it, I certainly missed it, and that had made me reluctant to construct them. My idle workers will now spam forts instead of useless mines and farms!

Before you spam forts, keep in mind that enemy civs can pillage those forts for healing and gold. Unless you are prepared to fortify units in those forts during wartime, you might consider leaving those tiles unimproved. If you have nothing else for workers to do, consider deleting your excess workers; by the time you need more workers later in the game, you can build them in a turn or two.

I already confessed in this thread that improving (non lux/strat) tiles 4+ hexes out is counterproductive. I do it for the aesthetics.

For MP, this kind of sub-optimal behavior could really cost you. But for SP, I think it is pretty harmless. I never see the AI pillage except when injured during a fights, and almost all fights in my territory are near cities.

Here's a related random question: Does pillaging take gold from the tile owner? It seems to me that the tile owner loses partial use of the tile, plus the time to repair it of course, but otherwise it is just a perk for the pillager.

Nothing wrong with getting Forts to be one turn away from completion :)

Here's a related random question: Does pillaging take gold from the tile owner? It seems to me that the tile owner loses partial use of the tile, plus the time to repair it of course, but otherwise it is just a perk for the pillager.

Pillaging turns an improvement into gold, no deduction from the victim's treasury.

With two speed boosts (Pyramids, Citizenship or Quick speed), you can repair in one turn for continual pillage healing and revenue. Throw in March and Medic, and you've got an XP-farming bombardment that'll pay for itself :D

Top Bottom