Do you quit on games you know you can't loose?

I often do that...Yeah. defeats stay in your record and eventually makes you look like you have a bad winning streak.

I do, plus I quit on games that I don't find very interesting anymore. Bad location after 125-150 turns or can't settle more than 2 decent cities with just garbage dirt left, I'll usually just call it quits, I don't have the time to complete uninteresting games. :(

I like to see how long it takes to finish but if it's a question of tedious moping up for a domination win then I sometimes can't be bothered

Frequently. When you get to a point where you cannot possibly lose or cannot realistically win then playing on is not very interesting.

A game is boring when I know I will be the winner. What I'm looking for is a challenge. The great is to reverse a situation. AI is so stupid most of the time than always gaps are numerous.
Use CT, long range naval warfare, liberate and rebirth opponents to make them inconditional friends, Spies, Word congress, etc... I play Immortal/Marathon and I never lose what ever the location or bad start.
What's the point to replay again and again to make sure it will be easy !

Yes. Some of the victory conditions are kinda silly - for instance Domination. If my army's unbeatable and I own half the world already, I shouldn't have to mop up the remaining three capitals in order to win - the game's already over and anything left is just a tedious slog with no tension.

I have the same problem with the Total War games, the victory requirements are too high in those, too.

Yes, yes I do. Almost every single one. I just can't justify spending 4-5 more hours clicking 'next turn' when I know I have won by turn 120. [Immortal]

In Civ V I've completed almost every game. A big contrast to Civ III where I almost never ever played a game past the renaissance...

Yes. Some of the victory conditions are kinda silly - for instance Domination. If my army's unbeatable and I own half the world already, I shouldn't have to mop up the remaining three capitals in order to win - the game's already over and anything left is just a tedious slog with no tension.

Yes, I've thought that there should be a "supremacy" victory condition. I know everyone says the score is meaningless, but in my experience once the human is substantially ahead on the score they don't lose. Or just make domination >50% of the OCs. SV is the easiest now and CV seems about right. ( DiploV is stupidly hard but who ever plays for that? )

Yes, I've thought that there should be a "supremacy" victory condition. I know everyone says the score is meaningless, but in my experience once the human is substantially ahead on the score they don't lose. Or just make domination >50% of the OCs. SV is the easiest now and CV seems about right. ( DiploV is stupidly hard but who ever plays for that? )

Domination victory is easiest followed by Diplomatic. All you have to do is build the Forbidden Palace, grab up all the CS's and wait.

Domination victory is easiest followed by Diplomatic. All you have to do is build the Forbidden Palace, grab up all the CS's and wait.

I think you and I must play on different settings.

I've recently been quitting my games. I think it takes stamina or some good physical condition to get a domination victory.

Been playing on Prince, King lately.

I play immortal, packed maps (i.e. 50% more than the standard number of AIs for the map size). I cannot just decide I'll have this wonder and that one. My chances of getting any wonder, especially one the AI typically favors, is small.

As to OP question, I am playing at a hard enough level that I am almost never very confident about winning. The few games I have done really well, VC was only a few turns away once I knew things were locked up, so for those I pressed on too. I think I might quit early for Epic/Marathon for non-domination runs, as I would think those games get tedious.

I play ... packed maps (i.e. 50% more than the standard number of AIs for the map size).

What do you use for AI:CS ratio? How did you come to playing this way and why do you like it?

Always have raging barbarians and of course difficulty level, yup.

You can have fewer AI on bigger maps too, depending on who they are that can make it very interesting - I always play random, on Large maps with say 10 players including you at a difficulty level one above what you're used to - well, keeps me busy.......

Always have raging barbarians and of course difficulty level, yup.

You can have fewer AI on bigger maps too, depending on who they are that can make it very interesting - I always play random, on Large maps with say 10 players including you at a difficulty level one above what you're used to - well, keeps me busy.......

Does going from Prince to King impose a 'number of units' limitation?

I got a 'you have too many unit's so it's penalty time' message the other day. Can't remember seeing that before.

Top Bottom