Current (SVN) development discussion thread

Leoreth

Blue Period
Okay, now to use this subforum we're having. I think one of the main things we should keep apart is discussing the latest release and the current developments that are only available via SVN. This is the thread for doing the latter for now on. The main reason is that everything only confuses people who are new to the modmod and don't understand where to find all those civs and events everyone is talking about.

In case you stumbled across this thread and don't know what SVN is, I'll quote my explanation from the main thread:
Is there a way I can play with the most recent additions/fixes without waiting for the next release?
There is, and it's called SVN. SVN or Subversion is a software that provides an online repository for data which can be connected to a folder in one's Explorer. From then on, I can commit recent changes to this repository and you can update your version of it (you can't commit without password, though ;)).
The DoC repository is available HERE. The easiest way to access it under Windows is to download and install Tortoise SVN. After that, you can right-click on your Beyond the Sword\Mods\ folder and the new option "SVN Checkout" will appear. This will open a prompt where you enter DoC's SVN URL ("https://subversion.assembla.com/svn/Dawn_of_Civilization/"). This will create a new folder "Dawn_of_Civilization" in your Mods folder. You will have to rename it to "RFC Dawn of Civilization" for the modmod to work. Afterwards, you only have to right-click on that folder and select "SVN Update" to get my most recent updates.

IMPORTANT: You have to rename the folder you downloaded to "RFC Dawn of Civilization" for the mod to work. Otherwise you will encounter situations where the mod won't have scenarios or starting its scenarios will result in an error.

Keep on discussing :)

This isn't so much a bug as a feature, but what am I supposed to do as Mongolian when they quite literally have a hundred units on spawn? And of course it doesn't help when every single city has walls and castles...

India just got beaten to Buddhism and Hinduism by Babylon in my China game.

I'll soon commit some changes to weaken China a little due to the recent complaints, including:

- Chinese later (from middle ages on) tech cost increased by 10%
- changed Taixue to +25% research
- Castles now require the Vassalage civic, and because Taizong prefers Bureaucracy shouldn't be built anymore
- China discouraged from researching Engineering (less pikemen)
- China discouraged from building "counter" units like pikemen

I've also disabled the Chinese AI's focus on Writing in case the human player controls Babylonia and hasn't invented Writing yet, to give them a chance to make it (this doesn't mean that China won't go Writing first, it's only as likely as every other tech).

Please take a look if these changes pan out.

Because this is the SVN thread, I'll post another problem I'm having (sorry Leoreth). When I attempt to create the new folder in the Mods foler (with the correct URL given in the description) I get a message that says:
The target folder C:\Program Files (x86)\2K Games\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4 Complete\Beyond the Sword\Mods\Dawn_of_Civilization is not empty! Are you sure you want to checkout/export into that folder?

I click Yes anyway.

After an average of 27 seconds I see:
Can't make directory 'C:\Program Files (x86)\2K Games\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4 Complete\Beyond the Sword\Mods\Dawn_of_Civilization': Access is denied

This is probabaly a minor issue that can be solved by some kind of access or password that I don't know about, but that's what happens when you lead a life of a (somewhat) computer n00b. Assistance would be greatly appreciated.

No need to be sorry. Am I right to suspect you're using Vista? I suppose it's a problem with the folder access, unfortunately I don't use it myself so I can't tell you exactly how to enable it. Either you visit your folder properties and look how to enable free access, or log into the administrator account, from which it should work anyway.

How can I get a password so that I have access to updates?
I am a total novice when it comes to this game, all i know is that i love it! :)

Thanks very much to all those who have developed BTS, RFC DOC and Synthesis, you have made me very very happy :) :) :)

Thanks for playing! :)

You shouldn't need a password to download (i.e. "checkout" or "update") the SVN files. You're only required a password to commit changes, which I won't reveal for obvious reasons ;)

Thanks for the reply :)
Turns out I'm having the same problem as HurriCline. I've enabled free access to the folders (the only way I can see to do this is by unclicking 'read only'), and I am the administrator. But still I am denied access :( :(
And I am on Windows 7.

There's so much I have to learn!

Can you quote the exact error message you get?

Yep, it reads:

Can't make directory 'C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization
4\Beyond the Sword\Mods\Dawn_of_Civilization': Access is denied.

Make the folder on the desktop, SVN it, then move it to the Mods folder, you can update it after that

I did what you said civ king and it worked. There was a slight hiccup in the downloading but I clicked SVN update and it seemed to finish downloading fine. I did as Leoreth said in the OP and DoC ran fine. So stemcally2000, this should work for you just fine because I had the same problem as you and have Windows 7 as well. Thank you Leoreth and civ king :goodjob:

Great to see that it worked :)

Don't worry about these little disruptions while downloading. The repository is hosted on a free site so it is to be expected that it's not possible to download several hundred megabytes in one part.

I've changed the Babylonian UP to "You begin the game with the knowledge of Animal Husbandry, Pottery and Archery" and achieved the UHV in the first try afterwards. Research was rather fast so I couldn't even improve the terrain fast enough to take advantage of masonry to build the Oracle, for example.

The other two goals weren't that much of a problem, either (+2 happiness from pagan temple + Pantheon was rather powerful in that situation), I was able to outgrow Varanasi and Chang'an with size 6 and two wonders were enough to get enough culture.

I'll start tuning down their tech speed to make up for it next, but before that I'll commit the current version so you can try out for yourself.

It also includes a changed Khmer UHV: the first goal now tasks them to control Shwedagon Paya, Borobudur and Wat Preah Pisnulok in 1450 AD and the third now makes you spread both Buddhism and Hinduism to 35% combined.

Size 6? I find myself losing with size 8... maybe partly because I play on Marathon but still, that's a pretty drastic difference.

Don't know about Marathon, might make a difference. But even so, I don't think size 8 would've been a problem because currently you can easily discover Bronze Working in time to get access to the wheat.

I wonder one thing.
[Maybe post this in wrong thread again]

As Varanasi is located there,
Is it still possible to built Pataliputra?

Now, this is the right thread (after all, it concerns something that doesn't exist in 1.73). And Varanasi and Pataliputra are on neighboring tiles, so no. But I actually changed the Indian spawn tile to Pataliputra today because that results in a much better city placement (the only thing we lose unfortunately is Dhaka).

Top Bottom